Orbiter Video Thread

reverend

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Another one! Today we leave the DG behind and jump in the ShuttleA for a quick local flight at Brighton Beach, followed by an ascent, alignment, and sync for getting back to Moon Mir!

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Not entirely Orbiter, but Orbiter and the excellent Falcon9R V1.2 and telescope MFD mods did play a vital role in allowing me to approximate the timing of the sonic booms from the last Falcon 9 landing:

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

This video shows the Apollo 15 lunar landing, flown with NASSP 8.0 Alpha in Orbiter 2016. As always the Virtual AGC is used, running the Luminary 1E software, which was flown in the Lunar Module computer (LGC) of Apollo 15 to 17. As in my previous Apollo 11 video the whole process from Powered Descent Initiaton to post-landing is shown, this time also with some annotations.

Highlights of this video are the amazing terrain, the Montes Apenninus, the Mons Hadley massif and the LM flying directly over Mons Hadley Delta. During the landing Hadley Rille can bee seen in the background. Highlight in terms of NASSP development is certainly to see Luminary 1E (specific version number Luminary 210) working. Luminary 1E can use a terrain model to translate the landing radar measurements to state vector updates and by flying over the 11,000 feet Mons Hadley Delta this terrain model is certainly necessary. Luminary 1E is one of the new LGC versions that became available for the Virtual AGC project through the LGC developer Don Eyles, who had a bunch of these 1700 pages listings in his private collection.

Also for the first time the Rate-of-Descent (ROD) mode, Program 66, is demonstrated. This mode was used for all actual lunar landings. It's a computer assisted mode, with a switch used to control the descent rate, which the computer then translates into throttle commands for the Descent Propulsion System (DPS). When no joystick inputs are done then the LM is in attitude hold in the ROD mode. The astronauts also could have performed a fully automatic landing with the computer or a fully manual landing.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
In case you missed it, here is the latest in my Earth to Mars series that is coming to a close. Enjoy this one. Exciting (hopefully) finale coming soon!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o2vd4-C7Gc"][Part 11] Earth to Mars: Trans-Earth Injection (ORBITER 2016) - YouTube[/ame]

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Lagrange MFD 1.0 LEO to E-M L1

Please watch with captions on. I decided to get rid of the mic recording because the quality was crappy.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
The official trailer for my upcoming feature film is out!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGp-T81mtiM"]Interplanetary Trailer - A Feature Film Coming Soon! - YouTube[/ame]

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net

Parnikkapore

Reaction score
First Orbiter video on DDK!

My first Orbiter video! (All the videos will be in my native language, sorry :cheers: )

GPIS Smack Rescue is coming tomorrow!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Requested by a forum member via pm. Please watch with captions on.

A demonstration of a multi-revolution continuous thrust lunar transfer including the lunar orbit insertion burn.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQC19-3d4So"]Orbiter 2016 - Multi-revolution continuous thrust lunar transfer - YouTube[/ame]

Parnikkapore

Reaction score
Following GPIS 3, which turns out to be very easy excluding the overshooting!:hailprobe:
:woohoo:

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Getting closer to completion. I can almost see the finish line!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Once a week is a tough schedule sometimes, but I'm glad to see more people committing to it. We lost a gem when David Courtney stopped making videos to pursue his education dreams. Best of luck to you and the series. Looking forward to it!