Orbiter Screenshot Thread

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I can't really flatten it without either excavating one end or raising the other end on a platform...

You need to flatten the terrain for the entire built up area. Usually you will stop at a wall or fence that's there in reality.
For reference take the level of the main entrance and flatten from there.
Just imagine that you are driving along the road and will enter the base.
In reality there are gentle slopes, yes, but you don't notice them and they will only cause us trouble.

Did that for dozens of building models for Google Earth back in the day and it works well.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Too bad he can't factor in the 40mph gusting crosswinds that are a regular feature of the Antelope Valley. ;)

Well, gusts might maybe be a feature for Orbiter 2022 :lol:

JonnyBGoode

Sky Marshal
Addon Developer
Reaction score
14915323_10208151233120689_5196454564433200645_n.jpg

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Time for some Carrier ops. Starring: XR2 US NAVY VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers"
4117.jpg

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Ready for catapult launch

2718.jpg

2722.jpg

hovering beside the carrier

2713.jpg

Ready to catch the wire

4363.jpg

4209.jpg

XR2 is capable of both normal landings and takeoff and VTOL, like a next generation F35 :thumbup:

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
XR2 is capable of both normal landings and takeoff and VTOL, like a next generation F35 :thumbup:

Very nice :cool:

But the old squid in me feels the need to point out that your bird is missing it's "Vagabond Stripe". Gray Chevrons on darker grey sash for the lo-vis (operational) paint scheme and white cheverons on a black and gold sash for the parade / cag-bird scheme. ;)

bfa815a18d3ff4dee181b5cde674effd.jpg

Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very nice :cool:

But the old squid in me feels the need to point out that your bird is missing it's "Vagabond Stripe". Gray Chevrons on darker grey sash for the lo-vis (operational) paint scheme and white cheverons on a black and gold sash for the parade / cag-bird scheme. ;)

You are right, but I am not sure the stripe would fit well on the XR2 due to the shape of the fuselage in that area (which might cause a lot of distortion) and the clear cut between the upper grey side and the almost black tiles on the lower side. I'll make one with the stripe (maybe the CAG coloured aswel) and see how it looks.

I was also thinking about making this
Jolly Rogers_70th Anniversary 1.jpg

to me it looks beautiful.

Fear the Bones! :tiphat:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Presenting: Mojave Spaceport (coming soon)

picture.php

Have you thought about tackling Vandenberg AFB directly to the west? It's a rather nice scenic place to launch from with all the mountains and hills that surround all of the launch complexes. It would also give the default Atlantis its natural polar orbit launch site once the weight issues have been fixed.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Have you thought about tackling Vandenberg AFB directly to the west? It's a rather nice scenic place to launch from with all the mountains and hills that surround all of the launch complexes. It would also give the default Atlantis its natural polar orbit launch site once the weight issues have been fixed.

Shouldn't be a problem, unless somebody else wants to do it. I would put it into a separate texture pack though. For the "Antelope valley" pack I am currently working on (including Edwards, Mojave and Palmdale/Plant 42) I am aiming at a 1GB download size, and I don't want to bloat it much further.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What would it take to get Corn Ranch into Orbiter 2016 ? The meshes and tiles are already done.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
the New Space Network plugin WIP:
Hearing signals from Mars, through DSN Goldstone station, tracking the source.

0040.jpg

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
Ha! Now will you look at this! This is what I call precision :)

p0IQ6RF.jpg

DpTjtQi.jpg

l5N4EmA.jpg

Is it stupid? Sure it is, but it works :hello:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
A Grand Canyon scene (close to Lake Mead). Here is a little timeline:

Orbiter 2010 (remember that one?). Hmm ...

picture.php

Orbiter 2016. A lot better (not that difficult). Still not really spectacular.

picture.php

And here is an early sneak preview of a little addon package I am currently working on:

picture.php

Admittedly it's a bit frivolous, given that it hasn't got anything to do specifically with spaceflight (other than maybe replaying the chase scene from Independence Day ;)). But since we are trying to model Valles Marineris as well as possible, surely we shouldn't discriminate against Earth. (and I do like the Grand Canyon).

The image above shows tiles at resolution level 17. My source material would allow up to level 19, but maybe that would be really over the top. The addon could then end up bigger than the global hires Earth package.