OHM Project Gemini

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Thank you. PM sent.

Also just PMed Replicant about using his work on Gemini (with due credit given to everyone who has contributed to Project Gemini in one way or another).

Perhaps it's time to move this discussion over to Addon Development?

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
4throck...any chance you're interested in whipping up one of your amazing ground meshes & tetures for LC14?

Not right now..
I'm working on a LUA based MFD for the Agena, so my hands are full!
Of course, LC14 makes sense to do, but it's just eye candy, not crucial from my point of view.
If the Agena control works, I plan to add a Centaur upper stage for circumlunar flights....
But by all means move this to a proper development thread and get things organized, so that there's no overlap. I'll help as possible.

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Fair enough. I'll see want I can come up with for a terrain mesh at some point. Going over the recovery material Titan had been working on with gattispilot before I start. No sense duplicating effort...

BTW, heard form gattispilot & Replicant - they're onboard with the idea so I'll start a thread in Addon Development as soon as I'm up to speed on the recovery project.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Just to stress that I think that the first step to get a good thing going is to get all the source material (meshes, textures,docs, sounds, etc) released as add-on resources.
This was the origin of the Soyuz 7K add-on, that started with the only the meshes available. It's also a good way to see the actual scope of the project and what's missing.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Released this: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6380"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6380[/ame]
Normalmaps for the Titan II!

13.11.26%2022-51-13%20Molly-Brown.jpg

Of course goes nicely with Project Gemini !

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Super! Still trying to sort out all the meshes Titan had going, but this will sure come in handy!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
And I have another toy for you all.

The Agena MFD!
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6381"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6381[/ame]

agenaMFD.jpg

It needs testing, but I think it's functional enough for a test release, again as developer resources. Don't see much point of using it outside the Gemini addon.

If it works correctly, it will check if the Agena is present and allows remote control using the original command codes. Did my best to interpret the original functions, but the basic thing (firing the Agena main engine) is there!

It deserves proper documentation, but right now I don't have any time for that. As before, please feel free to include this in any future Gemini "repack". There's room for improvement by adding some lights or extra commands, of course.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wasn't the "Bin" switch also the ENC-Switch? :hmm:

Morgan

Reaction score
Is it possible to use this with D3D9 client? I get a crash on loading screen with no error in the log.

Code:
**** Creating simulation session
D3D9Client: [DirectX 9 Initialized]
D3D9Client: Sytem has XNA math support
D3D9Client: [3DDevice Initialized]
D3D9Client: [Compiling Effects for Shader Model 3.0]
D3D9Client: [Loading Stars]
D3D9Client: [Loading Constellations]
D3D9Client: [D3D9Client Initialized]
Module Sun.dll ............... [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(E) Sun: Precision 1e-006, Terms 554/6634
Module Mercury.dll ........... [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(B) Mercury: Precision 1e-005, Terms 167/7123
Module Venus.dll ............. [Build 100830, API 100830]
Module VenusAtm2006.dll ...... [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(B) Venus: Precision 1e-005, Terms 79/1710
Module Earth.dll ............. [Build 100830, API 100830]
Module EarthAtmJ71G.dll ...... [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(B) Earth: Precision 1e-008, Terms 2564/2564
Module Moon.dll .............. [Build 100830, API 100830]
ELP82: Precision 1e-005, Terms 116/829
Module Mars.dll .............. [Build 100830, API 100830]
Module MarsAtm2006.dll ....... [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(B) Mars: Precision 1e-005, Terms 405/6400
Module Phobos.dll ............ [Build ******, API 060425]
Module Deimos.dll ............ [Build ******, API 060425]
Module Galsat.dll ............ [Build 100217, API 100215]
Module Jupiter.dll ........... [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(B) Jupiter: Precision 1e-006, Terms 1624/3625
Module Io.dll ................ [Build 100217, API 100215]
Module Europa.dll ............ [Build 100217, API 100215]
Module Ganymede.dll .......... [Build 100217, API 100215]
Module Callisto.dll .......... [Build 100217, API 100215]
Module Satsat.dll ............ [Build 100215, API 100212]
Module Saturn.dll ............ [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(B) Saturn: Precision 1e-006, Terms 2904/6365
Module Mimas.dll ............. [Build 100215, API 100212]
SATSAT Mimas: Terms 113
Module Enceladus.dll ......... [Build 100215, API 100212]
SATSAT Enceladus: Terms 33
Module Tethys.dll ............ [Build 100215, API 100212]
SATSAT Tethys: Terms 101
Module Dione.dll ............. [Build 100215, API 100212]
SATSAT Dione: Terms 59
Module Rhea.dll .............. [Build 100215, API 100212]
SATSAT Rhea: Terms 68
Module Titan.dll ............. [Build 100215, API 100212]
SATSAT Titan: Terms 100
Module Uranus.dll ............ [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(B) Uranus: Precision 1e-006, Terms 1827/5269
Module Miranda.dll ........... [Build ******, API 060425]
Module Ariel.dll ............. [Build ******, API 060425]
Module Umbriel.dll ........... [Build ******, API 060425]
Module Titania.dll ........... [Build ******, API 060425]
Module Oberon.dll ............ [Build ******, API 060425]
Module Neptune.dll ........... [Build 100830, API 100830]
VSOP87(B) Neptune: Precision 1e-006, Terms 391/2024
Finished initialising world
Module multistage2.dll ....... [Build ******, API 050206]

IvyMike

Reaction score
Lovely work!

I'm new to orbiter, and have been having trouble getting the entire addon to work properly. I've gotten all the scenarios to work fine except the ones that include the launch vehicle staging. On the launches, the scenario crashes due to a file error just as the first stage is ordered (by me or the program; makes no difference) to jettison. I suspect I haven't done something right when I added the multistage package needed to operate the addon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you.

stealthstar

Reaction score
Mine keeps crashing on every scenario. I have all the required files and I installed it the usual way an addon is installed. I also seem to have trouble finding the orbiter log so please don't ask me to post the log of the crash. I browsed every file in the orbiter file location and can't seem to access the log anywhere. All I find that comes close is the orbiter sound log but that's it. I even tried uninstalling then re installing the addon but it still crashes. I have SC3 and MS2 and I have the latest orbiter version installed so I know its not that.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:58 PM ----------

I found out that I didn't have earth 1962 installed. But I did notice this problem when I tried separating the stages after launch (yea I figured out orbiter log sorta)>>> ERROR: Stage
>>> [Vessel::OpenConfigFile | .\Vessel.cpp | 252]
---------------------------------------------------------------
>>> TERMINATING <<<

Gothmog

Reaction score
Except that the first and second j press from Gemini jettisons an astronaut. THEN you get to jettison the service module.

Sure, you can attach them back to their seats so they don't float away.

I can use the rotational thrusters throughout the mission, and I don't need to jettison either astronaut. If desired, I can turn the vessel around immediately on dropping the second stage and thereafter drop the equipment module (first "J"). Once that's done I can see four small engines in the back of what remains of the active spacecraft, each with what looks like its own little fuel tank. I'm guessing these are supposed to be the retrorockets needed to de-orbit. But nothing will make those engines fire. If I do press "J" again, this module detaches and I now have what looks like the minimal Gemini spacecraft that remains when the chutes are deployed. In the select ship menu there is no retro module, and in remote vessel control there is no such vessel available to which focus can be set.

I'm probably simply missing something because I know this install isn't clean or entirely correct, but I'm not sure where I went wrong.

ETA: I noticed also that the automated launch sequence, at least for Gemini III/Molly Brown crashes right around second-stage ignition, or thereafter; yet, that doesn't happen if I fly it manually. (Another thing that doesn't happen is reaching, but it's my flying that's to blame for that.) Still, I wonder if these two issues are related?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This addon, or other Gemini addons, never work for me.

I have similar problems, like with many other such add-ons... was the main reason to start making one for myself... but I am still wasting time there playing with software architecture experiments. :facepalm:

Gothmog

Reaction score
I have similar problems, like with many other such add-ons... was the main reason to start making one for myself... but I am still wasting time there playing with software architecture experiments. :facepalm:

Just wanted to mention I like Urwumpe's current sig:

Urwumpe said:
Low to the ground we feel safe
Low to the ground we feel brave.

On the other hand...

Low to the ground we have less time to recover control or brace for impact! :)

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I can use the rotational thrusters throughout the mission, and I don't need to jettison either astronaut. If desired, I can turn the vessel around immediately on dropping the second stage and thereafter drop the equipment module (first "J"). Once that's done I can see four small engines in the back of what remains of the active spacecraft, each with what looks like its own little fuel tank. I'm guessing these are supposed to be the retrorockets needed to de-orbit. But nothing will make those engines fire. If I do press "J" again, this module detaches and I now have what looks like the minimal Gemini spacecraft that remains when the chutes are deployed. In the select ship menu there is no retro module, and in remote vessel control there is no such vessel available to which focus can be set.

I'm probably simply missing something because I know this install isn't clean or entirely correct, but I'm not sure where I went wrong.

ETA: I noticed also that the automated launch sequence, at least for Gemini III/Molly Brown crashes right around second-stage ignition, or thereafter; yet, that doesn't happen if I fly it manually. (Another thing that doesn't happen is reaching, but it's my flying that's to blame for that.) Still, I wonder if these two issues are related?

Have you tried a clean install? I've done many missions with this add-on without any problems at all. After you jettison the equipment module, you might need to jettison the retro module and then re-dock to it to be able to use is. I'm not sure though.

Gothmog

Reaction score
Hi - not being picky - just trying to save you messing about. There is no need to jettison the astronauts. With the Gemini selected - hit 'J' to lose the equipment section, then 'J' again to 'dock' the retro section, then select that and you can use the retros. Doesn't seem to be any RCS, but IIRC the real Gemini retro section only had translational thrusters.

Works for me, anyway.
After the equipment module is jettisoned, the next two J-presses send both astronauts out into free space. The following J-press pops the top off of the space capsule. Has anyone else experienced this?

Having said all that, I love this add-on to the extent that, as some of you know, I am currently deriving an add-on of my own from it. This will be a "Little Joe" type test configuration using the live Gemini spacecraft and one stage or the other of the Titan II launch vehicle. I'm working up both configurations, and they will both fly. However, I need to dig into the code to eliminate the EVA, or at least it seems that way for reasons mentioned above. So it's a bit of a learning curve for me. Or maybe I should call it a learning "trough", because I used to be fairly competent at this, ten or so years ago, and now I have to learn it over. What's that they say about never forgetting how to code...no, wait, I think that's riding a bicycle.

26213903601_f676dc9f22_z.jpg
[/url]Gemini Joe Illustration 2 on Flickr[/IMG]

Meet "Gemini Joe"

Last edited:

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Gemini remains my favourite 1960s project, and I love this add-on. However, as others have noted, there can be problems with it. Specifically:

1. Crashes on stage separation when using autopilot.

2. Even when (1) does not occur, the autopilot does not tend to get close enough to target inclination - you use most of the capsule fuel correcting the alignment.

There is a solution - use the velcro titan II as the launcher instead.

Setup:

Payload line in the scenario file for Titan2Stg2:

PAYLOAD Gemini3 ProjectGemini/Gem_Payload Gemini3 0 0 8.10 3500.0 0.0 1.0

Obviously change the number for the relevant mission e.g.

PAYLOAD Gemini6a ProjectGemini/Gem_Payload Gemini6a 0 0 8.10 3500.0 0.0 1.0

(I haven't been able to add the fairing successfully yet).

Titan2Stg1 add PADBIAS -4.00 into the scenario file to place the velcro at the correct height on the launchpad.

For fairly accurate inclination rendezvous, set the velcro autopilot about 0.5 degrees higher that the target inclination (I find the velcro ap finishes a bit low). Launch 20 seconds Tn (descending). That seems to work for me, but there is room for more testing.

Last edited: