Project project sorpendarin- redesigned

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't start meshing. First select a location where your base will be - think that out. You don't want the base to be in water, right? ;)

Then open up Orbiter Base Maker, tell it where to create the base, download the tiles in that area and start placing the runways and other objects already available to you. That way you'll get a better feel for the area and for base design.

Only when you have your base mapped out should you start meshing.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think you are going to be disappointed when you try to make a galaxy in orbiter because Orbiter just isn't built like that.

He's spot on about that. If you checked out the link I posted for you earlier in this thread, you can see it might be possible to do a galaxy sim. The real issue is that Orbiter, like most other applications, uses variables to store data, like writing a number down on a piece of paper for later use. These have limits to how large numbers they are holding can be. If you try to do an accurate galaxy sim, the distances, velocities, & scales involved will be too large for the variables to handle. It just wont work.

Last edited:

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
Why not try creating just one ship first?

i will actuly create a base first,then a ship- then more ships- then a star system- then the intergalactic sorpendarin:)

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Don't start meshing. First select a location where your base will be - think that out. You don't want the base to be in water, right? ;)

Then open up Orbiter Base Maker, tell it where to create the base, download the tiles in that area and start placing the runways and other objects already available to you. That way you'll get a better feel for the area and for base design.

Only when you have your base mapped out should you start meshing.

thanks alot Rising Fury!! :):)

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 PM ----------

Sorpenderin, Rising-Fury is spot on. If you look at something like WHAP's Wideawake international or Loru's Carl Sagan Space Center they took a couple of months to design and build.

Your project list is much, much larger than that. A cursory look, without any actual planning, suggests at least 5 years to do a subset of what you want and I think you are going to be disappointed when you try to make a galaxy in orbiter because Orbiter just isn't built like that.

i have a new idea for sorpendarin intergalactic that i think (unlike all my preivius varients) will work.

first you start out in the sorpendarin in earth orbit. you fly out across the solar system, towards the stars. then you open the sorpendarin mfd, and turn on the fuision ramjet. a loadscreen will apear, showing youre crew entering suspended animation. the next thing you see is youre ship surrounded by stars,wich are accully vessels wich are created in front of you and deleted once you pass them. you open the sorpendarin mfd and see more stars moving accross the mfd. if you click on one of them it will show you how many planets it has. if you click enter the scenerio will reaload again
and you will be entering that system. the same thing for galaxys

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You should produce prototypes of your ideas, instead of just producing ideas. Start actually making stuff.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
i just got orbiter base maker today- its a great addon and i made a few prototype sorpendarin bases on it. i added more landing pads- runways- and many giant towers to cape canaveral. i also edited Habana and added sorpendarin bases to the moon and mars. :):) will post screenshots of my bases as soon as possible :):)
never mind:(:(

Last edited:

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
just wondering, how do you post an addon to Orbiter Hanger? im not quite at that stage, but i would like to know how, so i can get an idea of how hard this is going to be. ive changed my mind about my original base, since it requires me to make a new 3d model, and that will take too long. i will realease that base at some point- but ill just do a simple one for now because i feel like everyones going to kill me if i dont realease something

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
just wondering, how do you post an addon to Orbiter Hanger?

You upload it. Vash will need to approve it which can take a day or two.

since it requires me to make a new 3d model, and that will take too long. i will realease that base at some point- but ill just do a simple one for now because i feel like everyones going to kill me if i dont realease something

Not at all. Look at things like UCGO which has taken ages to deliver and is still in BETA. You are better off picking ONE aspect of your very large project, such as the base, take time over designing the meshes, post a few screenshots for feedback and when it's done leave it for a couple of days, go back to it and see if anything else needs fixing - if not, upload it!

Addons are a choice, not a demand. Have fun with it and TAKE YOUR TIME.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
just wondering, how do you post an addon to Orbiter Hanger? im not quite at that stage, but i would like to know how, so i can get an idea of how hard this is going to be. ive changed my mind about my original base, since it requires me to make a new 3d model, and that will take too long. i will realease that base at some point- but ill just do a simple one for now because i feel like everyones going to kill me if i dont realease something

Well, noones going to kill you, so dont worry. If you want to develop any really nice addons though, I can guarantee youll need to know how to mesh. Try searching on Orbithangar for anim8or tutorials.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Don't feel pressured into releasing something quickly. If you think we're expecting you to do something fast, you got the wrong impression. We're only trying to steer you in the right direction, because some of us have spent years working on our projects and know how things go. At some point you have to move from the planning part to the building part and you can't just do everything at once.

Doing a few smaller things first is a good idea. It allows you to learn how to create and release addons.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Don't feel pressured into releasing something quickly. If you think we're expecting you to do something fast, you got the wrong impression. We're only trying to steer you in the right direction, because some of us have spent years working on our projects and know how things go. At some point you have to move from the planning part to the building part and you can't just do everything at once.

Doing a few smaller things first is a good idea. It allows you to learn how to create and release addons.

Dont rush things. An addon doesnt need to be super complex, but if you sink lots of effort into it, people usually will care.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
thanks. anyway, it seems somehow my best version of orbiter got deleted :thumbsdown::(:(:(:(:(. unfoutonly, my bases as well. i still have them on orbiter base maker, but i dont have the orbiter they were on.

---------- Post added at 08:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

does anyone like this thread? im not sure it should be in the addon development fourm.:facepalm::facepalm:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The thread is ok. It's in the right place.

As for the base... Reinstall Orbiter to where it was before, then make a change in OBM and load the base into Orbiter again and force the textures to re-render. There's a button for that. If you used only default meshes for your base, there won't be a problem and you won't lose any work.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Yo little man, don't get disheartened. I still can't believe you are only 9 and even thinking about modding for orbiter. I only ever made a space station out of toilet roll tubes when I was that age.

I remember when I was nine and I took up karate, I thought it would be easy and quick. I remember the instructor talking in the first session about how becoming good at karate would take years... Years! I was very sad about that because years seemed like really loooooong things when I was 9.
Anyway I stuck it out for a year, and although I didn't become a ninja, I was very proud of my blue belt!

The point is, some things are hard, but worth taking your time to do. If you really like orbiter and you really want to make addons, then do it. And if one day you make something you can share with us then great! But don't do it for us, do it for you. Enjoy it. There are lots of things you will need to learn, but the orbiter community is great for help, advice and encouragement.

And never worry about not releasing things for ages... I am one of the worst people on this forum for that! Ask anyone who likes bases lol... Ascension Ultra has been in the works for years, but still everyone here is helpful and excited for any dev work I and Face do.

Sorry this post got a bit long!

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yo little man, don't get disheartened. I still can't believe you are only 9 and even thinking about modding for orbiter. I only ever made a space station out of toilet roll tubes when I was that age.

I remember when I was nine and I took up karate, I thought it would be easy and quick. I remember the instructor talking in the first session about how becoming good at karate would take years... Years! I was very sad about that because years seemed like really loooooong things when I was 9.
Anyway I stuck it out for a year, and although I didn't become a ninja, I was very proud of my blue belt!

The point is, some things are hard, but worth taking your time to do. If you really like orbiter and you really want to make addons, then do it. And if one day you make something you can share with us then great! But don't do it for us, do it for you. Enjoy it. There are lots of things you will need to learn, but the orbiter community is great for help, advice and encouragement.

And never worry about not releasing things for ages... I am one of the worst people on this forum for that! Ask anyone who likes bases lol... Ascension Ultra has been in the works for years, but still everyone here is helpful and excited for any dev work I and Face do.

Sorry this post got a bit long!

Yea, our little man can use some encouragement. Just remember Sorpenderin, patience is a virtue when developing Orbiter addons. Lots of people today wouldnt have the patience to hang in all through an orbiter project, but the effort you put into it is repaid at the end.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
OVERVIEW of PROJECT

the sorpendarin base is to contain a fuision ramjet at the center and several other service stations around it. this first addon is set in the year 2092. there is an edited cape canaveral as well.
but right now no development has been made. this part will be called sorpendarin part one.

there will be a series of ships, space junk, and UFOs that will add to the experiance. they will be included in part 2.

finaly, there will be a star system realeased, FULL OF GALAXYS!!!!!!. there will also be planets, but these, instead of having planet meshes, will have mmeshes that look like universes. :):) eventuly i will make the actual sorpendarin. the sorpendarin hopefully will create a far greater orbiter experience.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OVERVIEW of PROJECT

the sorpendarin base is to contain a fuision ramjet at the center and several other service stations around it. this first addon is set in the year 2092. there is an edited cape canaveral as well.
but right now no development has been made. this part will be called sorpendarin part one.

there will be a series of ships, space junk, and UFOs that will add to the experiance. they will be included in part 2.

finaly, there will be a star system realeased, FULL OF GALAXYS!!!!!!. there will also be planets, but these, instead of having planet meshes, will have mmeshes that look like universes. :):) eventuly i will make the actual sorpendarin. the sorpendarin hopefully will create a far greater orbiter experience.

That sounds good, but research usually improves the end product by a lot. Maybe take a look through this article & let us know what you think

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_rocket"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_rocket[/ame]

Im not too familiar with fusion propulsion, but if youre designing craft in the interplanetary category maybe you could try doing an updated version of the bussard ramjet from Microsoft space simulator

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23786798@N03/2265431797/

I would really like that :thumbup:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Why does the base have a fusion ramjet?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why does the base have a fusion ramjet?

Not sure, but I think its just a context error (ie the ship is so big it acts as a sort of base). Just to be clear though, no amount of effort you expend will ever be able to move a planet in orbiter; the sim just isnt built like that. What you could do however, is create a mesh of some run of the mill asteroid, place it in the sim as a vessel, fly the ramjet to it on its first flight & dock the two together. That way you could begin "hollowing out" your asteroid in your virtual cockpit mesh, while flying your base around the solar system. That could have a lot of potential as an addon IMHO.

Sorpenderin

Reaction score
What you could do however, is create a mesh of some run of the mill asteroid, place it in the sim as a vessel, fly the ramjet to it on its first flight & dock the two together. That way you could begin "hollowing out" your asteroid in your virtual cockpit mesh, while flying your base around the solar system. That could have a lot of potential as an addon IMHO.

great idea! i will defintly use that concept.:thumbup: however, my first addon will just be a base. is there any addon sort of like orbiter base maker exept for ships?

---------- Post added at 01:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

That sounds good, but research usually improves the end product by a lot. Maybe take a look through this article & let us know what you think

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_rocket

Im not too familiar with fusion propulsion, but if youre designing craft in the interplanetary category maybe you could try doing an updated version of the bussard ramjet from Microsoft space simulator

http://www.flickr.com/photos/23786798@N03/2265431797/

I would really like that :thumbup:

thanks for all the links :thumbup: :thumbup: i remember trying to get microsoft space simulator once, but it dident work. anyhow, im glad some people are still posting stuff to this thread, even though theres absolutly no development at all:thankyou: i will take a look at the fuision propulsion article as soon as possible. :)