Installation Orbiter will not run at 3840 x 1280

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
I have mentioned this in another thread on these forums before, but I'm attempting to run Orbiter using a Triple Head 2 Go. For those of you unfamiliar with this, it essentially pretends to be a large 3840x1024 monitor, and outputs to three 1280x1024 19" screens.

Whenever I attempt run Orbiter at this resolution, it crashes immediately -- I don't even get the loading screen. I've tried it with Orbiter 2006-P1 and the newest 2009 beta build. In both cases, it CTD, but in the latter, an error is produced that might be helpful (attached).

With a bit of testing, I've found that the CTD occurs at above around 2000 px wide -- below that works fine. I also get the same results when running full screen or in a window.

I would think someone out there would have had this problem, or else know of a solution.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Also, running Windows XP SP3, with a Nvidia Geforce something or other (sorry can't remember exactly, and at work).

Thanks for any responses!

Attachments

• orbiter_wide_error.jpg
    orbiter_wide_error.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 28

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Always enumerate devices. Also, try stencil buffer to see if that works.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
DX7 has a built-in resolution limit of 2048 horizontal (not sure about the vertical limit). Does the enumeration list actually offer you larger resolutions? That would have to count as a bug in the DX7 device enumeration. I may have to disable those modes by hand.

The OGLA client probably doesn't have those limitations.

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
Hi, Dr. Schweiger - thanks for your response.

DX7 has a built-in resolution limit of 2048 horizontal (not sure about the vertical limit). Does the enumeration list actually offer you larger resolutions? That would have to count as a bug in the DX7 device enumeration. I may have to disable those modes by hand.

Yes, these modes are offered in the list. I didn't realize there was a hard limit in DX7.

The OGLA client probably doesn't have those limitations.

It doesn't. I actually also posted today my results with OGLA here in case it's of any interest:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=107007#post107007

I'm 2/3 finished building a simpit, and so was attempting to get stable release working first since I figured I'd be using that most of the time.

yagni01

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm 2/3 finished building a simpit, and so was attempting to get stable release working first since I figured I'd be using that most of the time.
How about posting a recent picture in the simpit subforum. . .

bpops

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
Website
picasaweb.google.com
I wonder if there would be a way to manually add a full-screen resolution to the list?

Since 3840 x 1024 is not possible, I would run at 2048 x 546 if it was an option.

Anyone know?