Gaming Orbiter photo's used on ESA website

Shadow Addict

Reaction score
I don't know about the legality, but either way I think it's just plain disrespectful to not credit those pics to Orbiter. :thumbsdown:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't remember this being illegal, as long as they don't claim that they own Orbiter.

The new license does permit commercial use of Orbiter AFAIR.

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/terms.php

EDIT: OF course it does not - the first paragraph is clear on that. So ISIS would need to ask martins for permission, since they are a commercial company.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Anyway it shows that Orbiter is becoming THE reference in spaceflight simulation :thumbup:

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Pure gold!! :) This is like finding NASA having used an orbiter pic as refrence :)

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I would not be too harsh on them. Sure, it would have been the polite way to name the source of the pictures. But any public use of Orbiter shows its value, which is far beyond of just being a 'game'.

Orbiter is _the_ public available space flight simulator. By the dedication of Martin and by the active involvement of its users it has reached a remarkable quality. Maybe we should rather encourage ESA to use more of Orbiter for their work, and talk positive about it :tiphat:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I wonder if Martin has seen this. Stuff like this does seem to crop up every now and again, along with those who will persist in trying to sell Orbiter, rather more irritating, the latter.

Anyway, it wouldn't have taken much for them to add a line crediting Orbiter and explaining that the images were used with consent.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
I say we should encourage them to use more orbiter pictures it will get orbiter publicity and it also shows as said before in this thread that orbiter is becoming much larger.

And before gary or insanity says something.

I am leaving tomarrow not today.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
This just makes me wonder; has anybody ever heard of an actual astronaut (or anybody who works for a space agency) playing orbiter?

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I say we should encourage them to use more orbiter pictures it will get orbiter publicity and it also shows as said before in this thread that orbiter is becoming much larger.

And before gary or insanity says something.

I am leaving tomarrow not today.
The only one that can decide what to do and how to proceed is Martin. There's a lot of community involvement, but Orbiter is still his work and property.

Blacklight

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
This just makes me wonder; has anybody ever heard of an actual astronaut (or anybody who works for a space agency) playing orbiter?
I would imagine that those guys are so swamped with the real deal that they'd probably rather do anything BUT when they get home.

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
You have a good point there. Why would you go home and play on a space flight simulator when that is all you do at work.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Is that a publicly available model of that satellite, or did somebody at ESA whip it up?

It would have been nice to see the modeler attributed also.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I see that the most people think it's good fir the publicity... yes it is. But as long ESA don't credit Orbiter, the people out there don't know it's Orbiter ;)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I believe there's at least one fairly well-known member of the community who works for NASA in some capacity, and I had a co-op with United Space Alliance for a semester, but don't know about astronauts.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:blink: They're here in Delft! I could easily take my bicycle and give them a visit, if I wanted to!

It doesn't make too much difference though: I think any message we have can as easily be sent with a friendly e-mail.

So, first of all, what message do we agree on? I guess we want them to give credits to Orbiter on all web pages where the Orbiter-rendered images are visible. And I guess that mr. Schweiger wants them to follow the terms of the license, but I'd leave it up to him to send that message.

Secondly, who is going to deliver the message?

Thirdly, I think it's important to keep it friendly, and not scare them away.