Meshing Question Problem with anim8or transparent textures

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi everyone. This is a pretty straightforward problem. I apply a material to the windows of my vessel, set the transparency to about 0.25, and it looks all nice and transparent in anim8or.

When I convert the .3ds file into a .msh file using anim8or3ds2mesh, however, the materials are no longer transparent.

Is there any way I can set the transparency in the actual .msh file? Or is there another solution?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I use Urwumpe's mesh export plug-in for Anim8or and I am happy with the results:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2698"]Anim8or 0.95b .msh export script 070514[/ame]

I dislike the crumpled paper look I get from 3ds2msh, plus the scaling is always wrong.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, that looks convenient... I'll take it for a spin. :speakcool:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Only problem I've had with it is that if you have more than one material on one mesh group, you need to seperate that portion from the rest of the group. For example, if you have, say, a bulkhead witha a silver metal material on it, and your window is also part of the same group, but has a transparent blue material on it, you need to click on the window faces and choose "detach faces" from the dropdown menu to create a new group. I don't think Urwumpe has found a way around this, but as long as you keep it in mind from the start of your project it's not difficult to deal with.

It's more than offset by the convenience of saving an Orbiter mesh file straight from Anim8or.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
EDIT: I hate to be a party pooper, but it would appear that the script file is not working... But perhaps it is mostly due to my lack of knowledge of how to work anim8or scripts.

If I select 'Load Script', there are no errors, but I cannot select a .msh extension.

If I select 'Run Script', there is apparently an error on line 17 of the script file.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
The list of extensions at the bottom of the "export" box should have an Orbiter .msh choice. I can't remember how I installed it. Perhaps you should ask Urwumpe.

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The list of extensions at the bottom of the "export" box should have an Orbiter .msh choice. I can't remember how I installed it. Perhaps you should ask Urwumpe.
I will ask him.

-----Post Added-----

Fixed! Had to put the script in a folder and tell anim8or to preload all scripts in that folder. :speakcool: