Orbiter gets a little mention in xkcd

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Hm. I'm not so sure about that. "We are strictly an Orbiter shop" is not necessarily an immediate hint to Orbiter the Space Flight Simulator. You'd have to be into KSP forums or even Orbiter itself already to get that reference. Everybody else might just think "yes, yes, NASA has actually built an orbiter for real, not in a computer program".

True, but Xkcd does have an associated forum where people discuss and explain what the heck Randell Munroe was talking about in the comic. People are probably talking about what Orbiter is in....

... and no I just checked. Everyone is talking KSP...

Sigh...

:facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We need a better PR department. :dry:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Awfull thing to ask, but was is Xkcd?
I could search for it, however I feel I'll get better responses here.

N.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Awfull thing to ask, but was is Xkcd?
I could search for it, however I feel I'll get better responses here.

There's this guy Randall Munroe who studied physics and worked as an independent contractor for NASA. He was drawing some comics at this time, which he uploaded.
Then NASA didn't renew his contract so he didn't have a job but then decided to make his webcomic stuff his job.

So now there's xkcd.com where you'll find over a thousand comic strips ranging from topics like spaceflight over love to movies. Probably everything he's interested in gets a reference at one point.

And since it's probably one of the most read webcomics on the internet and its influencing popular culture that much, getting a reference in xkcd is the modern version of inspiring a fictional character in a well-read book.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Understood,N.

2Gm over cxc

Reaction score
"Contrary to popular belief, space is not silent. Stick your head out the window and you will hear Air on the G string." :lol:

"Captain! Explain to me how you lost a 100 million dollar spacecraft and scrubbed the entire mission, losing our launch window....on the taxiway!!!!":rant:

"Oh. Well, yeah, I kinda screwed up. I hit Alt-Tab to go online to see what button I needed to press to deploy the MTKS satellite once I reached 400km Venus equatorial orbit. I forgot I was using the D3D9 client.....":shrug:

Last edited: