Orbiter Video Thread

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here a video about how the Apollo 11 lunar ascent looks like in the most recent version of NASSP.

The center of gravity is shifting during the burn, the moments of inertia are changing and the Ascent Propulsion System is at a cant angle. Just a LM ascent stage wobbling its way to orbit. :D

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yay! My s-band tracking code looks happy.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
That's realistic. Matches ascent footage quite well!

Yes that's what I thought when I experimented with this. I wasn't sure if I really wanted to implement the realistic and shifting center of gravity right now, but when I saw how it behaved I knew I had to implement it for everyone.

David Scott called the behavior of the Digital Autopilot the "PGNS fuel saving program", as it will allow the LM to wander away from its desired attitude, at least for a bit, so that it doesn't have to fire the RCS all the time. That leads to this cycle every about 3 seconds, the wobble. Under Abort Guidance System (AGS) control it behaves quite different, it will try to stay closely at the commanded attitude, but has to fire the RCS in short bursts about 10 times per second. I haven't checked, but I'm sure that spends more RCS propellant than the longer RCS firings every 3 seconds under primary guidance control.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Here is my first video of Orbiter 2016, using AMSO add-on. By the way, I do not know how to use screen recording in my computer, so I used my smartphone to capture the glorius scene!
A year is passed, still no answer on how to screen record my computer. :sigh:

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello,

After a little bit of preparation (wanted to do this last year, around october or november, but Life delayed things) I feel ready to embark on another real time simulation of an Apollo mission.

This time I will do it live on Youtube:

I will start the event on May 3rd at 01:45 UTC.

Let´s see if I can return to Earth from the Moon!

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
Hello,

After a little bit of preparation (wanted to do this last year, around october or november, but Life delayed things) I feel ready to embark on another real time simulation of an Apollo mission.

This time I will do it live on Youtube:

I will start the event on May 3rd at 01:45 UTC.

Let´s see if I can return to Earth from the Moon!
Due to life things, launch has been scrubbed to May 8th, 5:51 UTC. Stream will start at 01:45 UTC on May 8th

STS

Reaction score
Website
orbisondas.es
When I published the first part of my Apollo 8 flight, I got a copyright warning.

It was from a fragment where I was on external view, and OrbiterSound was playing wind effect:

The copyright claimed about this song:

Listen at the begining.

It´s exactly the same sound as the wind effect. Did this artist, Sevda Şengüler use the same sound as OrbiterSound and is claiming that this sound is from him/her? If that is the case, the artist would be on the wrong side, as the sound comes from a free sound library, or even, from @dansteph himself.

How can I defend, now, that I didn´t use copyrighted sound?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Option 1: Get a slightly good lawyer and threaten to sue the real company behind that copyright claim out of this universe. And be prepared to repeat this every week. Youtubes copyright algorithm is badly flawed and gets abused by such companies currently and usually, such companies are nothing more than a new postbox somewhere in an office building ruin.

Option 1a) Record your own wind noise. And be prepared to repeat option 1) every week because Youtubes algorithm will still claim you are using copyrighted music. Even playing public domain sheet music on your own piano and recording it is no reason for Youtube (contrary to real copyright law) that you are the copyright holder for this recording. Even after many years, one such cheaters can appear and defund your video by claiming to be copyright owner for your music, because you did not register it properly.

Option 2: Stop using Youtube until they fixed it.

Reactions: STS

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
When I published the first part of my Apollo 8 flight, I got a copyright warning.

It's quite common to have copyright claims (claiming revenue share), but usually the video remains playable.

I've had this problem with a few things:
» Apollo 11's Armstrong transmissions. Someone has put them into a "music".
» Magellan Venus animation - used on a crappy music video
» John Glenn's audio - this came out on old 1960's LP records with some orchestra music
» Voyager Jupiter encounter animation - BBC claims this because they used it on documentaries.

Even so I never had a copyright strike. Only blocked videos on certain countries or revenue share claims....
The best solution is to replace the problematic segment. Also check the muting option on YouTube - sometimes it's able to remove just the offending music.

But be warned that it might happen again. I've had YouTube's own library music being claimed after a few years.
The key is to prepare for that and have a good workflow that allows you to render a new video quickly.

dundun92

Reaction score
As of yesterday, I started a series of me doing a Mariner 10 style Venus-Mercury Mission, with a possible return to Earth. The first stream was me setting up it in TransX, and the ejection burn. The 2nd video is the coast to Venus + midcourse corrections (along with me realizing how little room for error there is for slingshot missions lol). Third stream will be live tomorrow, and I will be doing the Mercury flyby, which may end up being the last part.

dundun92

Reaction score
Stream replay of another mission, this time a Venus flyby/free return to the Earth. Managed to do it without using any quicksaves until the tricky reentry/initial aerocapture, but the best ive done so far ? (note, its a bit long [3 hrs] as I basically did everything barring the final Earth orbit adjustments to either aling with KSC or Mir)