Orbiter Screenshot Thread

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
That looks awesome! Excellent job for a first mesh from scratch. Are you using anim8or or Blender?

Thanks!

Anim8or→Meshwizard and UVmapper for the texture. I probably jjabrams-ed the reflections but I'm quite happy with the result for a first mesh.

Still a few things to do (robotic arms, docking port at the back of the mesh) but taking the time to make a good /small-in-size mesh really pays off.

Kendo

Reaction score
You should be proud of yourself, that,s very good.
Just to point out, if the parts you want reflective has a texture applied, you can make a small greyscale texture for the shininess. White is full shine and black is no shine, and rename it *******_refl.dds
It saves using a CG file.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
You should be proud of yourself, that,s very good.
Just to point out, if the parts you want reflective has a texture applied, you can make a small greyscale texture for the shininess. White is full shine and black is no shine, and rename it *******_refl.dds
It saves using a CG file.

Thanks!

Still learning about _norm /bump/_refl textures. I can probably group the whole mesh into 2 groups (reflective and no) and save quite a bit of space!

The cool part is that I already have the skills to .dll the s**t out of that mesh!

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
dgatsoulis:

I wanted this rover in orbiter for a long time but never had the time to mesh it. Awaiting for release.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Looks sweet !

Post much?

Reaction score
John van Vliet is an awesome, awesome man.

Venus level 10 test
level10test.png

level10test2.png

Too bad I can't register on any Celestia forum to work out a deal with him to allow his work to be posted as an Orbiter add-on. My inactive accounts just get deleted within a few days of creation.

Level 12 is soul-destroying tedium on a 5+ year old machine using a conventional hard drive. I only have 5 of 32 tiles processed, and 4 of those I have to redo because "Value Invert" is different from "Invert", resulting in a brightness mismatch further down the processing pipeline when I eventually merge column H with column G. Yet, I'm still willing to wait for a slow computer to do its job, so eventually I should have a complete level 12 .tex file.

As for Mars... I can't wait for the final processed THEMIS mosaics, because then we will have a geodetically controlled level 13 map for Mars!

Then there's the Mars CTX, which recently acquired 75% coverage...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
An update on the Copter.

Attachments

• NewCopter2.jpg
    NewCopter2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 39

donatelo200

Aerospace Engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some progress in the Tau Ceti system. This system will be more or less a frontier as the "habitable" planet has and atmosphere 130x thicker than earths and is a scorching 389 kelvin.

Tau Ceti f reclassified to an ocean planet.
picture.php

Tau Ceti e with a lucratively thick atmosphere.(2879.1546Atm)
picture.php

Tau Ceti d a hot super Venusian.
picture.php

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
John van Vliet is an awesome, awesome man.

Venus level 10 test
:tiphat:

Well, I released a L9 Venus with that approximate color scheme (inverted from the radar data).
If you are willing to do the conversions and stitch it all together, I could try to prepare several jpg "tiles" of manageable size at any resolution you need. Depending on whether I can get a fast way to process the original data and get a seamless colorisation...

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Some IMS fun!

This is a "mega-lander". Lots of trial and error to get it balanced and stable under full acceleration.
1l4u.jpg

And now something like the Mars 1994 configuration, but solar powered.
I've repainted some modules to give a current tech feel (tanks are Skylab inspired, radiators, solar panels are ISS, etc).
x8uy.jpg

s9kz.jpg

n9fu.jpg

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Some IMS fun!

This is a "mega-lander". Lots of trial and error to get it balanced and stable under full acceleration.
1l4u.jpg

Nice engine choise for a lander :lol: I guess the vessel is SSTO-capable right from Earth surface. How much time it takes for it to get to 100 km altitude? And what's the peak DNP?:lol:

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
Posting question

How do I get a photo to show up as a small photo with the caption 'press bar to show full size photo'? Every time I've tried to attach a photo to a post here, it turns into an inlined photo that's about 1/4th as big as the original.

Is there a link to instructions on how to do that?

Dantassii

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Simpliest way is to upload the picture into one of your OF albums - you can access it through your forum profile - and copypaste the provided link, the one in IMG brackets, into the post text.

Dantassii

Reaction score
SSTV at the ISS

Simpliest way is to upload the picture into one of your OF albums - you can access it through your forum profile - and copypaste the provided link, the one in IMG brackets, into the post text.

This is my Solar System Transport Vehicle (SSTV) pre-integration (hence no radiators deployed) docked at the ISS to show how big it is against something most Orbiter pilots have seen. This ship has over 1670 ISS modules and can carry up to 18.5 XR5 payload bays in its cargo array in the front. 2 additional fully loaded XR5s can be docked to the side bays. Unloaded it has over 68 Mm/s of delta V on the Experimental Hyper Engines (there are 17 forward and 2 reverse) and about 7km/s of delta V on the backup Emergency Nuclear Thermal Engines (60 of them forward only).

There are about 100 RCS thrusters on this thing and last night after I integrated it, I was able to point it where I wanted it to point within a reasonable amount of time and hold it there.

However, when I tried to reload the scenario tonight with the integrated SSTV in it, I got a CTD. Probably caused by way too many docking ports on this thing. I haven't 'finalized' it yet, or even removed unneeded docking ports. I suspect there are something like 900 docking ports (although I didn't actually count them).

Anyway, I've gotten some requests to post more pictures of this beast since I've been blogging about its first mission to Europa for the last month or so, so here goes.

First picture is an overview of the ship docked with the ISS. I captured the screen resolution AND the frame rate.

picture.php

Here's a closeup of the ISS with the SSTV docked to port 1.

picture.php

What's really scary about this ship is that the Lunar Station where it was constructed is about 4x as big.. or it will be once I finish it.

Sadly, I currently do not have a scenario file with both the SSTV and the Lunar Station in it. As I've not been able to successfully integrate the SSTV and reload it after saving the file, I don't think it safe to copy the SSTV (which is about 0.5Mb) into the Lunar Station Scenario (about 250kB) file.

Enjoy!
Dantassii