General Question Project Mercury ?

gagarin

Reaction score
I am amazed that there has not been a new Mercury Program for Orbiter 2010 or 2016
The last one was done magnifiecently by Rob Conley way back and I loved flying those missions - it sadly no longer works with later orbiter updates
We have an amazing Vostok program so why not a workable Mercury one ?
This is where manned space travel began after all
At the moment I am using the fantastic AOK Wings of Mercury
Thanks for listening

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It appears that user "Bibi Uncle" worked with Rob on a 2010-compatible version (6.0) of Project Mercury.

Quick mention in English, with a link to a French thread: http://www.ibiblio.org/mscorbit/mscforum/index.php?topic=2654.0

SVN: https://sourceforge.net/p/mscorbaddon/svn/HEAD/tree/Mercury/6.0/

I'm not sure how far they got on that. It sounds like Bibi at least did not consider it finished at the time that discussion dropped off.

I wouldn't have initially thought it to be very difficult to update, but those discussions would make me a bit wary to even try.

I think I'll take a peek at the 5.0 code and the 6.0 work out of curiosity, but I doubt I can commit enough time to really get anywhere.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
I have a 2006 install just for Mercury and it runs fine.
What would you gain by running it in 2016 ?
Project Mercury 5 has primitive graphics, the low res 2D panel is 4:3 so it only occupies the middle of modern HD displays, etc, etc.

Anyway, I'd say just redo the entire thing from scratch. Probably as a group effort.
There's not much to to on Mercury missions, so we would need some nice pad, carrier and helicopter meshes. Lot's of work there, besides programing.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
There's not much to to on Mercury missions, so we would need some nice pad, carrier and helicopter meshes. Lot's of work there, besides programing.

I think with things like Multistage2015 and Spacecraft4, coding can be at a minimal.