News QM -1 World Largest Solid motor - test firing March 11

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Is anything different between these segments and the SRB segments (diameter, etc), or is it just the fact that there are 5 vs 4 segments?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Is anything different between these segments and the SRB segments (diameter, etc), or is it just the fact that there are 5 vs 4 segments?

No change in the casing diameter, but the solid fuel "paste" ingredients and the shape of the distribution of the "paste" are different.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Nice to see some actual SLS hardware getting tested!

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I can't imagine trying to hold that thing in place with all of that power. I suspect some HUGE bolts.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Imagine the epic Darwin award you could win with a sixpack of beer, a roll of duct tape, and one of these suckers.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't imagine trying to hold that thing in place with all of that power. I suspect some HUGE bolts.

Likely not larger bolts than the eight already used for bolting the SRBs on the Space Shuttle pad. These bolts are already designed for keeping the SRBs on the pad until both SRBs produce full thrust.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Likely not larger bolts than the eight already used for bolting the SRBs on the Space Shuttle pad. These bolts are already designed for keeping the SRBs on the pad until both SRBs produce full thrust.
Actually not. They blow the bolts before SRB ignition.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Are the bolts really destroyed before SRB ignition? I thought the command is issued shortly after ignition command to the SRBs. A misfire of one SRB would otherwise be a pretty strong disaster.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Likely not larger bolts than the eight already used for bolting the SRBs on the Space Shuttle pad.
Due to the fact that the test-fire will be done horizontally, you could even fix the SRBs to (flat) ground using velcro ;)
They are best when "shear" force is applied to them[1]...

As long as the thrust keeps being mostly horizontal during the test :thumbup:

[1] http://www.oandplibrary.org/poi/pdf/1982_02_093.pdf

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Are the bolts really destroyed before SRB ignition? I thought the command is issued shortly after ignition command to the SRBs. A misfire of one SRB would otherwise be a pretty strong disaster.

A misfire would be a scary event even if everything was still bolted to the pad. What would they do, just sit for two minutes and let it burn out on the pad next to the ET? Yikes! Besides, I believe the bolts were designed to break under SRB thrusting in case the charges did not blow.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
A misfire would be a scary event even if everything was still bolted to the pad. What would they do, just sit for two minutes and let it burn out on the pad next to the ET? Yikes! Besides, I believe the bolts were designed to break under SRB thrusting in case the charges did not blow.

As far as I know, the best thing is to open the other side, so that the preassure drops.
Does anyone know if they have this "blow the top" mechanism as a safety net?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
As far as I know, the best thing is to open the other side, so that the preassure drops.
No thrust termination features on the SRBs. The reason is/was that would have put huge amount of stress on the orbiter, enough to the point of complete failure.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

No, they can just open the sides of the SRBs by linear shaped charges in the equipment tunnel of the SRBs.

Would be deadly. But there is really no real check that the SRB ignition worked, they just check if the two electric igniters of the SRB are reacting as expected to low voltage from T-16 seconds on.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
No, they can just open the sides of the SRBs by linear shaped charges in the equipment tunnel of the SRBs.

Would be deadly. But there is really no real check that the SRB ignition worked, they just check if the two electric igniters of the SRB are reacting as expected to low voltage from T-16 seconds on.

The SRBs did have a range safety system, but that was absolutely not for use in an intact survivable on-pad abort scenario - it was for detonating the SRBs in a Challenger-style accident if they strayed off course.

If the SRBs lit (one or the other or both) you were going to go somewhere. Hopefully the fiery end should point toward the ground if you want to go to space. If it starts pointing to space you are having a bad problem and will not go to space today.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com

Well... actually they blow the PICs in the bolts after the PICs in the SRB ignitors...
http://history.nasa.gov/rogersrep/v3appn.htm said:
The SSME and SRB ignition signals are a result of software flags which are generated in the redundant set launch sequencer (RSLS). For the SSME's, the flag is interpreted by the SSME software operation program (SOP) and sent to the engine interface unit (EIU). For the SRB's, the flag is interpreted by the master events controller (MEC) SOP and sent to the SRB ignition pyrotechnics. All of the times are referenced from an expected time of lift-off (GMTLO, V99W8801C) that was sent from the launch processing system to the RSLS. The RSLS subtracts the GMTLO value from its current value for GMT; this difference is the high-frequency executive read of GMT completed 54 milliseconds prior to the start of the 40-millisecond cycle in which the RSLS is running and checks to see if the difference is less than 6.600 seconds. On the first pass that the criteria is satisfied, the software flag for main engine 3 start command is set. The calculation of this difference is not made again, and the last value is held in the telemetry stream (V90W8380C). The timing is such that 6.600 seconds after this time, the software flag is set by the RSLS for the MEC SOP to fire the SRB ignition pyrotechnics.

Forty milliseconds after setting the software flag for SRB ignition, the RSLS logic sets a flag for T-0 umbilical-release fire commands. The MEC SOP translates this into a command to the MEC for T-0 umbilical release. The MEC splits this input into T-0 umbilical release and holddown-bolt pyrotechnics fire commands which leave the MEC 40 milliseconds after the SRB ignition pyrotechnic fire commands had left. Following the 40-millisecond cycle, the RSLS sets a flag to reset the MEC and then terminates operation.

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Or like I said, duct tape...last words, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Here's an episode of Mythbusters waiting to be done :rofl: