Question Problems connecting PC with TV

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Aside from the mouse and keyboard? Not even the monitor?
Specifically not the monitor. Other peripherals probably don't matter.

The purpose is that if it's the only video device available, it will force it as the primary device which means it (should) negotiate a valid resolution. You can then use that to find valid resolutions, and then switch back to using the monitor also.

I know for some graphics cards (like mine), any secondary video outs (like HDMI or S-video) are forced to be a repeat for something that's plugged into one of the two primary DVI outputs, regardless of the video settings in the computer. That may or may not be the case for you, and if it is, switching the monitor to the other DVI out may fix it. That said, I don't know for sure which graphics card you're using. Have you got all the latest drivers?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That may or may not be the case for you, and if it is, switching the monitor to the other DVI out may fix it. That said, I don't know for sure which graphics card you're using. Have you got all the latest drivers?
It's an NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, with the latest drivers. Only has one DVI, one HDMI and one S-video.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's an NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT, with the latest drivers. Only has one DVI, one HDMI and one S-video.

Hmmm, the HDMI is probably one of the primaries then.

I'd say give it a try without the normal monitor plugged in, just the TV. Pretty sure it can't hurt anything--worst case scenario, you're no better off than you are now.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd say give it a try without the normal monitor plugged in, just the TV. Pretty sure it can't hurt anything--worst case scenario, you're no better off than you are now.
Did that and it woke up during Windows boot-up sequence. Was redder than a red giant and I could see the vertical bars! But as soon as Windows had booted up, it was back to the same black screen and "unsupported video format" error message.

So for now I'm back on the monitor to post this. TV did report 1080p when it briefly worked.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Did that and it woke up during Windows boot-up sequence. Was redder than a red giant and I could see the vertical bars! But as soon as Windows had booted up, it was back to the same black screen and "unsupported video format" error message.

So for now I'm back on the monitor to post this. TV did report 1080p when it briefly worked.

That is good news. Windows uses an 'extenal' monitor during bootup. I would connect up a normal monitor at the same time as the TV. Then change the Extended Desktop Settings in Apperence(Or some where like that). I think Windows is confused about which port is the primary output.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Aside from the mouse and keyboard? Not even the monitor?

That might work, at least it will give troubleshooting information. And for this to work it is important that the only display like device is the TV.

Also could you please give us the exact model of the TV and the graphics card?

EDIT: It could be that for some dip**** DRM reasons the ports work only alone or in clone mode (Yes, it doesn't make sense).

Was redder than a red giant and I could see the vertical bars!
If your image was really red, then most likely the cable is broken or not really connected.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also could you please give us the exact model of the TV and the graphics card?
TV: Philips 32PLF5403/10
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT

If your image was really red, then most likely the cable is broken or not really connected.
Oh, yes it was really red. It was like someone had cranked the Red componet up to 255. And it is fully seated in both slots.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It didn't, but thanks for procedure anyway.

My computer will only go as high as 1440x900. Could the graphics card be at fault here? Maybe it can't support HD output? It is a bit sluggish playing back 1080 HD movies.

And you say you have the 8600GT? I have the same card and it supports 1080p with no problems. Back in my WoW days I was playing on my 47" LG in 1080p, but my TV has a VGA port and I was connected via DVI & DVI/VGA adapter. (My particular 8600GT has dual DVI and one S-video).

I would double-check and make sure you have the correct drivers. Also, you could try setting the TV (monitor 2 in Windows) to one of the lower resolutions that you listed your TV supports, such as 1024x768 and make sure the refresh rate is set to 60hz as that appears to be the only rate your TV supports for PC Input
*One note about the PC input and refresh rate - I believe this may be referring to input coming via the VGA port if it has one. As TSPenguin mentioned, you might find in the documentation that there is a specific HDMI port assigned for PC input.

Until you get this resolved, you could also try the S-video, if your TV has an input. I've done this successfully with laptops and Westinghouse TVs and it works ok, though no 1920x1080 is available (at least on the laptop I used).

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I have been looking through the documentation for the display.
IMO a bad buy, but that should be discussed elsewhere.

First and foremost, whilst your TV accepts 1080p input, the panels native resolution is WXGA (1366x768). So it only makes sense to run it at that resolution if you plan to read anything on the screen. For video the downscaled 1080p or upscaled 720p should be fine.
Unfortunately according to the manual it only accepts VGA, SVGA, XGA (which are all 4:3) and 1080p.

Here is the strange thing. The manual differs from the leaflet quite a bit.
According to the leaflet it supports 1080i and not 1080p! I just hope that is a ****ed up typo.
The leaflet also states that the TV accepts a refresh rate up to 85Hz for all resolutions up to 1024x768, the manual says 60Hz for all (This is neglectable).

I suggest running the screen at 1024x768. When you set the display to "unscaled" you should have an unscaled image aka pixel on pixel aka you can read on it. Once that works you can try if 1366x768 works too.
1080p is a lie on that screen anyway.

The windows boot screen is 640x480, so start there and work your way up.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The windows boot screen is 640x480, so start there and work your way up.
That's going to be a problem. The lowest res available is 800x600.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Here is the strange thing. The manual differs from the leaflet quite a bit.
According to the leaflet it supports 1080i and not 1080p! I just hope that is a ****ed up typo.
The leaflet also states that the TV accepts a refresh rate up to 85Hz for all resolutions up to 1024x768, the manual says 60Hz for all (This is neglectable).
Where's this 'leaflet'? Also, a 1080p TV should support 1080i, so the leaflet may not be conflicting unless it literally says that 1080p is not supported by the TV. (no one broadcasts 1080p though :p)

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
That leaflet is on the Philips homepage, right next to the manual :p
What I meant to say is, that there is only 1080i listed and 1080p is not.
There are few stations broadcasting 1080p, this is true, but Blueray etc. all are 1080p.
I don't know the broadcasting habbits in sweden though.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry for bumping such an old thread but there's news on the situation.

I have managed to get the HDMI connection working between the TV and the computer, but the picture on the TV is distorted in color and has some weird reddish noise lines all over it.

Altering the TV's resolution in the NVIDIA Control Panel doesn't do anything to clear the problems up.

So looking for any more advices on the matter since getting just a display other than some weired error message is huge leap forward!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I have managed to get the HDMI connection working between the TV and the computer, but the picture on the TV is distorted in color and has some weird reddish noise lines all over it.

How try tried adjusting the refresh rate? Also, are there any outputs for the output type? e.g. PAL, NTSC or SECAM?

I managed to cause a similar problem with my TV once because I was trying to send a SECAM encoded signal to a PAL TV.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How try tried adjusting the refresh rate? Also, are there any outputs for the output type? e.g. PAL, NTSC or SECAM?

I managed to cause a similar problem with my TV once because I was trying to send a SECAM encoded signal to a PAL TV.
Refresh rate: Tried it and no change.
Signal: See no option for that.

Attached a screenshot of the Custom Resolutions section of the NVIDIA Control Panel.

Attachments

• NVIDIA_CP_TV.jpg
    NVIDIA_CP_TV.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 10

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
Your problem is probably the refresh rate afterall.
Try 50Hz, if that doesn't work 25Hz should do the trick.
Which is contrary to what the manual says, but that thing does not really give good info anyway. As I said before, outputting that resolution to the screen is pretty pointless as it's resolution is way lower than 1080. But then again it is supposed to only support 1080p and three 4:3 resolutions.
So let's forget about the manual and try the native panel resolution. In any case that should yield the best results (if supported).

Analog TV standards like PAL, SECAM and NTSC are non-existent when you enter the real of "HD".

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
TV: Philips 32PLF5403/10

I used to have one of those (well, 5404: which I presume is more or less the same), and it can only do 780p or whatever it's called. 1080p doesn't work.
Philips 5600 and above are the 1080p ones, 5400 are 780p.

Also, if you're seeing red weird lines then try cleaning the hdmi cable. Mine did that a while back, turns out that the connecter was full of dust and stuff.

(edit)
I don't know the broadcasting habbits in sweden though.

We hardly have any normal HD stations, let alone 1080p ones ;)

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I used to have one of those (well, 5404: which I presume is more or less the same), and it can only do 780p or whatever it's called. 1080p doesn't work.
Philips 5600 and above are the 1080p ones, 5400 are 780p.
Thanks for the note! The problem more accurately described is that picture's red channel is driven straight into the maximum negative value. Along with the red noise.

I have attached a image that shows what the TV is showing. I have also attached the source photo showing how the image is supposed to look like.

Attachments

• TV_screenshot_simulation.jpg
    TV_screenshot_simulation.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 06pd2051-m.jpg
    06pd2051-m.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 7

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
The cable is not botched up or something along that lines?
Because you should not see any noise in the first place!