Orbiter becoming a procedural universe..

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Somehow, many internet users feel entitled to free answers, services etc. in a way that would never fly in real life.

Because it takes a big mental capacity to actually feel, that you are interacting with other humans and not a technical service. It easy to "know" that there must be another human on the other end of the tube, but it takes a lot more to actually behave like there could be a human on the other end. Some even rely on that behavior to try out behaviors not possible in real life, assuming that nobody will think too much about the human doing that.

DelRioPilot

Reaction score
I always thought it would be great if there were a space simulator which melded the realism of Orbiter, with the expansiveness of Space Engine, and perhaps even the creativity of KSP.

It's rather astonishing that the last and only realistic space simulator to attempt a similar feat was Microsoft Space Simulator, back in 1994! I recall it included not only historic spacecraft, but also futuristic spacecraft, and the capability to explore exoplanets in other systems, as well as a black hole.

In an Orbiter/Space Engine sim, I feel like the problem of interstellar travel could be solved with a little sci-fi elements. For example including the theoretical NASA warp spacecraft. Then, once travel to a new system is complete, smaller ships docked to the interstellar craft would rely on normal Newtonian physics, like the DeltaGlider in orbiter.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's rather astonishing that the last and only realistic space simulator to attempt a similar feat was Microsoft Space Simulator, back in 1994!

Take a look at Artlav's Spaceway. Orbiter and SpaceEngine combined. MSS is not coming close IMHO.