Project Plannet Hopper - Interplanetary Vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCR_500

Making my own racing simulator.
Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
What have I been saying. This theory does not include air resistance which would create terminal velocity. Which is when the force propelling you matches the force trying to slow you down. Specificly, it's when the gravitational force cannot pull an object down any faster due to the high air resistance. An example of an object at terminal velocity is an opened parachute. However, without a paratchute, terminal velocity is always deadly.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
What have I been saying. This theory does not include air resistance which would create terminal velocity. Which is when the force propelling you matches the force trying to slow you down. Specificly, it's when the gravitational force cannot pull an object down any faster due to the high air resistance. An example of an object at terminal velocity is an opened parachute. However, without a paratchute, terminal velocity is always deadly.
...So you're making your own theories, then?

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Isn't that how science works? Make a theory and submit it to a test? Well, I made the theory, and I will test the theory.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Isn't that how science works? Make a theory and submit it to a test? Well, I made the theory, and I will test the theory.
You should probably understand existing theories before making your own.

What's wrong with the existing theories?

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
In one word. Nothing. Although there may already be theories to explain certain phenomena, those theories may be overturned by another theory or there may be another theory introduced and you just have more choices on what theory to use.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In one word. Nothing. Although there may already be theories to explain certain phenomena, those theories may be overturned by another theory or there may be another theory introduced and you just have more choices on what theory to use.
Yeah....so people could use the well-established, well-documented, precise existing theories...or they could use the TCR "well, after a few seconds it's fallen twice as far..." theory.

Always good to have a choice.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

There is something that's quite new and known as "evidence". Someone comes up with a theory, someone else tests it. If that theory works out it becomes fact.

If you want to change the laws of physics with a new theory then go ahead but only AFTER you submit a paper for peer review.

Until then you will have to accept that others actually know what the hell they are talking about.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Enough of the attacks! For the third time! I base my theory on a theory from a science program I saw. So the theory is perfectly valid.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Enough of the attacks! For the third time! I base my theory on a theory from a science program I saw. So the theory is perfectly valid.
Why do you need another theory? Just use the currently existing one and make your life easier.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Well, unless it goes directly against the law to challange scientific laws, I will challange any scientific law I choose. Now let's get back to the topic.

I did some research on plasma, and I ran into a problem. I need to heat up a substance (I'm probably going to choose Nitrogen) enough to get rid of it's electrons. Then cool it down so it doesn't melt the star ship. And for the plasma pulse turrets, I'll need a way to break part of the magnetic field temperaraly to allow the pulse to go through the shield.

Nerull

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, unless it goes directly against the law to challange scientific laws, I will challange any scientific law I choose. Now let's get back to the topic.

I did some research on plasma, and I ran into a problem. I need to heat up a substance (I'm probably going to choose Nitrogen) enough to get rid of it's electrons. Then cool it down so it doesn't melt the star ship. And for the plasma pulse turrets, I'll need a way to break part of the magnetic field temperaraly to allow the pulse to go through the shield.
Cool it down, at which point it regains its electrons and is no longer a plasma...

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
In theory, if it's done correctly, it should not re-gain it's electrons. But, that's only a theory. And I have nothing available to create plasma or to test the theory. But there could be a way to cool it down without it re-gaining it's electrons.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In theory, if it's done correctly, it should not re-gain it's electrons. But, that's only a theory. And I have nothing available to create plasma or to test the theory. But there could be a way to cool it down without it re-gaining it's electrons.
Do you have any research at all to back up this theory, or is this just another thing that you've made up after having spent less than an hour reading about plasmas?

insane_alien

Reaction score
well you can cool it down and have it remain plasma but this requires either extraordinary low pressure which make it useless as a weapon as the beam will be indistinguishable from the rest of space or extraordinarily strong magnetic fields which will make it useless once it leaves the barrel.

and you have to remember that a plasma weapons 'bullet' will disperse rapidly in space making it useful only for very short range weapons. you're probably going to be looking at 100m before damage to other ships becomes negligble.

TCR_500

Reaction score
Website
gaming.tchapman500.com
Hieler: I already had a lot of knowladge on plasma. I knew it was a state of matter, and I knew it can be contained in a magnetic field, and I knew that there have been experiments to make "cold plasma". All before I did any online research on the substance. The online research I did just increased my knowladge. Your comment did not contribute to this conversation.

Insane alien: Good point. I'll need a container for the turrets. But I don't intend on cooling the plasma from the weapons down at all. But I need to cool the plasma off just enough so the ship doesn't melt. Or add a heat shield, which will increase the mass of the space craft. For the weapons, it's clear that I will have to build a shell. The plasma will be made from hydrogen. It's an explosive gas as it is, theory: turn it to plasma, hit an object at about 1000 feet per second, you'll get an extreamly hot, extreamly explosive substance all over that area. Not to mention the debris from the shell. The problem is, would it explode before it looses it's electrons? If so, under what conditions?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Just a thought, have you considered rather than launching a plasma bolt alone, launch the 'bolt' and it's magnetic container? You wouldn't have to worry so much about dispersion. With this route, you'd also have a logistics problem (reloads for your mag-containers). Of course this is all future tech, but hey...

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
Hey Guys
How about before open warfare breaks out here you all peruse these articles and you will perhaps all have a better understanding of the whole space warfare subject.Then when you are all properly armed intelectually you can proceed to decimate each other here.I would think that with as few people as there are in the orbiter community willing to create add-ons and take an interest in the program that you would encourage their interest and not attack them at every turn.also on the other side the new addon developer should be open to CONSTRUCTIVE criticism from other developers who obviously have much more experience and knowledge and he should be willing to learn from them.Just a thought.L8R

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2005/20050606/hunter-1-a.shtml

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2005/20050613/hunter-2-a.shtml

TonyZ

insane_alien

Reaction score
Insane alien: Good point. I'll need a container for the turrets. But I don't intend on cooling the plasma from the weapons down at all. But I need to cool the plasma off just enough so the ship doesn't melt. Or add a heat shield, which will increase the mass of the space craft. For the weapons, it's clear that I will have to build a shell. The plasma will be made from hydrogen. It's an explosive gas as it is, theory: turn it to plasma, hit an object at about 1000 feet per second, you'll get an extreamly hot, extreamly explosive substance all over that area. Not to mention the debris from the shell. The problem is, would it explode before it looses it's electrons? If so, under what conditions?

ROFL.

1/ at temperatures where the ship would be boiling even, plasma would recombine and become a gas.

2/ why? much better to use magnetic guides where the plasma doesn't physically contact the wall of the channel.

also, hydrogen is only explosive if you mix it with oxygen and when both of those are gasses. not plasmas. fire hydrogen plasma at a ship and all your going to do is heat damage and hydrogen embrittlement. there will be no explosion.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
The plasma will be made from hydrogen. It's an explosive gas as it is, theory: turn it to plasma, hit an object at about 1000 feet per second, you'll get an extreamly hot, extreamly explosive substance all over that area. Not to mention the debris from the shell. The problem is, would it explode before it looses it's electrons? If so, under what conditions?
OK, I deleted my earlier post - self-censorship is something we should all practice from time to time ;)

Hydrogen is explosive because it forms tight covalent bonds with other atoms - oxygen for example. Covalent bonds require atomically bound electrons so they can form - something you do not have in a plasma. Therefore, the protons and deuterons in your plasma weapon are not "explosive". They will however cause damage by thermal and kinetic effects as pointed out in the links that TonyZ2525 provided, but any plasma will do that.

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Hieler: I already had a lot of knowladge on plasma. I knew it was a state of matter, and I knew it can be contained in a magnetic field, and I knew that there have been experiments to make "cold plasma".
(Not Contibuting) Congrats, you saw the Star Wars Special on the History Channel.

(Contributing) Okay, one question: Why don't you forget weapons at this point? Make the ship first, then you can add weapons. Right now it seems like the weapons are the most important part of the ship to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.