Orbiter is now open source

JDat

Reaction score
From my standpoint, Orbiter looks like orbital physics engine with addons.
Look on all this more wide:
Today it runs with DX7 input and is x32.
Tomorrow it will become x64 core with DX9 graphics addon.
Later it will run on linux (I hope) natively.
Then it will run over network on many raspberies + PCs to simulate great simpit.

Question is: why to insert into orbiter core Windows gibrish API and prevent Orbiter to become crossplatform? Addons in Orbiter is great thing. You can add almost anything to orbiter without messing with with core. Simply changing one joystick support with another is short term solution. Why not to look in future and do things flexible from start, instead of patching what we already have. As I said before: I see that next gen Orbiter will loose build-in MFDs (tey will be enabled in modules tab) and exist as separate DLLs (or something else in linux). The same is already true for grapjics client, ang hopefully for input modules (keyboard, mouse, joystick, Wii, TrackX etc).

Right now I already patched Kamaz ORB::Connect+Web addon and can control vessel from web+javascript. That mean: If I want I can control vessel via TCP from arduino or whatever. I will pot modifications and binary on github soon.

Your solutions tight Orbiter to Windows only (or linux + wine) and USB cable when it is possible to do input stuff over Bluetooth, Wifi, Ethernet or even LoRA. Don't glue your solution into core, give a freecom of choice. Instead of gluing joystick into core, it is more practical to add some API functions and callbacks into core for more flexible addon implementation.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Oh? Did Apple balk in to the demand and decided to support Vulkan on their M1 machines?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh? Did Apple balk in to the demand and decided to support Vulkan on their M1 machines?

Huh... completely forgot about that side of things. No, they didn't. There's molten, but I guess that's almost as much hassle as running DirectX in vine.
But hey, you'd get almost everything else, so... ?‍♂️

Fixerger

Reaction score
I think this change will bring a new life into Orbiter, thanks for all the work!

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I imagine many if not almost all users here got into Orbiter like I did, online search for 'realistic space simulator', and I ran across Orbiter. That was in 2005. Thank you very much Martins for creating this awesome simulator, and releasing it so others can enjoy and help improve it, and thanks to all the team over the years for creating all the improvements, add-ons, etc. O2016 is the best so far. For you guys, it's not a job like some of the other sims, it's your hobby and passion. That's what, in my opinion, makes it still the best realistic sim out there, probably the only one that's actually real. Unfortunately, I'm not a developer, I don't know an API from a blender or C++ or anything, last programming I've done was Qbasic and a smattering of VBA, no help here. So, I content myself with Wiki editing. So, hat's off to you guys for the best sim that money can buy . . . oh, wait, it's free, that's the best part of all! Kudos for making many years of enjoyment and hope it's around for generations to come. Maybe the kids and grandkids can eventually continue the mission. :hatsoff
:cheers::probe::hailprobe::hailprobe:

Reaction score
I just recieved this news recently and am pleasantly surprised at the spontaneity of the community to seize such an advantage. While I'm not a coder by any means, I do look forward to what advancement the community can come together! Thank you for all you have done up to this point! :hailprobe:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
It is based on my last svn snapshot, which is probably a bit past r90 but certainly not earlier.
I have no immediate plans for releases, but whenever it feels that something worthwhile has been added and the code is in a stable condition I may push a release on github. Possibly more frequently than in the past.
Sorry for the late/dumb comment, but this means that there won't be SVN updates anymore, doesn't it?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If only the 'old' Vespucci D could be made compatible again... sigh

Sadly hard to do without having the source code, also you CAN still use it - with an older version of Orbiter. All is still there. Enjoying Orbiter 2016 with all its glory would be hard than, but well, that is what happens when the lifecycle of a software module is over...

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I tried to run the nightly X64 build of Orbiter, but got error messages of missing vcruntime140.dll and ucrtbased.dll.
Installed the "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019 (version 16.9)", but still got the same error messages.

Is a different version of the VC runtime library required?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I tried to run the nightly X64 build of Orbiter, but got error messages of missing vcruntime140.dll and ucrtbased.dll.
Installed the "Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2019 (version 16.9)", but still got the same error messages.

Is a different version of the VC runtime library required?

I think the debug versions are required, because those builds use debug configurations.

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think the debug versions are required, because those builds use debug configurations.
Hi there..
Attempting to run nightly X64 build too.
Not getting francisdrake's error messages, but am missing something.
What version of D3D9Client is used with this ?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi there..
Attempting to run nightly X64 build too.
Not getting francisdrake's error messages, but am missing something.
What version of D3D9Client is used with this ?
Keep in mind that the posted nightly links point to the main branch. There is no D3D9Client in the main branch, it has its own branch named "d3d9client". AFAIK, the build infrastructure configuration that was checked in only builds the main branch, not other branches. But if you have a clone on github, you can easily edit that configuration to build the d3d9client branch, too.