Orbiter Screenshot Thread

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
picture.php

It's odd that your surface is untextured, since the old-style texture (Textures/Titan.tex) should still be present and working. I'll check this out tonight.

Maybe it is not untextured white. It looks like a white, polygonal ground patch. An orange texture is visible in the distance. This white patch seems to follow the vessel around on Titan's surface. Thanks for looking into this!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
This is a better version of the global map:
Nice find. Unfortunately the license for the image is "all rights reserved", so I would need to get permission to use it for Orbiter. Does flickr provide any mechanism for contacting authors? There is a little email icon on the Ian Regan homepage, but that just dumps me to a Yahoo sign-in page.

MontBlanc2012

Reaction score
Target practice with Delta Gliders

Screen_Shot_2018_07_07_at_7_40_52_PM.png

OK, so what's interesting about this? It's just a screen shot of two Delta Gliders rather unrealistically passing through each other.

Yes, true. However....

Each Delta Glider is orbiting at around 7550 m/s in orbital planes oriented at right angles to each other. As the Delta Gliders pass through each other, their relative speed is 10.67 km/s. The above image shows the instant of 'rendezvous'.

Fair enough, but so what?

Well, this was an exercise in Orbiter 'target practice' with the 'non-spherical gravity sources' option turned on.

The basic premise of this test is:

Each Delta Glider starts its trajectory 1,460 seconds earlier and a quarter orbit away. One Delta Glider starts its trajectory near the South Pole; and the other 90 degree away at a remote point on the Earth's ecliptic plane. The initial separation of the vessels is 10,000 km. Neither Delta Glider adjusts its trajectory prior to rendezvous - i.e., trajectories are entirely ballistic. The initial velocity of one Delta Glider (the 'chase vehicle) is set using basic theory such that a 'rendezvous' should occur with the 'target vehicle’ at a specific location on a specific date.

From theory (and theory alone), an Orbiter scenario was then set up to see if practical integration matches theoretical design. And lo! It does. Rendezvous!

(Hat off to *martins* for producing a simulator that emulates real Newtonian gravity with considerable fidelity.)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Nice find. Unfortunately the license for the image is "all rights reserved", so I would need to get permission to use it for Orbiter. Does flickr provide any mechanism for contacting authors? There is a little email icon on the Ian Regan homepage, but that just dumps me to a Yahoo sign-in page.

Try asking here:
http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com/index.php?s=&showtopic=3168&view=findpost&p=240167

That forum is high level - many Cassini scientists are there - but the tone is friendly.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
picture.php

Whizzing around the Saturn system, this photo-opportunity of the ring system came up. Saturn is such a beauty and Orbiter is the next best thing to being there!

The ship is a magnetized target fusion ship based on a NASA concept of Human Exploration of the Outer Planets (HOPE).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Target practice with Delta Gliders

That's totally amazing ! I always wondered if you can dock 2 DG, one orbiting prograde, the other orbiting retrograde. Might be your next challenge ? :lol: :tiphat:

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Hello, my first "Album" on Orbiter, I wanted to share with you my best pics so far :)

Some fun in orbit with Orbiter Multiplayer Project
NfFwInN.png

Uewt85J.png

unknown.png

And this is when we try stupid things in MP haha:
unknown.png

Retrospective: 2010 vs 2016
unknown.png

Soyuz from the Cupola (ISS A2Z)
unknown.png

Some screens with SpaceShuttleUltra
unknown.png

Wh97JbK.png

WFr62tV.png

B2Y8iWa.jpg

CSEffIa.png

Capture_decran_1181.png

Capture_decran_1185.png

P0SU84x.png

zJYsW0c.png

bVzelR0.png

Fly safe all o7

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Thanks Wolf !
I like it too, it feels like we're really in orbit (if only Orbiter had VR support :p)

Here's my last one during STS-61, Hubble Servicing 1.

B8a6SbG.png

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
ILSE over Titan

picture.php

Mighty Saturn is rising over the misty skies of Titan, where the spaceship of the International Life Search Expedition I.L.S.E. has reached its parking orbit after a year-long journey.

The scene is inspired by the novel "Titan" by Brandon Q. Morris.

This the first time I used the normal bitmaps and reflective features of the D3D9 client and I was surprised how much vibrance this adds to the scene!

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Tried to merge SpaceShuttleUltra v5 and LC39A-B HD ShuttleFleet into one scenario, but unfortunately ain't compatible for a launch (cannot link the their pad with SSU_LCC)
Maybe secretly is hutchison66 working on it :p

But it looks awesome nonetheless !
kbtmWx2.png

o7

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I think that is because the shuttlefleet gets info from shuttle vessel config.

---------- Post added at 07:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

JEO which has been cancelled.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I like it too, it feels like we're really in orbit (if only Orbiter had VR support :p)

Indeed. I've got a Rift some days ago, and boy does it add to immersion to be inside that E:D ship, flying your Grumman Goose in FSX or pull yourself hand over hand across the virtual ISS.
I'm tinkering with the thought of getting my hands dirty in the SDK and dust off that D3D11Client of asmi as a base implementation (seems like DX9 is out already).

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is the shuttle version for 2016 that I have been working on. With the hd structure. Not sure why the mlp isn't there though?

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 AM ----------

More of sts1 in d3d9

Launched:

in orbit with bay lights on and hatches open

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Goooooooood morning GALAXY !
xhpOgxU.png

Here is the shuttle version for 2016 that I have been working on. With the hd structure. Not sure why the mlp isn't there though?
Could you send me in MP your test scenario ? I'd like too see it if it works with me (and see if the MLP is shown or not too !)

Snax

Space Cowboy
Reaction score
Hello guys, today I decided to launch Orbiter 2010 instead and take a ride on Endeavour with ShuttleFleet and feel a bit of nostalgia :)
0JQJh4q.png

Last edited:

Felix24

Reaction score
Just a teaser of what I'm working on:

hubble-progress1.jpg

hubble-progress2.jpg

hubble-progress3.jpg

Big thanks to BrianJ for his help with Gmax.

Last edited: