Question Orbiter mesh polycount guidelines

clipper

Reaction score
I'm currently developing a 3D model on AC3D that I intend to (convert to .msh) use in Orbiter eventually, and my intention is to make it relatively detailed in terms of polycount, and I was wondering on how well does Orbiter (2010 and 2016) handle such models in general terms as I never really made a model for Orbiter before (only for X-Plane) and would appreciate some input from those with more experience than me.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Rule of thumb used to be 20000 polys once, but that was for the old DirectX7 graphics.

Today you can exceed it, but you should remember that processing power is limited.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I use AC3D religiously for Orbiter. Just PM me.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Long time ago the recommendation was 10.000 poly per model. Today I get 50 fps showing a model with 20.000 polys even with a built-in Intel on-board graphic processor.

I think the art of game modelling is not to produce an over-detailed model, but to make a good-looking model by combining geometry (polygons) and textures. Keep in mind your model may not be alone in space, other vessels or bases may be nearby or docked.

There are good tutorials on low-poly modelling. These tips are useful for any game modeller.

clipper

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your input gentlemen, I appreciate it.
I use AC3D religiously for Orbiter. Just PM me.
I'll make sure I do that if I end up needing some specific info on AC3D and Orbiter, thanks again!