General Question Orbiter views on different displays

Wrangler

Document Skimmer
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

This might be an FAQ, so point me to the relevant thread/doc if possible.

I have been asked to demonstrate a lunar landing to my son's classmates. My wife told me that I volunteered for this at the last PTA. Which is funny cause I could swear that my wife went there alone.

Anyway, now that I have volunteered, I was hoping to do all the flying on my laptop, while showing the external view on a projector. Has anyone else ever done anything similar? I would sure appreciate some help here.

Best regards

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You should be able to output to an external display with no problems. My old Dell I'd gotten 15 years ago could do it, I just had to set it up for it. The one I have now has an HDMI output.

As far as the projector having a different view from the laptop, I don't know... Usually for something like that you'd need a graphics card with dual outputs, right?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm using Orbiter on a secondary screen all the time, no problems. In windowed mode it even works to stretch the view over multiple monitors without issue.
The only thing that could be problematic is that if you want to see anything on your laptop screen, you'll have to duplicate the display, which can be a hassle because there might not be an optimal set of common resolutions between the two devices.

There is one orbiter related thing to keep in mind, though: It might be that you have to switch the video device in the video tab (you'll know that you have to when you see nothing but a white screen...).

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Older projectors tend to have a lower screen resolution than modern laptops. If this is the case the screen resolution may be automatically reduced once the projector is connected, if the laptop screen is replicated on the projector.

This may screw up visual settings like the MFD sizes. Maybe you could try your setup in advance, without an impatient audience waiting for the show. :)

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe you could try your setup in advance, without an impatient audience waiting for the show.

That is sound advice for any kind of presentation involving a projector :lol:

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you need to display two different views in two windows at the same time, then use this add-on:

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6443"]Master/slave (rev. 38)[/ame]

It's designed to work on multiple computers, but it will work on the same computer as well, if you use it together with this: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=241888&postcount=13

Wrangler

Document Skimmer
Reaction score
Thanks

Thank you folks. I can get the single screen out to any connected display without problems. I think I did not explain myself correctly, though Kamaz got what I meant. I want to control the space craft in one view, while project the external view on the other screen the same time.

I will give the Master/Slave addon a whirl. I spotted it in the hanger, but since it mentioned multiple computers, I didn't download it. Let me test it and report back.

Thanks again to all for their guidance.