Orbiter...in space?

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
So, some of the gang had an idea. Petition SpaceX to include a USB flash drive containing orbiter and the essential addons, on the next COTS flight. Or we could fold Martin up in a bag and shoot him up as well...though I think that could be a bit...difficult.

EDIT: Here's a skeleton list of what we thought should be included.

OrbiterSound
UMMU
UCGO
AMSO
Shuttle Fleet
XR-2
XR-5
Loru's SSK (But will the ISS blend?)
Thornton's ISS and Soyuz

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
essential addons?

D3D9 Client
XR-2
Space Shuttle Ultra
Space Shuttle Fleet
ISS 3.2
AMSO
DGIV
Velcro Rockets
IMFD
LTMFD
Launch MFD
Attitude MFD
Aerobrake MFD
Glideslope MFD
Basesync MFD
Burntime Calc MFD
DVTools MFD
Rendezvous MFD
Precession MFD

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Well... if not, we could always incinerate said USB key and fool 'em into it [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_burial"]being someone's ashes...[/ame]

Off topic, but some of Clyde Tombaugh's ashes are on New Horizons. Never new that!

EDIT: Hmmm... Cras may need a portable hard drive instead... :lol:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Umm, sounds good, but how exactly does one start to petition spacex?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Umm, sounds good, but how exactly does one start to petition spacex?

You don't.

At best you can contact their PR team but it's unlikely to gain any support. Even a USB stick is a few pounds of weight that translates to thousands of dollars to loft into orbit and for what reason?

Now, if it had an educational element you might have something but just to send a USB drive into orbit really wouldn't be of any interest to SpaceX

Keatah

Reaction score
I forwarded this thread to them. Hopefully some of the non-professional messages won't deter them..

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You don't.

At best you can contact their PR team but it's unlikely to gain any support. Even a USB stick is a few pounds of weight that translates to thousands of dollars to loft into orbit and for what reason?

Now, if it had an educational element you might have something but just to send a USB drive into orbit really wouldn't be of any interest to SpaceX

a usb stick is a few pounds? I know its money for every pound/kilo that they send into orbit, but most mem sticks I know of are barely 500 grams.

Keatah

Reaction score
Perhaps a better way would be to make some donations to a HAM operator and get him to build a mini-dish antenna and we could beam the code out there directly.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
a usb stick is a few pounds? I know its money for every pound/kilo that they send into orbit, but most mem sticks I know of are barely 500 grams.

It's not like we're sending a server rack of orbiter copies...

Keatah

Reaction score

Strip the housing down as much as possible. And the price could drop to a couple of thousand dollars. You've got to test everything, and integrate a container into the ship and all that good stuff. It will cost money.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Evil_Onyx
It was a wall of chickens, do you know how hard it is to place blocks as hundreds of chickens try and escape through the hole you are plugging.

what on earth started that?

Keatah

Reaction score
It's not like we're sending a server rack of orbiter copies...

Barely half a kilo?? Good god! That is still one heavy jumpdrive!

If weight is an issue, why not use microSD? That weighs far less than all the bugs that are impacted by the rocket as it ascends. Or the dead ones that collect in it as the vehicle is being assembled.

They could like stuff it in a bit of fabric or insulation or something.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What you don't see yet: We are talking about putting a (mostly serious) game on a multi-million spacecraft, that is supposed to carry a few million of NASA cargo to a multi-trillion international space station.

I would be deeply scared by what can all go wrong there, if your Orbiter experiment goes bad.

Not that for example testing a docking simulation of the Dragon based on Orbiter would be a bad idea. Contrary, I am sure it could work much better than many other solutions for the same problem.

But remember: we have no Dragon capsule of our own to terrorize... it is not our house we are entering, so we should be better being extremely nice and friendly so we can at least stand on the front lawn for a few minutes.

Keatah

Reaction score
We'll need to keep this thread serious and on-topic if we're to demonstrate seriousness to SpaceX.. If we do a microSD card, there's what, 32GB sizes available for $20.00? I''ll buy it. Or even two of them. And begin the downloading and copying and preparation of all the data to stuff on it.

We could run this phase for 6 months, and if you want something on it, you PM me and I'll get it done.

MicroSD is the way to go because of size and compatibility. Any computer can read it. It would be an interesting thing to see if it would hold up against the radiation and the general space environment. I could devise a package from household materials that would add nothing to the cost and negligible weight, 1/4th the weight of the card itself.

We could really test the x-ray proof and temperature proof claims to the extreme! The deluxe "durable" models are a little more expensive, but still quite affordable. So let's get the ball rolling.

---------- Post added at 02:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Please, no minecraft or chicken joke commentary. There are other threads for that. In fact, I want a moderator come in and clean up this thread and make it professional. Remove any superfluous comments please.

Keatah

Reaction score
I could look into that. But first we need to get a ride.