Software Orbiter is working on Linux via Wine

KingPhillius

Reaction score
Hi all, I have Orbiter running on my Linux box with no glitches at all, except for one problem related to keyboard control. I am running a stock Wine installation (1.1.10) and all I had to do was install the vcrun6 package in order for it to start correctly.

The problem I'm hoping someone can help me with is related to the Scenario Editor. Everything works fine, up until I open the Scenario Editor - the keyboard does not work after this point, although mouse control still functions. I seem to remember having a similar issue on Windows with the keyboard randomly not working in Orbiter a few years back, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions with regards to tweaks/fixes I can employ to make Orbiter finally usable on my Linux PC :)

KingPhillius

Reaction score
Wine AppDB

Thanks for this, I had previously seen this and was hoping someone on these forums had come up with a solution :)

KingPhillius

Reaction score
Hi RisingFury, I'd be happy to tell you how I got it running on my machine. It seems to have only started running this well since Wine 1.0 was released (which was a revolutionary release for compatibility reasons). Won't do much good unless this keyboard issue is resolved though.

At the moment I have two choices, I 'either' use Orbiter or use Linux. I love Orbiter to bits but my choice will always be Linux, as so much of my other software is dependent upon it. This is not to put down Dr. Schweiger in anyway at all - this is a piece of Windows software and designed as such - compatibility with other platforms is not implied, and he does a great job producing such an excellent piece of software.

Hopefully someone will come up with a solution, whether it is the Wine developers or someone on these message boards - we are so tantalisingly close! All that is stopping this from full Linux useability is a keyboard issue.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow... I tried it on Wine 0.98 or something... was a while back and I hadn't used Linux since. Guess I now have a chance to go back to Linux :)

blane

Deep Space Operator
Reaction score
WINE has *vastly* improved. Worth a look!

dtra

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to run Orbiter on an Intel Macintosh using CrossOver Games (which I believe is based on Wine). The initial window appears, I press the button to launch Orbiter, the load screen appears and then orbiter crashes. I've tried a clean Orbiter distribution as well as the one I'm using on a PC. I've tried tweaking the video settings. I have also tried the GL beta but it won't even start. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dtra._

Quix0r

Reaction score
Website
www.ship-simu.org
That Wine has been improved is completely right. Many years ago, you could not play e.g. Deus Ex Invisible War, one year ago you where able to play it.

But still some games are not yet support, e.g. Need For Speed II is not working, but Speed-Dreams is a nice free (in free speech or freedom) is replacement (for car racing, but no police).

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have never been successfully able to run Orbiter with WINE...It'd be nice if someone who has it working posts a decent tutorial. There is gotta be a way to run the thing...I see people running much more complex games (graphics wise) then Orbiter with WINE...

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score