Important Orbiter Forum Migration to XenForo

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
O.K. It seemed that the "not yet read" state was from some time ago (backup date?!).
I managed to read all the new posts from yesterday & today and marked all the rest as read via the [Mark forums read] button. ?

Also, "Server Support Donations" did work! ? ?

Thanks for all the work done and all the future work you'll do!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What happened to the Orbiter ticket "sub-forum"?
This was provided by an addon for vBulletin which doesn't seem to exist for XenForo. We have retained the old forum for reference purposes and are still looking into how to bring that functionality over to the new board.

llarian

Reaction score
Still looking thru it after a brief look-see. Doesn't look too bad Xyon und Co.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hmmm, it appears I can no longer see the basement. How do I sign up for that again?
Had the same problem earlier, can access now.

I had to fix the permissions on the node, but it's also worth noting that the opt-in process for this has changed.

You'll find that there's now a tick box in your user preferences called "Basement Opt In". Ticking this, and saving the form, will instruct the board to grant you access to the Basement; conversly, unticking this and saving it will remove you from the group.

This does not happen instantaneously. It's controlled by a periodic task which runs once per hour. So there may be a delay between selecting the option and the result taking place.

Pioneer

Reaction score
WHOA. Now this is a great long-needed facelift. Greatly appreciate the hard work! ?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
So is Tapatalk integration dead?
I mean, I do hate Tapatalk, only used it for this forum, and the new mobile site is actually usable...
Just wondering :)

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
This looks and works great! Love the mobile version, it's like the desktop version, but on my phone, and in a usable sorta way. :)

The only thing we need is the ability to :hailprobe:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
This was provided by an addon for vBulletin which doesn't seem to exist for XenForo. We have retained the old forum for reference purposes and are still looking into how to bring that functionality over to the new board.

Might still be a good idea to have a ticket forum where "tickets" are just threads, just to have a central place for reporting. Otherwise forum bug reports will end up scattered everywhere.

Other than that, things generally look good, though I'm probably going to have to switch browsers on mobile: my current primary browser has been annoying me with various little things, and now I can't figure out how to get it to request the desktop site (but I can on a more mainstream browser), so I'll have to switch to a browser for which the forum is actually useable.

EDIT: BTW, is the gallery gone? My sig pic is missing.

EDIT2: My account had the basement opt in unchecked, but could see the basement. I've now checked the opt in box, but you might want to confirm that accounts that neither had basement access pre-migration nor have checked the box since are properly excluded.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Beep boop.
Looks nice.
Despite switching to 24h time format it's still sowing time in am/pm.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm, also me being able to log in with an old password makes me wonder about security.
Do the two forums just happen to have a compatible hash format or were passwords stored in plain text?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hm, also me being able to log in with an old password makes me wonder about security.
Do the two forums just happen to have a compatible hash format or were passwords stored in plain text?

I don't know exactly what's typical for Forum software, but I would be surprised if at least one of the following isn't true:

1) Forum software typically uses some industry-standard crypto library that is already part of the OS middleware. I would especially expect this on *nix systems.
2) To attract customers, new forum software packages use the same hash algorithms as old packages, or at least have them available for back/cross-compatibility.
3) Forum software typically creates an OS-level user for each forum user, and as long as the OS user database remains in place, the same credentials will work.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

1597389265172.png

Essentially the importer that brought your account over has bridged that gap, and your password is still encrypted and was never stored unencrypted.

EDIT: BTW, is the gallery gone? My sig pic is missing.

No, but the URLs may have changed. Have a look in the "Media" section.

EDIT2: My account had the basement opt in unchecked, but could see the basement. I've now checked the opt in box, but you might want to confirm that accounts that neither had basement access pre-migration nor have checked the box since are properly excluded.

If you were already opted-in to the Basement on the old forum, the option won't be ticked in your preferences but you will have the usergroup that lets you into the Basement already because it was copied over in the migration. The mechanism is really just for new members to be able to opt-in themselves, but you can opt out by ticking it, waiting an hour, then unticking it and waiting another hour. :D

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
So is Tapatalk integration dead?
I mean, I do hate Tapatalk, only used it for this forum, and the new mobile site is actually usable...
Just wondering :)

I think so. Despite our efforts to preserve it, I don't think it's usable in its current state.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you were already opted-in to the Basement on the old forum, the option won't be ticked in your preferences but you will have the usergroup that lets you into the Basement already

I cannot confirm that behaviour, as I initially didn't see the basement until I opted in again on the new forum. It's possible there was just something lost in migration, though, I guess.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I cannot confirm that behaviour, as I initially didn't see the basement until I opted in again on the new forum. It's possible there was just something lost in migration, though, I guess.
But you've opted in now and it's visible again?

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I've created support forums for both OF and OHM. Both categories contain 2 forums:
  • bugs
  • feature requests
I don't think I need to explain what goes where. If you're not sure if it's a problem/bug/feature, you can post a question in the bug category, and prefix is with the question prefix :)

Reactions: GLS