Orbiter Screenshot Thread

gamer19

Reaction score
orbiter-2022-02-28-04-45-12-325b.jpg

gamer19

Reaction score
thanks rock :) it did turn out not so disastrous at the end, I want to believe :)
I use a few filters on my trusty Paint.com (don't have photoshop) and the main one is named "film"
here's how the original look:
orbiter_2022_02_28_04_45_12_325.jpg

Say...
my AMSO texture update is finally (yeah, I know, I'm probably the slowest modder of them all) basically ready for release
but then at a very end of "AMSO-User-manual.doc" I stumbled at this part:

COPYRIGHTS

THIS PACKAGE IS FREEWARE AND NO MONEY SHOULD EVER BE MADE WITH IT!!!

WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR(S) IS NEEDED TO COPY THIS PACKAGE OR PART(S) OF IT, ON EVERY FORM OF MEDIA, LIKE CD-ROM, DVD, DISKETTE, BBS, INTERNET SITES, ETC…, IN THE CASE USERS MUST PAY TO ACCESS IT OR TO GET IT.

NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT, WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHOR(S) WRITTEN PERMISSION, TO USE ANY PARTS OF THIS PRODUCTION, IN ORIGINAL STATE, OR MODIFIED WITH ANY SOFTWARES, INTO ANY OTHER APPLICATIONS INTENDED TO BE PUBLISHED, EVEN IF THIS PUBLICATION WILL BE A FREEWARE. THIS RESTRICTION INCLUDES THE CASE OF USING MESHES AND/OR TEXTURES FROM WITHIN AMSO INSTALLATION.

PLEASE, REFER TO CREDIT CHAPTER FOR AUTHORS OF PARTS WHICH DO NOT BELONG EXCLUSIVELY TO AMSO.

Alain Capt
ACSoft Productions
[email protected]

https://www.acsoft.ch/amso/amso.html

so... guess I wouldn't be able to publish them just like that huh ? can I ask some kind of permission or what ? where ?
I ask you here rather via private cause maybe someone else can give me the right advice. I could just keep those for my self
but I just feel it would be a shame after all work done, so many textures modified/added, don't know...

needless to say, wouldn't ask for any money for those, of course. that didn't even ever cross my mind at any point :)

gamer19

Reaction score
yes of course, my bad. sorry
here's few more:
orbiter_2022_03_02_05_04_51_528.jpg
orbiter_2022_03_03_01_10_27_594.jpg

notice that the one with LM is showing famous "two-tone" landing pad :)
something that looks cool but I probably won't keep it since it also ad that black protective layer to the rest of the descent stage,
as you may see on that picture. bummer.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
thanks rock :) it did turn out not so disastrous at the end, I want to believe :)
I use a few filters on my trusty Paint.com (don't have photoshop) and the main one is named "film"
here's how the original look:
View attachment 28114

Say...
my AMSO texture update is finally (yeah, I know, I'm probably the slowest modder of them all) basically ready for release
but then at a very end of "AMSO-User-manual.doc" I stumbled at this part:

COPYRIGHTS

THIS PACKAGE IS FREEWARE AND NO MONEY SHOULD EVER BE MADE WITH IT!!!

WRITTEN PERMISSION OF THE AUTHOR(S) IS NEEDED TO COPY THIS PACKAGE OR PART(S) OF IT, ON EVERY FORM OF MEDIA, LIKE CD-ROM, DVD, DISKETTE, BBS, INTERNET SITES, ETC…, IN THE CASE USERS MUST PAY TO ACCESS IT OR TO GET IT.

NOBODY HAS THE RIGHT, WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHOR(S) WRITTEN PERMISSION, TO USE ANY PARTS OF THIS PRODUCTION, IN ORIGINAL STATE, OR MODIFIED WITH ANY SOFTWARES, INTO ANY OTHER APPLICATIONS INTENDED TO BE PUBLISHED, EVEN IF THIS PUBLICATION WILL BE A FREEWARE. THIS RESTRICTION INCLUDES THE CASE OF USING MESHES AND/OR TEXTURES FROM WITHIN AMSO INSTALLATION.

PLEASE, REFER TO CREDIT CHAPTER FOR AUTHORS OF PARTS WHICH DO NOT BELONG EXCLUSIVELY TO AMSO.

Alain Capt
ACSoft Productions
[email protected]

https://www.acsoft.ch/amso/amso.html

so... guess I wouldn't be able to publish them just like that huh ? can I ask some kind of permission or what ? where ?
I ask you here rather via private cause maybe someone else can give me the right advice. I could just keep those for my self
but I just feel it would be a shame after all work done, so many textures modified/added, don't know...

needless to say, wouldn't ask for any money for those, of course. that didn't even ever cross my mind at any point :)
OMG! The realism of this image is incredible! Look at that gold metal, it's magic!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Many years ago, there was an 'old timer' who was having a really hard time with his Orbiter setup. He really wanted to get AMSO to work on his machine. I spent hours on the phone with his (he lived several hundred miles away) talking him through it, to no avail. Something about his machine/graphics/Windows/whatever... Anyway, I'd put Orbiter on a CD, with AMSO, Skylab, and Beyond Apollo installed and tested it on every pc I could find. It worked great. But reading the AMSO copywrite license I contacted Alain to ask his permission, explaining what I had in mind before sending it off (to the 'old timer').
He replied, the next day with an emphatic "Yes!"

If you contact ACSoft (aka Alain) and explain what you are doing, he might respond in the positive. You won't know if you don't ask. All you are doing is fiddling with the textures anyway, right?

gamer19

Reaction score
OMG! The realism of this image is incredible! Look at that gold metal, it's magic!
well, it's not magic actually. it's rather some great job from The Man himself, Jarmonik
first - you have to (and I mean really - it's a MUST !) to use debugging option in Orbiter
(you'll thank me later)
from drop down menu - choose "functions" - then D3D9 Debug Controls -
then you really have to change just few things - Default Shader - change from PBR (Old) to Metalness PBR.
under the "Material" just change two parameters - smoothness (1st number, 2nd is irrelevant) and metalness.
I use 800/900 for that gold foil descent stage. 200/200 for the main body of ascent stage. and so on... you can experiment for weeks. like I do :giggle:
and for the Apollo CM I use 200/400 for the service module and 650/950 for the command module
then it's possible something like this:
orbiter_2022_02_28_03_42_45_938.jpg
orbiter_2022_03_05_03_59_17_425.jpg
:)
looks great from every angle.
with a little push in the right direction from my updated textures, ok.

Many years ago, there was an 'old timer' who was having a really hard time with his Orbiter setup. He really wanted to get AMSO to work on his machine. I spent hours on the phone with his (he lived several hundred miles away) talking him through it, to no avail. Something about his machine/graphics/Windows/whatever... Anyway, I'd put Orbiter on a CD, with AMSO, Skylab, and Beyond Apollo installed and tested it on every pc I could find. It worked great. But reading the AMSO copywrite license I contacted Alain to ask his permission, explaining what I had in mind before sending it off (to the 'old timer').
He replied, the next day with an emphatic "Yes!"

If you contact ACSoft (aka Alain) and explain what you are doing, he might respond in the positive. You won't know if you don't ask. All you are doing is fiddling with the textures anyway, right?
wow that's some inspiring story Phantom, thank you for that. guess you recon I needed one ?
but you basically edit the game for yourself, you didn't publish it anywhere, right ? this would be a bit different
but ok... you're right, I should just write to that mail. I mean... what's the worst thing that can happen ? ?
?

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I guess I'll keep the backstorys to myself.
No, I didn't publish it, but if you explain to him what you have in mind, he might give you permissions.

Cruiser Six, going dark

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com

If he agrees...make sure you give him the appropriate attribution. Golden Rule, right?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looks amazing, it puts quite high standards for addon devs ! ;)

gamer19

Reaction score
I guess I'll keep the backstorys to myself.
No, I didn't publish it, but if you explain to him what you have in mind, he might give you permissions.

Cruiser Six, going dark
maybe it's a language barrier or something but I wasn't trying to offend you in any way.
it's great story, really, positive. thanks.

If he agrees...make sure you give him the appropriate attribution. Golden Rule, right?
of course. those guys deserve all the credits, they are true rock stars.

Looks amazing, it puts quite high standards for addon devs ! ;)
wow, some strong words N_M :) your opinion is much appreciated.

now where that @Matias Saibene fellow lost, I spend nearly half an hour on that mini tutorial for him :cautious:
?

here's another one, so this message won't qualified as a spam :)

orbiter_2022_02_19_01_39_51_278.jpg

for all those sick of AMSO ?

CurlSnout

Reaction score
I've been experimenting with a new iteration of Philip Bono's ~1966-67 design for the SASSTO (Saturn Application Single Stage to Orbit) 'space taxi'. Built in Blender and powered by Multistage2015.

blender_01.jpg

blender_02.jpg

SASSTO_01.jpg

SASSTO_02.jpg

(Launch complex from Kulch's 'ENERGY Project' addon.)

Hi-Ho,

cs

Attachments

• blender_02.jpg
    blender_02.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 4

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Nice, you might want to use smooth shading to get rid of those "faces" on the rocket body. Also, given this is a quite "simple" launcher, don't be afraid to add loops cuts, and even to use Bevel.

Object -> Shade Smooth

Last edited:

Pioneer

Reaction score
Update showing the current state of things. Figured out how to attach (and automatically jettision) 1) fairings and 2) a release-able payload.

Peace,

cs
Looking great! BTW do you know if those legs were designed to retract or are they meant to stay in a single position?

CurlSnout

Reaction score
Nice, you might want to use smooth shading to get rid of those "faces" on the rocket body. Also, given this is a quite "simple" launcher, don't be afraid to add loops cuts, and even to use Bevel.

Object -> Shade Smooth
Thanks. I actually did try the smooth shading feature in Blender, and decided that I preferred the look with flat shading. When I used smooth shading, the craft appeared like it belongs in the Kerbalverse. It's for sure that I'm a novice with Blender; probably I failed to invoke and/or modify other parameters that would improve the appearance. I will endeavor to persevere.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You can adjust the Smooth Shading "limit angle". By default it is 30° I think (meaning Smooth Shading will only work if the angle between faces is less than that).

CurlSnout

Reaction score
Looking great! BTW do you know if those legs were designed to retract or are they meant to stay in a single position?
Thanks for kind feedback. All of the images that I have seen of the SASSTO have the legs extended, and I don't see any visible means for retracting them. I know that some of Philip Bono's other designs for reusable orbital modules (e.g., the modified S-IVB stage that is recovered terrestrially using balutes/parachutes and the Rombus SSTO) had retractable gear.