Donator
Reaction score
:uhh:

picture.php

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Looks like somebody 'foiled' your DeltaGlider while you were off on vacation or something.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
ETS Themis Launcher

ETSLauncher8.jpg

ETSLauncher9.jpg

ETSLauncher10.jpg

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Been a long time since I played Orbiter, but I decided to load up the Arrow with crew, cargo, and an XR2, then headed for Mars around Nov. 2011. Arrived 5 months and 1 week later, then landed at Olympus in the XR2. Shortly after unloading cargo and crew, sunset came and went offering a great sight early the next morning...

earth-from-mars.jpg

You can see the Earth and Moon, center right of the image, the brightest object in the early morning martian sky as I did a little star....err I mean Earth gazing from Mars. :p

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I didn't knew you could see the Moon from there. :cool:

Robsoie

Reaction score
Not something pretty, but a very immersive moment occured to me this night.

Aboard a XR2 with the default fuel settings i went from KSC into orbit with +/- 35% MAIN fuel left (i could have got it over 40% but i cut the SCRAM earlier than i usually do, and it showed in term of fuel consumption), without a specific goal in mind just to relax admiring the Earth below.

At some point i thought, now how about ISS.
As i didn't care about ISS position when taking off from KSC, not having planned to get there, its location now was far from ideal, so i had to burn more MAIN fuel than i should, first stupid mistake.
But i'm sure it would have been good.

But very stupid second mistake, i made several approach speed decrease, then approach speed increase etc... completely uneeded corrections during the approach, without thinking of looking at my MAIN fuel gauge.

When i finally went in eye contact with ISS ... oops no more MAIN fuel, and i'm not yet good for the speed approach.

Fortunately i had enough RCS fuel left, so going in Transition RCS, i used the retro RCS for a long time to get my approach speed to correct values to not overshoot and then adjust to get in line with my targeted dock.

After a long wait, finally.
Ea0La.jpg

6Umbi.jpg

The feeling of urgency i had when i noticed the fuel depleted message was priceless during what was nearly a disaster (and would have been if it happened before i was at eye contact and always managable approach speed with the weak RCS engines), even after those years Orbiter is always amazingly immersive.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's why they perform a go or no-go check before each mission step :p

Arthur Dent

Absolutely Mental
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wasa.pottyland.de
I hope the ISS crew can spare some extra fuel for you, so can safely get back to Earth (or Moon). Would be a waste of a perfectly good XR2 to just have it docked and never take her out for a ride ;)

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I do love Artlav's Videnie addon!

Two (simulated) weeks have passed since arriving at Mars and landing at Olympus base. Here you can see I'm in route to Phobos after departing Olympus while leaving the Arrow in LMO: (estimated flight time = 5 hours)

xr2-mars-phobos.jpg

Unfortunately I still have a long wait to get home...roughly 1 year, 5 months, and 2 weeks. :)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope the ISS crew can spare some extra fuel for you, so can safely get back to Earth (or Moon). Would be a waste of a perfectly good XR2 to just have it docked and never take her out for a ride ;)
If he'd dumped his SCRAM fuel he might have had a bit of extra in the main tanks. Even if he only dumped it now he could probably deorbit with the RCS. I'd rather opt out of that particular flight, though.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
11_05_08_12-06-28_1.jpg

Inspecting the launcher

11_05_08_19-10-51_boat01.jpg

Some pad inspections

11_05_08_19-11-10_K-SH-3.jpg

Crew arrives with the helicopter

11_05_08_19-47-45_Broglio.jpg

Lift-off!

11_05_08_19-49-36_Broglio.jpg

Fairing separation

11_05_08_20-39-01_Broglio.jpg

TLI burn

11_05_08_20-57-35_mspoderosaii.jpg

Time to get the lander out

11_05_08_21-00-13_mspoderosaii.jpg

And the lander is out!

11_05_08_21-01-29_mspoderosaii.jpg

Free of all objects, antenna and solar panels deployed. We are on our way to the moon :cheers:

Last edited:

Quintuss

Reaction score
After like a week of lurking around unregistered and learning basics ive finally made a succesfull mission. From launch till landing on Wideawake. I ended up just 150m from my target. Is this mean that i can finally enable fuzzy dicez on my XR2? :)

Atlantis dead-on.

And since this is my first post, i`d like to greet everybody and Hail the Probe.

So, Hi guys :hello: :hailprobe: