Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
Hi all,

I need some beta testers for Progress.

progressm1qh8.jpg

ktdu80sn0.jpg

I have started from the TMA mesh parts by Jason Benson.

Progress has animated parts, internal tanks (payload fuel, O2 and water), a sun tracking autopilot (still very simple
and a little buggy), UMMU to send someone inside while docked and a virtual cockpit view from the pressurized section.
Batteries are self recharging/discharging and a waste gauge indicates when the pressurized section is full of wastes (approximatively 6 month to be full). If the gauge reach 100% Progress will auto-undock and further docking is not possible.
On reentry, it burns then disappears.

It can be launched using the Soyuz series available on mustard's site or the project R-7 by astronaut on orbihangar.
Progress works fine with Soyuz guidance MFD.

Please if you have time to test thanks!

08.16.2008 -> NEW VERSION, BETA2
08.19.2008 -> NEW VERSION, BETA3
08.22.2008 -> NEW VERSION, BETA4 :)

08.28.2008 -> attachment removed , Beta tests end, release to come soon.

Last edited:

Travis Reed

Unstable
Reaction score
You may be able to adapt the solar tracking for panels and AP from one of Kulch's fictional satellites (I was thinking of SkyLinkSat). I believe he's released the sources, but you should probably ask permission anyway.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
Regarding the airlock key you asked, Yes I was able to get it working with the "A" key. Transfered ummu perfectly!

GeorgeTirebiter

Reaction score
Excellent work! So far, I've only been able to find one small problem. If I transfer two people into the ship, their names are superimposed on the info screen.

I also have a question about the cameras. You've probably researched this more than I have, but is the front camera in the correct place for Progress? In the docking videos that I've seen, the Soyuz periscope is aligned with the visual docking target, but the front camera with crosshairs and Kurs information isn't. In the Progress, however, the camera seems to be installed where the periscope would be in the Soyuz, so the crosshairs line up with the visual target. Most space stations for Orbiter don't have the visual docking targets, but that's something I'd like to change.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
The two names are merged on my end too. What's the morse do? Just for fun? Or possibly a function in the future?

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
Excellent work! So far, I've only been able to find one small problem. If I transfer two people into the ship, their names are superimposed on the info screen.

I also have a question about the cameras. You've probably researched this more than I have, but is the front camera in the correct place for Progress? In the docking videos that I've seen, the Soyuz periscope is aligned with the visual docking target, but the front camera with crosshairs and Kurs information isn't. In the Progress, however, the camera seems to be installed where the periscope would be in the Soyuz, so the crosshairs line up with the visual target.

Thanks ;) I will fix the names position on the HUD

Regarding the view, I am not sure. I have been able to locate where the camera is on the soyuz (older and tma) as for older progress but for the M1 I have not been able to find a photo showing this part of the vessel and I am really not sure of its location.
I have a docking video showing the camera view while the docking occurs.
They are from MIR era, so this is not a progressM1 but a progressM.

The view aims at cross under the docking port, slightly offsetted from the center on the left.

This a thing I have been able to do with Zvezda by Jekka (with a mesh to represent the target. Unfortunately, ISS docking ports (on zvezda module, ISS port 3) are too big to allow that.

targetispaintedyc7.jpg

This is where I believe the camera is but I have not verified it (this is also the reason why the camera is not represented on the 3d model).

Most space stations for Orbiter don't have the visual docking targets, but that's something I'd like to change.
That is also a thing I wish to be changed.

The two names are merged on my end too. What's the morse do? Just for fun? Or possibly a function in the future?
I am not sure, but in the first place I wanted to do something with it (it is an heritage of some work I have made on a Soyuz7K-T code). The morse says "URAL".

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
new dll

Here is a fix for the names on the HUD:

attachment removed, download beta3 (see first post of the thread ;)

Last edited:

MerciMartin

Reaction score
hi all.
i ve begun some tests on the progress.

some remarks :

when it is docked it possible to retract antenna and then they collided with the dockport.

the "center of gravity" of the ship is at the rear. It is possible to make it at the middle of the vessel ?

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
Ah, yes that's because of the RCS position!
It is not the ship's centre of gravity, it is PAO's center of gravity.

I have modified PMI to make progress moving like it has a mass to carry outside of center (well, sorry if you don't understand, that's so hard for me to explain that in english :huh:).

when it is docked it possible to retract antenna and then they collided with the dockport.
Do you mean the 2AO-VKA antenna? It is retractable (CTRL+K). Usually, this antenna is really close but it doesn't collide. If you follows check lists, this antenna must be retracted prior to docking as it seems to be in reality.

If you are using MIR 1.3, I suggest to modify the front docking port like this to avoid all antenna to collide and to reflect the original port on mir which was this way:

;Front
[DOCK_0]
POS=(0,0,7.041)
DIR=(0,0,1)
ROT=(-0.705,-0.705,0) ;(45° rotation around z axis)

GeorgeTirebiter

Reaction score
Youtube has videos of the six most recent Progress dockings with the ISS (although I think those were also M and not M1). Here's an overview image of some of those dockings. I tried to grab the picture at the moment of capture, or as close as possible before the video was lost or the docking light turned off. From left to right, top row: Progress M59 docking with Pirs, M61 w/ Pirs. Middle row: M63 w/ Pirs, M64 w/ Zarya. The bottom row has Soyuz dockings for comparison. From left to right, TMA9 docking w/ the aft port of Zvezda, and TMA11 w/ Zarya. The Soyuz images are from a greater distance to show both the dock and target; at the moment of capture they just show a closeup of the insulation blankets. I've added arrows to the targets to make them easier to see.

docking_overview.jpg

I've tried to estimate the distance between the target and the center of the docking port from various drawings and photos. The best I can do is that it's somewhere around 1.7 or 1.8 meters. Maybe someone knows the exact value?

I hope this helps.

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
I've tried to estimate the distance between the target and the center of the docking port from various drawings and photos. The best I can do is that it's somewhere around 1.7 or 1.8 meters. Maybe someone knows the exact value?

I hope this helps.
That puts the camera lower than I put it myself and as you stated in your previous post the camera seems to be installed where the periscope is.

Your estimation seems accurate, more or less matching the position of the periscope.

This was not the case on earlier progress (before progressM), I thought that it was still the same. I must modify that!

DS%20pirs%2002.jpg

This photo of pirs module shows well that the visual target is aligned with the docking port axis. It will be easier when I will play with attachments to put visual targets on stations modules :)

Master of Blades

Reaction score
Very nicely done, you should consider making a Soyuz one :3

Can we hope for a custom main engine exhaust texture? Automatic disabling of the RCS texture during time accelration above 10x would be neat too, accelrating time and using the RCS, drops the FPS dramaticly

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
Thanks ;)

Can we hope for a custom main engine exhaust texture? Automatic disabling of the RCS texture during time accelration above 10x would be neat too, accelrating time and using the RCS, drops the FPS dramaticly
Yes, I will make a custom texture for main engine exhaust.

I know that RCS exhausts are a pain for the FPS. My first idea was exactly to disable RCS exhausts rendering during time acceleration above x10 but I am not sure how to do that.

SPQR

Reaction score
Very nice so long awaited russian space vehicle, it was worth the waiting :speakcool:

Here are some seen points, usefull or useless, it'sup to you to tell me ;)

- About UMMU and transfering crewmen from ISS to Progress, the inboard message tells us "... transfered to Soyuz"

- Was it you intent to remove the flight programs keys (killrot, prograd,...) on the lower part of the screen, except in Periscope mod ?

- Engaging Suntracking don't disengage currently fonctionning program (prograde for exemple), causing uncontroled mouvements if the pilot (myself in this case) didn't care

- Fuel management works well, however Progress' own propellant tank is available in 1st choice (880 kg). Main tank (1950 kg), Gas (50 kg) and water (420 kg) come after. In reality, could fuel be transfered to a Progress from ISS ?

- In the docking camera view, is it normal if these's no data (written in white) given about target and Progress movements - I was preciselly thinking about wx, wy and wz) ?

- I discovered that when shuting by accident the engin cover while retrograding I got this view. Nevertheless It disappears as soon as you change the camera type (CTRL-0).

bug01xv1.jpg

It also happens when engaging the camerashake option for the Progress.

- D is used for undocking. I discovered that CTRL-D works too. Shouln't it be safer the undock with 2 keys instead of only one (unless you open the airlock as soon as you are docked, a safety I tested and approve).

- Maybe it is a conflict with another addon, because, when starting the ground launch mission (where we are supposed to engage the autopilot at SIM t+145 s), ISS is already too far away, 3 cases away from Baikonour, on the right (map MFD). However the launch azimut is perfect.

I really love you Progress :woohoo:

Last edited:

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
Very nice so long awaited russian space vehicle, it was worth the waiting :speakcool:

Here are some seen points, usefull or useless, it'sup to you to tell me ;)

- About UMMU and transfering crewmen from ISS to Progress, the inboard message tells us "... transfered to Soyuz"

- Was it you intent to remove the flight programs keys (killrot, prograd,...) on the lower part of the screen, except in Periscope mod ?

- Engaging Suntracking don't disengage currently fonctionning program (prograde for exemple), causing uncontroled mouvements if the pilot (myself in this case) didn't care

- Fuel management works well, however Progress' own propellant tank is available in 1st choice (880 kg). Main tank (1950 kg), Gas (50 kg) and water (420 kg) come after. In reality, could fuel be transfered to a Progress from ISS ?

- In the docking camera view, is it normal if these's no data (written in white) given about target and Progress movements - I was preciselly thinking about wx, wy and wz) ?

- I discovered that when shuting by accident the engin cover while retrograding I got this view. Nevertheless It disappears as soon as you change the camera type (CTRL-0).

It also happens when engaging the camerashake option for the Progress.

- D is used for undocking. I discovered that CTRL-D works too. Shouln't it be safer the undock with 2 keys instead of only one (unless you open the airlock as soon as you are docked, a safety I tested and approve).

- Maybe it is a conflict with another addon, because, when starting the ground launch mission (where we are supposed to engage the autopilot at SIM t+145 s), ISS is already too far away, 3 cases away from Baikonour, on the right (map MFD). However the launch azimut is perfect.

I really love you Progress :woohoo:
Thanks ;)

This "Soyuz" transfer is some nasty copy and paste block of text effect...
It will be removed quickly :declare:

Yes flight program keys are removed in views except for periscope, I can restore that easily if needed (?)

KTDU-80 as only access to main propellant tank (880kg).
Payload fuel is to be tranferred to ISS, I don't know if you can transfer fuel from ISS to progress, no need AFAIK. The 1950kg tank is not the main tank.

D must and will be moved to CTRL+D (already working as you noticed)!

For the datas in docking mode view (CTRL+0), select a target (CTRL+5) to see datas (for now you have datas from the target station, but the goal is to have data from the target port).
wx, wy and wz are angular velocity, except if gravity gradient torque is enbaled or if your station is rotating, it will forever be 0 but you have relative distance and velocity (from the station, not the port... I nedd some work to retrieve the prot and first detect how many they are etc etc...)

Regarding view offset when closing engine cover while retrograding, I am affraid that Progress is not compatible with any attempt to modify its view outside its code as many things are declared as private: .
In result, using or activating camera shake is probably the cause.
Of course, I will check that again!

3 cases away from Baïkonur... for an unmanned progress.
It is not that easy to find the good launch windows. You can launch earlier, but you will have to yaw and watch carefully LAN.

Beta2 version is on its way.

EDIT: I have tested engine cover closing while retrograding and burning, no problem to report here. I get no view change. Try deactivating uneeded MFD (As I said, camera shake can be incompatible like any MFD that aims at modifying cockpit views.

-----Posted Added-----

BETA2 version available (see first post to download).

CHANGES:

- Docking camera position moved to periscope position.

- Fixed some typos and text on the HUD (now the vessel's name as written in the scenario file is displayed instead of "soyuz" when you transfer a crew inside Progress).

- "CTRL+D" is the only way to undock ("D" key removed).

- Orbiter navigation autopilots (prograde/retrograde etc...) are disbled when activating Sun tracking.

- RCS rendering disabled if time acceleration above x10.

Thanks ;)

Last edited:

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
This might be a bug; after undocking and doing a re-entry burn I get a CTD when the vehicle actually re-enters atmosphere........

SPQR

Reaction score
This might be a bug; after undocking and doing a re-entry burn I get a CTD when the vehicle actually re-enters atmosphere........

I confirm this bug causing CTD. It happened while being in external view. UMMU ISS and last stage soyuz rocket were in-game.

no matter

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
pagesperso-orange.fr
I am checking that...
Please, can you post your log file?

I can't reproduce this at home on a clean install (orbiter / ummu / orbitersound / the same Prgress archive as the one available here).

When does it occurs exactly, before solar panels and antenna are snatched? before texture change?

Please can you try a little test?
Open orbiter on any scenario, choose a vessel, open scenario editor and delete that vessel (don't choose progress). Does it crash orbiter?