Orbiter Screenshot Thread

PA328

Reaction score
8IKe3s0.jpg

XR-2 Virgin skin + reflections

Last edited:

PA328

Reaction score
Which renderer is that and does it use PBR/Metalness or the old Specular style?

I use reflection and normal maps.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

Arrow in orbit
X5jR0OT.jpg
7a92NzN.jpg
Ko5BoEk.jpg
hWDFPoi.jpg

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I use reflection and normal maps.

Probably specular then. Try tuning it down a little? Most of these ships are painted metal and the bits that aren't are probably scratched or scorched. I shouldn't really be able to see my face in it. Be more subtle, it'll look better. Also any really reflective areas there actually are should be smooth, not roughed up by the normal map. Then again most of those probably have a ground surface rather than being sanded to a mirror shine, which is not really something you can represent properly in the specular workflow.

PA328

Reaction score
Probably specular then. Try tuning it down a little? Most of these ships are painted metal and the bits that aren't are probably scratched or scorched. I shouldn't really be able to see my face in it. Be more subtle, it'll look better. Also any really reflective areas there actually are should be smooth, not roughed up by the normal map. Then again most of those probably have a ground surface rather than being sanded to a mirror shine, which is not really something you can represent properly in the specular workflow.

I do not pretend to be realistic:) The effect of the Arrow reflections is overestimated for entertainment. For Xr, I specifically made the likeness of a chrome body.

Last edited:

Thorsten

Reaction score
Also any really reflective areas there actually are should be smooth, not roughed up by the normal map. Then again most of those probably have a ground surface rather than being sanded to a mirror shine, which is not really something you can represent properly in the specular workflow.

It's a question of scales. From the intended closest viewing distance (i.e. where you have about one texture pixel per screen pixel), any surface structure of the order of a length scale that corresponds to a few pixels is represented by the normal map. Anything smaller by the reflection map.

Using appropriate blur in the environment reflection in combination with low specular shininess can pretty much reproduce a lot of surface structures - especially if you include Fresnel enhancement of specularity under low angles.

So it depends a bit on what you mean by 'specular workflow' - a standard Blinn-Phong scheme is a bit limited, but if you have a shader which can do environment mapping and Fresnel you can do most (I guess the next big one is then sub-surface scattering which you use for skin).

Tycho

Reaction score

Having fun exploring different sites on the moon with the 3D terrain and microtextures to boot.

Pictured here, some alternate history: Apollo 17 at Gassendi Crater central peaks, December 1972. At one time, Gassendi was considered a final contender for Apollo 17, but was scrapped because of the rough terrain closer to the central peaks that would probably have prevented close-up exploration. In these shots, the LM is a few kilometers west of the central peaks.

Last edited:

Pioneer

Reaction score
A Mars flyby using the Cargo Dragon and the upper stage of the Falcon Heavy as a propulsion module.

38890231155_989c88e63c_c.jpg

39789173131_08e7ebc412_c.jpg

39789173261_87cb3b60b1_c.jpg

24918974207_f41514cfab_c.jpg

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
From the Moon to Earth

TdQiyoM.jpg

DG in LLO. The Sagittarius constellation and the Milky Way backdrop the scene while the lunar crater Plato can be seen to the right.

ID1l0O5.jpg

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Flying the SpaceX Crew Dragon near the ISS.

index.php
That's a standard Cargo Dragon. Crew Dragon AKA Dragon 2 doesn't have extensible solar arrays.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
picture.php

With the Earth rising in the background the Deep Space Transport (DST) is preparing for a year-long commissioning flight. A crew of four astronauts has arrived with an Orion capsule. They will use the chemical thrusters of the DST to leave lunar orbit. Later on they will switch to the ion thrusters and leave them on for nearly a year, to test their endurance for a Mars flight. The test flight will reach out a million kilometers away from Earth, relying on onboard systems alone.

downloaderfan

Reaction score
Take a look at this beautiful picture of Io & Jupiter from the Delta glider IV Europa to Io rescue mission.

LcuIGrI.jpg

Last edited: