Orbiter Screenshot Thread

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
I've been getting into flying the classic interplanetary flights of the Mariners, Pioneers, and Voyagers. I had modded the old config and ini files to spacecraft3 and Multistage2015 to function correctly with Orbiter 2010.

Voyager-1 at Titan and Saturn:
tumblr_p960c3K9uQ1sgt5t3o1_1280.png

Voyager-2 at Uranus:
tumblr_p960c3K9uQ1sgt5t3o3_1280.png

Voyager-2 at Neptune:
tumblr_p960c3K9uQ1sgt5t3o2_1280.png

Pioneer-11 dwarfed by Saturn's rings:
tumblr_p960c3K9uQ1sgt5t3o5_1280.png

Mariner-9 in orbit around Mars:
tumblr_p960c3K9uQ1sgt5t3o4_1280.png

I've also managed to fly a successful Mariner-10 with a Venus sling and 3 flybys of Mercury (all historically accurate and within hours of when they actually happened). The end-game for me is to accomplish a successful Galileo or Cassini type mission.

---------- Post added at 05:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

A sunset over Neptune:
tumblr_p960zjS4jz1sgt5t3o1_1280.png

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
sts 1 on pad:
FUCyfXr.jpg

sts 1 launch 2016
8Z1nDmN.jpg

In flight using ms2015:
B5lixOx.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:49 AM ----------

Challenger:
TBSFdh9.jpg

1OUQc01.jpg

fTT15pZ.jpg

Lit Shuttlebay:
RsIdhHh.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:46 PM ----------

Europa Clipper:
GFOLo3O.jpg

ljetibo

Reaction score
The graphics in this game have gone so far that sometimes it's just nice to look at the Moon.

5jirXA5.jpg

Next up Mars! I hope I don't miss it.

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
Of all the gravity assists needed to get Galileo to Jupiter, the first Earth flyby was my favorite, with a pass over the North American continent at night:

tumblr_p9ijzqdNki1sgt5t3o1_1280.png

1987VCRProductions

Reaction score
tumblr_p9uxr4kVQb1sgt5t3o1_1280.png

I put Ulysses into polar orbit around the Sun and got a nice portrait looking down at the 4 inner planets. I ended up approaching Jupiter from its south pole and it sent me going over the Sun's north pole first and then looping around to the solar south pole, I believe that the real Ulysses actually did the opposite if I'm not mistaken.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The beauty of the new shadow effects with D3D9. The Canadarm RMS casts its shadow on Columbia payload bay as the Orbiter overflies the Indian Ocean during STS-3

0545.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The beauty of the new shadow effects with D3D9. The Canadarm RMS casts its shadow on Columbia payload bay as the Orbiter overflies the Indian Ocean during STS-3

View attachment 15897

Sadly the radiators seem to show the reflection map with the closed payload pay doors. :facepalm:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Yes. Too bad reflections can't act like shadows, and not go through the mesh.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sadly the radiators seem to show the reflection map with the closed payload pay doors. :facepalm:
This is due to how the D3D9Client handles environmental reflections. All reflective surfaces share one environment camera per vessel that generates the actual reflections. And it is completely static. Currently the environmental camera for SSU is set up in the center of the payload bay so that is what will be reflected in the reflective surfaces of the orbiter.

This should really change to a system where each reflection map generates its own camera. I don't think a reasonable number (8?) would hurt the frame rates that bad, even on maximum settings.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This should really change to a system where each reflection map generates its own camera. I don't think a reasonable number (8?) would hurt the frame rates that bad, even on maximum settings.

It would be enough if the reflection map just represents the current state of the mesh = gets recomputed. But I would guess it takes a moment to calculate.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It would be enough if the reflection map just represents the current state of the mesh = gets recomputed. But I would guess it takes a moment to calculate.

The reflections should get updated every 2nd - 6th frame depending on settings. In the Wolf's screen shot it's likely the payload that is being reflected. And the reflection camera is likely in the front of the payload. To work better, the camera should be attached to payload-bay doors. One on both sides and they should move along the doors themselves. Improper camera location can cause all sort of anomalies.

What DaveS said could help to reduce the problem. But the main issues is that how to attach the cameras into the right locations. (i.e. how to communicate all the information to the client). I am working on some optimizations to the shadows and after that I'll look into the reflection issues.

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Some "in development" screenshots of SpaceX Crew Dragon. Exterior meshes courtesy of Donamy, interior(with super-comfy seats!) and control panel by me, original Astronaut model(much modified) from NASA 3D Resources.....still working on the panel and other items....
d2_screenie0.jpg

d2_screenie1.jpg

d2_screenie2.jpg

d2_screenie3.jpg

d2_screenie4.jpg

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi,
the "Control Panel" is my first attempt at using the VC functions for clickable buttons, etc.
I expect the layout will change quite a bit once I get my head around how the button and area-redraw stuff works. Hopefully most of the useful functions will be "clickable" and have some kind of status indication. I may well re-model the panel mesh, once I have a better idea of what I can do with it.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
picture.php

When reading the novel 'Titan' by Brandon Q. Morris (german language) I tried to recreate a Titan-landing scenario, using the MAV lander with the super-sonic decelerator. Landing is easy. The atmosphere is so dense that the vessel is very slow after the atmospheric entry.

But below the clouds the Titan surface is white, untextured. The texture addons on Orbithangar are for Orbiter 2010 or earlier, and it is not included in the MinorBodies texture pack. Would there be an easy way to promote textures to the 2016 format?
_____
The Titan hi-res textures have been updated.
Thank you, Martin!

Last edited:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
When reading the novel 'Titan' by Brandon Q. Morris (german language) I tried to recreate a Titan-landing scenario, using the MAV lander with the super-sonic decelerator. Landing is easy. The atmosphere is so dense that the vessel is very slow after the atmospheric entry.

But below the clouds the Titan surface is white, untextured. The texture addons on Orbithangar are for Orbiter 2010 or earlier, and it is not included in the MinorBodies texture pack. Would there be an easy way to promote textures to the 2016 format?

I just had a look and realised that Titan indeed doesn't seem to have been converted to 2016 texture format. For some reason I was sure that Titan was using the new format already.

It's odd that your surface is untextured, since the old-style texture (Textures/Titan.tex) should still be present and working. I'll check this out tonight.

In any case, maybe it's time to re-do the textures for the 2016 format. A quick check on Astrogeology showed these files:

https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/searc...bal-Mosaic/Titan_ISS_P19658_Mosaic_Global_4km
(lo-resolution global surface mosaic)

https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/searc...l-Mosaic/Titan_ISS_Globe_65Sto45N_450M_AvgMos
(high-resolution surface between -65 ... + 45 deg latitude)

https://astrogeology.usgs.gov/search/map/Titan/Cassini/GTDR/gtdr-data
(elevation; very coarse and noisy from the look of it)

Does anybody know of better sources?