News QM -1 World Largest Solid motor - test firing March 11

dman

Reaction score
I can't imagine trying to hold that thing in place with all of that power. I suspect some HUGE bolts.

Dont laugh......

It actually happened to one of the early rocket programs

In 1952 Viking no 8 broke lose during a test firing and rose to 4 mles before
the engine was cutoff...............

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but the title's misleading... the largest solid rocket motor in the world was fired in the '60s: the Aerojet AJ-260-2, a 21.6 foot diameter, 60 foot long, 4 MILLION POUND thrust engine designed to replace the Saturn 1B first stage.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'd fire one equipped with an accelerometer straight vertically. Just for the fun of seeing how much Gs it can take before breaking apart.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I heard some rumors that they will be changing the nose cone to be more inclined with the main rocket body

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I heard some rumors that they will be changing the nose cone to be more inclined with the main rocket body

Hardly surprising, since a more aerodynamic nose cone could result in a few dozen kg more payload at the same nose cone mass.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Well... actually they blow the PICs in the bolts after the PICs in the SRB ignitors...

---------- Post added at 12:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 AM ----------

Here's an episode of Mythbusters waiting to be done :rofl:

Try to find Smash Lab's Runaway Trailer episode (Season 1, episode 9), where they try to use various solid rocket mechanisms for wheeled vehicle emergency brakes, which is all hilarious until they almost burn themselves up with a misfire (not as funny but still funny because no one gets hurt). A healthy reminder that rocketry is very dangerous, even under the guidance of highly experienced and skilled experts and all precautions taken.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Try to find Smash Lab's Runaway Trailer episode (Season 1, episode 9), where they try to use various solid rocket mechanisms for wheeled vehicle emergency brakes, which is all hilarious until they almost burn themselves up with a misfire (not as funny but still funny because no one gets hurt). A healthy reminder that rocketry is very dangerous, even under the guidance of highly experienced and skilled experts and all precautions taken.

Just because someone gets hurt doesn't mean it isn't still funny.

MTV had an entire TV series based on the premise in fact.

iu

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Why don't we have a timer for it?
Because the person who usually puts timers in different places is occupied with his work. :p

[highlight]T[eventtimer]2015-3-11 15:30;%c%%hh%:%mm%:%ss%[/eventtimer][/highlight]

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Just because someone gets hurt doesn't mean it isn't still funny.

MTV had an entire TV series based on the premise in fact.

iu

I totally agree, but...well, its a pretty big rocket engine,
SmashLab01.jpg

If you get hurt by that, it's sorta all or nothin' :lol: