Orbiter being sold at amazon :-(

Havner

Reaction score
  • I have contacted amazon to remove the product page itself, and they have refused because there is currently no active listing.

I don't quite follow their logic. If there were a listing they'd remove the product page with a listing altogether but if there is no listing they won't remove just the product page?

Anyway nice to hear that it's somehow solved.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I don't quite follow their logic. If there were a listing they'd remove the product page with a listing altogether but if there is no listing they won't remove just the product page?

Anyway nice to hear that it's somehow solved.

just what I mean, too.
good that this has been solved now!

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Here's a forum-thread from 2007 where some users discuss the same problem and the same company (butterfly-media): http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=3443

And here's butterfly-media's own website: http://www.butterfly-media.co.uk/

This seems like organized criminal business, abusing something called "drop-shipping", which probably isn't about to stop anytime soon:

Google "drop-shipping" to learn more.

Now, while we're at it, are we criminals if we use Orbiter in videos that we put on youtube? I just came to think of this when I re-read the Orbiter-terms. They seem to indicate that even that kind of use is illegal? I hope I'm wrong ofcourse :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Drop shipping itself isn't really illegal, it is just a good cover up for illegal activities. Who is the manufacturer of the Orbiter DVDRs? I would say, in a slight assumption, Butterfly Media themselves. They thus don't act as middle-man, they simply steal software and sell it as their re-branded product.

Because if they would be real middle-man, they could just take money for giving you a download link to Orbiter. ;) Which would be too obvious.

I never made use of drop shipping, I always rely on the retailed to be responsible as my contact person: Even if my local shop had to order something more extravagant from the United States of A, this shop remained responsible for warranty and delivery. In drop shipping, the manufacturer is responsible, you simply pay somebody a lot of money for organizing the contact with the manufacturer.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Hm. I think we should buy that list they mention on Butterfly Media's website and offer it for free on the internet. That would ruin that man's 'business'. I've read that page, and the money he gets from the games he sells is so good that he's given up his job. :lol:

Also, it's not illegal to create Orbiter videos. I guess this is the part that worries you! :)

Orbiter License said:
* You will not use Orbiter or any parts of it to advertise, promote, present or sell any software or other product without explicit prior written permission by the licensor.

We don't promote other software or product, so it's fine. :)

Last edited:

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
That man wants money. He (ILLEGALLY) sells software that you can download at no cost.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
coz some guy running a somewhat legal game distribution racket thought he would try and make 100% profit on ffreeware

personally i think he's a tool, either intentionally putting freeware on amazon, or unintentionally forgetting to check the products he gets from his "supplier"

edit: Ninja'd by Rtyh

Keatah

Reaction score
I would tend to guess if Orbiter-based videos were illegal and against the terms of Orbiter usage, then Martin would have said something by now. I'm sure he has enjoyed the videos over the years as much as we have.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would tend to guess if Orbiter-based videos were illegal and against the terms of Orbiter usage, then Martin would have said something by now. I'm sure he has enjoyed the videos over the years as much as we have.

They have a clearly visible promotion value of Orbiter. ;)

Linguofreak

Reaction score

Well, there always is the possibility that there's some clause in the Orbiter license that inadvertently makes such things illegal without Martin intending them to be, but in that case it still remains legal in practice, if not in theory, since Martin isn't suing anybody over the issue. (Plus, the polite thing is to go by Martin's wishes rather than the Orbiter license. If you found a loophole that let you do something nasty with Orbiter, and Martin asked you to stop, the fact that it was technically legal and he couldn't sue wouldn't make it any more right).

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Since Martin has commented positively on both my own videos and Tex's, that I've seen, I don't think it's an issue. However if I were to use Orbiter to advertise something else, with a view to making a profit, I think that's where the license comes in to play.

Making videos to show off your addons seems perfectly legitimate too, as they're not standalone products, and I've yet to see one being sold rather than freeware.

Tommy

Reaction score
I suspect that if you tried to SELL Orbiter videos and profit from that, Martin might object. In that case, the video would be the "other product".

I imagine the main point is whether Orbiter is being used to create or promote a product for profit, rather than free of charge.

indonesianorbinaut

Reaction score
Tommy said:
I suspect that if you tried to SELL Orbiter videos and profit from that, Martin might object. In that case, the video would be the "other product".

I imagine the main point is whether Orbiter is being used to create or promote a product for profit, rather than free of charge.
I think so,Tommy

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Thanks. Licenses can be a funny thing, with all the devils being in the details of all that lawyer-like language. Not that the orbiter-license is bad like that, but it's always good to be sure :)

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Drop shipping itself isn't really illegal, it is just a good cover up for illegal activities. Who is the manufacturer of the Orbiter DVDRs? I would say, in a slight assumption, Butterfly Media themselves. They thus don't act as middle-man, they simply steal software and sell it as their re-branded product.

This can be easily determined...

First of all we'll set up a FALSE IDENTITY to buy the CONTRABAND material, then we will perform FORENSIC ANALYSIS on the EVIDENCE and we'll use our wall-mounted multitouch display with tablet remote control to LINK UP the SUSPECT to the ILLEGAL ACTIVITY.

Once we have enough PROOF OF CULPABILITY, we will send a CRACK TEAM to PUNISH the PERP with EXTREME PREJUDICE and dispatch WAR DELTAGLIDER "AJAX" to BRING BACK HIS BODY!

/Caffeine

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
First of all we'll set up a FALSE IDENTITY to buy the CONTRABAND material, then we will perform FORENSIC ANALYSIS on the EVIDENCE and we'll use our wall-mounted multitouch display with tablet remote control to LINK UP the SUSPECT to the ILLEGAL ACTIVITY.

We already know that the DVDs are mass-produced in a tiny DVD Fab in England.