Orbiter Forum Mission to Mercury

Voyager

Reaction score
An idea that has come up with me recently. The idea is that we could build a small space station and/or a small base. The base would be an exploratory base to study the sun. If we study the sun, we could develop a small station in orbit around the sun and some spacecraft in case the station crashes.

Here are my proposals:

1. A space station orbiting Mercury is developed and built, for further operations on Mercury. The station would have a core with several other modules for operations to land on Mercury. The station must have modules that can hold UMMU and UCGO.

2. A base on the surface of Mercury is built to act as a research center. The base will be big, and have several spaces where transports can land and unload UMMU's while they enter the base. There will be a massive control base in the middle while there are 4 other control modules near the edges of the base where they monitor the activities there. The base must have full operations and be able to have several spacecraft for standby in case of a breach.

3. The completion of proposal's one and two. The completion of a base on Mercury and the space station orbiting Mercury to act as a stepping point to Sun Space Stations.

I am open to criticism. I have been thinking about this project for a while.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Well, there's already the Orbiter Forum Mission to Mars (OFMM), which I see you are a member of. My advice is to wait until that project is wrapped up, so you can devote your time the Mercury mission fully. You can perhaps learn from the OFMM and then recruit members for this. It would be too hard, I think, to split your time between your virtual space agency, OFMM, and now this. Just my two cents.

Voyager

Reaction score
Well, this will not be launching till the start of August-September.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but Voyager, what kind of skill do you have in Orbiter?
I'm no flying ace myself, but it doesn't seem to me that you have a very firm grasp of what you're talking about.
Again, I don't mean to insult you.

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
Okay, this is a bit of a pent-up rant that I wasn't planning on posting, but since this is the third one of these I feel it's time.

I think OFSS was a spectacular idea. I flew a shuttle resupply mission myself, and while I was preparing for that I saw how much dedication the planners had to the project. OFSS is (I think?) over now. OFMM is also a brilliant idea; I see it as the natural extension of OFSS. I don't have the guts to read through the whole topic, but I do hope to join the project later on, if only to fly a mission. Assuming OFMM continues with support (which, judging from the prospering discussion topic, it will), it will occupy a lot much communal Orbinaut time to plan and fly the missions. O-F doesn't need another project like this right now.

Also, Voyager, you've made three of these so far. I don't like to pass judgement, but it honestly seems to me like you're just trying to capitalize on the success of OFMM to kickstart your own project. Take that with a grain of salt.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Yea I was trying to be nice in my post, but I was thinking the same things. You proposed the Very High Orbit station, a VSA(which is not an altogether bad idea-some things just need to be ironed out first) and now this. The active community members would not be able to contribute to so many projects at once. Maybe after OFMM comes to completion, but that will be in a long time.