Problem with Meade DS-2114 azimuth drive

YL3GDY

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have some problem with my Meade DS-2114 scope. When trying to align it or rotate around azimuthal axis, I hear motor working, but the scope rotates only some first seconds. It looks like there is very poor grip in azimuth drive mechanism.

I have tried to disassemble this mechanism and saw that the grip part (a on the photo) is absent (looks like there was a plastic thing, which broke; b is the place of gear which is attached to tripod part). I've tried to put there a rubber, but it didn't help.

I wonder if someone can give an advice how to solve this problem?

Attachments

• az_drive_ds2114.JPG
    az_drive_ds2114.JPG
    520.4 KB · Views: 23

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't know if your scopes still under warranty, but if so the dealer you bought if from should be able to send you a replacement part. If not, you're going to have to go through another dealer to buy what you need. If that's the case, the folks at Astronomics ( www.astronomics.com ) in Norman Oklahoma may be able to solve your problem as they have a wide range of scopes and accessories/parts for all major brands.

YL3GDY

Reaction score
Thank you tgep for your advice. The main problem here is that the warranty is over. Also there is no Meade dealer here in Latvia (I've received this scope as a prize in astronomy contest in Greece). So I am trying to solve this problem using my own hands.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Try emailing Meade!
I don't know how cool of a company they are, but if you tell them your story, make it a little heartwarming with the contest and not having a dealer around and maybe overexegarate your love for meade products a bit, they might help you out!
Good publicity and even small ones, if not the customer itself are always an important part to a serious company.

YL3GDY

Reaction score
Thanks for your advice, TSPenguin!

It's very interesting idea :) I'll try to follow it. I hope they wouldn't be too greedy and send me required part.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's another good idea. When the tilt plate on my LX-50 cracked at the thread hole, I called Meade and was able to purchase a new tilt plate for much less than what I could have gotten from a dealer.

The only problem you MAY run into is if the model you have is no longer in production. There should still be a part for that drive or one comparable to it availible though.

Excellent idea TS !

:cheers: