Project Orbiter Galaxy

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A thing I've been thinking about on and off is the actual colors of stars... I mean, our Sun is technically "Yellow", however, seen from space it's white. All the stars in the sky apear to our eyes as white as well. What would other spectral classes look like when seen from a closer vicinity? Would they still apear white, or would they show shades? Would an M9 still look white, or would it be a bit redish to the naked eye? also, would an O0 look white, or would it look bluish? (the main question here is, of course: do I have to make some other sun sprites with different colors, or can I just leave the dafault one for all spectral classes?)
Here is a link on star Colors. Hope that helps.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
thanks for the link. Those seem to be the colors if the surface temperature is converted directly to color temperature I'm afraid, it doesn't neccessarily mean that a star would apear in that color to the human eye. But they might do. I'm having a whole bunch of other trouble currently, so if I'll bother with star colors it will probably be a last minute addition or so...

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well that was the wrong link (couldn't find the site last night) this should be what the stars would actually look Like.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ah yes, that looks like what I need. Thanks a lot! :cheers:

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:12 PM ----------

After some failed attempts, I finally managed to do my first direct flight from one star to the other. It's not quite perfect yet, since the velocity vector doesn't get rotated into the new ecliptic frame on arrival yet, but that will be implemented, don't worry.

Alas warp drive MKII doesn't work in Orbiter 2010, and relativistic Warp mfd needs the Framework 3.5 runtimes, which I can't install on my ancient OS, so I won't be able to test it. Jumpdrive MFD works, allthough it leaves the field of view at maximum after the final jump, which looks a bit awkward. But I can't put in a fix for any conceivable Jumpdrive out there.

Also, Artlav sent me a second version of the texture generator, looks now I can get pretty much going with it...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Alas warp drive MKII doesn't work in Orbiter 2010
And no one bothered to tell me?
Here is an update:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2297"]WarpDrive MFD Mk2[/ame]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:lol:

darn you're fast. I just noticed it half an hour ago, I'll give this one a go.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
darn you're fast.
Wait for hard drive to spin up, dig up & open the project, rename a couple obsolete functions, compile & try it out, pack & upload, done.
5 minutes tops since there's just nothing to do.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
erm... this might be a really silly question, but how can I tell a planet where to look for its texture??

eyu100

Reaction score
erm... this might be a really silly question, but how can I tell a planet where to look for its texture??

Can't you just put the texture in the Textures directory? ...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
they will a) be tougher to manage, because I can't just delete a whole directory when I need to remove them, and it will b) give me quite some trouble because of double naming, since the planet names are currently pretty generic "a", "b", "c" and so forth...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
yes, but how do I tell my planets where to find their textures? I haven't seen any texture parameter in the cfg documentation...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
thanks for the link. Those seem to be the colors if the surface temperature is converted directly to color temperature I'm afraid, it doesn't neccessarily mean that a star would apear in that color to the human eye.

Not quite sure what you mean here. Stars are about as close to being perfect blackbodies as any non-man-made object can be (unless you count the cosmic microwave background). As a result, their colors can be pretty exactly predicted from their temperatures.

The sticky point is that the same color can be perceived differently in different surroundings, which is why digital cameras tend to have different settings for indoor and outdoor shooting.

In any case, to answer your question about the color of an M9, it would have the color of the filament of a lit incandescent light bulb. In fact, the temperature range of incandescent light bulbs (~2000 K to 3300 K) is about the same as that of red dwarves (~2000 K to 3700 K).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks, Linguofreak.

I ALMOST finished the implementation of direct flight. All stellar systems now have an ecliptic, allthough it's currently completely random. I might change that if I stumble over some more reliable information on the topic. The ecliptic is displayed as a disc around the star when the mousecursor hovers above it in the map, to enable a bit of ahead-planning.

Vessel Position and speed are now rotated relative to the ecliptic of the targeted star, so when you get there your position and most of all your heading relative to the ecliptic is what it actually should be (be prepared to spend some delta-V for ecliptic plane alignement in most of your travels!). The only thing that doesn't yet work is the ships orientation. It's not facing where it should (velocity vector is ok, but the ships nose doesn't point to the same spot relative to the prograde velocity anymore).

This little bit of playing around with galactic and local frames made me wonder about wormholes (or jumppoints, for that matter): When traveling through a wormhole, what would happen to the ships velocity? It would seem pretty logical that it stays the same in the galactic frame, but then it would be possible to enter a wormhole nose first and at the same time leave it backwards at the other end :lol:

Just a bit of mind stretching, though, nothing currently relevant for the project.

Alas it seems impossible to put planet textures into their own folder, so I have to replan my texture output routines a bit... But we're well on track for a release of version 0.6 now. Fix that rotation problem, Fix that texture problem, fix that still persisting double click problem, maybe put in some different sun textures, and off we go. I'll have a rough time in September, though, so either I'll make at the end of this month (unlikely) or it will be somewhere at the beginning of october.

EDIT:
Forgott to mention, there's an enerving bug people will have to put up with, because it's orbiter related. I don't know the exact distance, but when you get too far from anything, Orbiter crashes when initialising the Hud (critical distance is somewhere between one and two and a half lightyears, not sufficiently tested yet). That means that you'll have to do without the Hud for the aproach to the target star, until you're in close enough. Acitvate it, and you'll find yourself on the desktop... maybe Martin will find time to fix it, it might be fortunate that my developement coincides with the developement of the first patch for Orbiter 2010. Then again, I don't expect too much enthusiasm for fixing bugs that only one add-on has trouble with.

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
nice little thing!

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

small update:

Face fixed the multithreading problems, texture generation now implemented. :hail: Face!

As a backdraw, I have more problems with input event handling. The solution I accidentaly chose initialy (I had no Idea what I was actually doing :lol:) was more reliable for input handling but killed multithreading, now multithreading is working like a charm but I'm having severe strangeness showing up with the events... Will take some fixing still, I'm afraid.

I'm currently checking how long it takes for textures to be exported on different levels. I started exporting textures for your everyday system in Level8 (as far as I know the highest setting in the texture generator), and it's at it for solid 6400 seconds now... outch! at least its working on the last moon now.

So if you want all your planets in a system that highly textured, you'll better not have an FTL drive, because you might well arrive there before the bloody system is created :lol:

I guess I'm going to put in options to a) set the maximum texture level and b) setting desired texture levels for certain planet diameters and types. So you could have that punny first moon of a gas giant which you won't visit anyways in level2, while having that terrestrial planet with breathable atmosphere exportet at level 8, to get some optimisation.

Edit: sorry, a correction is in order... I forgott to delete the old texture files (level4, that goes reasonably fast, maybe 10 minutes or so), so I thought the export was practically finihsed... it wasn't indeed, it is now maybe about halfway through the system. after freaking 8000 seconds (that's over two hours for those with weak math). This will definitaly need some optimisation. I'll stop the experiment here and get some sleep. Whole rest of the week is taken by work, I'm afraid.

Last edited:

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow texture generator takes awhile. That sucks. The way i'll travel will get me there in seconds.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, the texture generator was designed to do one planet at a time, and only up to lv 3-4 globally, with a heavy LOD scheme taking over after.

If you want all at once, good-looking and in hi-res,there's not much i can do - you'll have to pick any two.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, the texture generator was designed to do one planet at a time, and only up to lv 3-4 globally, with a heavy LOD scheme taking over after.

If you want all at once, good-looking and in hi-res,there's not much i can do - you'll have to pick any two.

I know, and expected the problem. I was still a bit shocked by how long level 8 textures need for export. I thought it shouldn't take more than an hour... :lol:

I wouldn't need all at once either, of course, but it's the only solution I can implement with my limited skill. A dynamic generation would have to be implemented into OGLA, I think. There seems to be a problem with high-res cloud textures too, but I have no time to post screenshots currently. I'll get back to it when I get back from my trip.

It strikes me as odd though that the cloud textures take up two times the space of surface textures...