Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Our first scenario convention had the following evil combination for playing the first stage of the scenario on the surface of a large asteroid mine:

- parallel secret movement
- low gravity
- vacuum

We allowed quite large units, around batallion size. After this first stage, only a few lances had been left. Most died by friendly collisions causing depressurizations because players of the team did not talk with each other and simply optimized their movement egoistically. Was important for teaching, but also very frustrating for the teams.

In the end the winning team won the scenario by a single Phoenixhawk without legs. While all other teams fought a major melee on one of the lower levels of the mine, they managed to drop the Phoenixhawk on a huge minecart and let it travel completely ignored through the mine.

Was a very important convention for us the PhoenixCon I in 2000... we learned a lot about designing scenarios and eventually reduced the scenario to a short event on the saturday for the interested players and offered more variety on our convention.

If you are around in Germany and want get some battletech (or good meals), the PhoenixCon XVII is scheduled for the 26th October (A thursday) to the 29th. We host the German Battletech Championship again. :)

http://con.phoenixguard.de/

That sounds great! Unfortunately I don't know when I'll get to Germany, but when I do someday I'll try to fit in at least a visit to a BTech con. Been a long time since I actually played, but I loved the immersion in that universe.

I always wanted to do some kind of double-blind rules for max realism, but it requires a referee and seems to be slow and clunky.

I'm also curious about the depressurization and collision thing, I'm guessing they were custom rules for the scenario?

When I did the War of the Worlds I used the standard low-G rules, but I did have to make up a damage table for a 3-legged Mech and weapons tables for the Martian heat ray and missile weapons.

In the novel, Wells described a sort of chemical weapon delivered by a large rocket/recoilless rifle kind of device carried by the Tripods in a cylindrical launcher. The poison gas was used on British artillery crews. For BattleTech I expanded it a bit; the gas would work on infantry and unsealed ground vehicles, but for BattleMechs there were different varieties of projectiles available to the Martian players, such as a high explosive warhead, smoke shell, etc. I even built the table for a small tactical nuke warhead which would wipe out anything within a few hexes, but I don't recall it ever being used.

The Heat Ray was very powerful at close range, but the effectiveness dropped off with range to balance the scenario. I purposely didn't tell the human players what its capabilities were, so they got a dramatic shock when they came face to face with a Tripod and their armor was melted off their Mechs lol. In the Noctis Labyrithus this made the tactical problem difficult because the rock formations prevented the humans from keeping the ranges long and forced them to rush the Martians and try to overwhelm them with fire at close range.

The first battle took place in Manassas, Virginia, near the site of the two American Civil War battles. The Martian reentry pod landed and as the local Virginia militia Mechs, under command of ComStar, showed up the "Battle of 3rd Manassas" ensued.

The second battle took place on Mars during the ComStar counter invasion. The Martian base was underground in the Vallis Marineras and the approach avenue was through the Labyrinth of Night. The Martians had a large anti-satellite cannon mounted atop one of the mesas (it looks like the ion cannon in Empire Strikes Back) which prevented the DropShips from landing with the main invasion force, so a company of Pathfinders in medium and heavy Mechs made an orbital drop and were sent into the Labyrinth to destroy the cannon and secure the landing zone.

(ETA: The anti-satellite cannon was a giant heat ray which would vaporize any Mech which tried to jump up onto the tops of the Mesas, forcing them to stay down in the canyons.)

Both battles were fought on tabletop with minis and no hex maps. Had a great time that convention. My little homemade Tripods were popular. I still have them in a case somewhere.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

iu

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That sounds great! Unfortunately I don't know when I'll get to Germany, but when I do someday I'll try to fit in at least a visit to a BTech con. Been a long time since I actually played, but I loved the immersion in that universe.

Yeah, the many old novels made it a very rich universe and especially with the third generation roleplaying game rules for it, it finally became possible to really do "specs ops" RPG in BT.

I always wanted to do some kind of double-blind rules for max realism, but it requires a referee and seems to be slow and clunky.

We offer a double-blind game on the convention exactly because of that reason - with referee. :lol: The best chance to do this.

I'm also curious about the depressurization and collision thing, I'm guessing they were custom rules for the scenario?

Partly. The vacuum rules are rather standard AFAIR, but the initiative/movement rules had been custom. Instead of rolling for initiative and then moving your Mechs in the standard sequence, you recorded your desired target hex on a second sheet. Then all mechs are moved and when two or more Mechs tried to occupy the same hex, we performed an "unintentional ramming". Not sure how we resolved the collisions there in terms of deciding which unit is the ramming one. In vacuum, every point of damage in a location gives you a chance of depressurizing this location, similar to flooding in water. Depressurizing the center torso = Mech is dead, pilot alive and very very bored.

When I did the War of the Worlds I used the standard low-G rules, but I did have to make up a damage table for a 3-legged Mech and weapons tables for the Martian heat ray and missile weapons.

Now there are canon tripod Mechs in Battletech, weighting over 100 tons... Call me conservative there, but I think it goes to far.

In the novel, Wells described a sort of chemical weapon delivered by a large rocket/recoilless rifle kind of device carried by the Tripods in a cylindrical launcher. The poison gas was used on British artillery crews. For BattleTech I expanded it a bit; the gas would work on infantry and unsealed ground vehicles, but for BattleMechs there were different varieties of projectiles available to the Martian players, such as a high explosive warhead, smoke shell, etc. I even built the table for a small tactical nuke warhead which would wipe out anything within a few hexes, but I don't recall it ever being used.

The Heat Ray was very powerful at close range, but the effectiveness dropped off with range to balance the scenario. I purposely didn't tell the human players what its capabilities were, so they got a dramatic shock when they came face to face with a Tripod and their armor was melted off their Mechs lol. In the Noctis Labyrithus this made the tactical problem difficult because the rock formations prevented the humans from keeping the ranges long and forced them to rush the Martians and try to overwhelm them with fire at close range.

The first battle took place in Manassas, Virginia, near the site of the two American Civil War battles. The Martian reentry pod landed and as the local Virginia militia Mechs, under command of ComStar, showed up the "Battle of 3rd Manassas" ensued.

The second battle took place on Mars during the ComStar counter invasion. The Martian base was underground in the Vallis Marineras and the approach avenue was through the Labyrinth of Night. The Martians had a large anti-satellite cannon mounted atop one of the mesas (it looks like the ion cannon in Empire Strikes Back) which prevented the DropShips from landing with the main invasion force, so a company of Pathfinders made an orbital drop and were sent into the Labyrinth to destroy the cannon and secure the landing zone.

Sounds like great fun :)

Both battles were fought on tabletop with minis and no hex maps. Had a great time that convention. My little homemade Tripods were popular. I still have them in a case somewhere.

For the PhoenixCon X, we produced our own Mech with miniature we gave to our guests the PC-X Sutur. Because of our chapter history and most famous exploits, it had to be a quad (We caused same major epicness in a scenario by lowering the hull of a quad and moving into a tunnel). Was a GREAT fun and the Mini really looked epic. Turned out so popular we even got a order from the USA of some people asking us if we could ship them some of the Mechs. And thanks to some shameless diplomacy, our custom design was even fully recognized for official fights in the various BT organisations in Germany. :)

If you follow the link to the convention page and then browse to the Downloads, you can find an english language "TRO"-page for it.

I can say some words about offering an english language version of our convention page (And the answer will likely be: "Do it yourself and I'll include it")

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
You can tell the American geeks easily these days - they know that there is an eclipse tomorrow, and some (like me) have spent some time making a Python script that records voltage data on their RPi from a photocell "observatory" set up in the kitchen window, even though they may live where maximum occlusion doesn't exceed 70%.

The welder's face shields are another dead give-away.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I've got some glasses. And a rich dude in the county bought enough for every student in the schools system (and then some).

But yes, the welders... During the partial eclipse back in the '80s I looked like a cyberpunk mad scientist with my welders goggles.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Managed to catch the light level signal of the eclipse with my cheapo 10-bit ADC despite high overcast. Partial eclipse started at 17:28 UTC, reached maximum at 18:47 UTC, and ended at 20:00 UTC, 64% maximum coverage.

Attachments

• Eclipse Data.png
    Eclipse Data.png
    33 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Yay, did driver side motor mount in my Civic and didn't snap any bolts! Transmission mount is tomorrow's battle. :dry:

Also cleaned the mouse nest (actually contained some desiccated mouse corpses) out of my wife's Corolla's air box, changed the filter and cleaned the MAF sensor. Amazing what proper air flow will do to engine performance.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Transmission and motor mounts are done. Not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I had long attributed the clunking during the shift between first and second gears to the notoriously hard-shifting Honda transmission, but it was actually my transmission mount bottoming out as the marshmallow fluff bushings were all worn out. Changed out tie rod ends, got new tires and an alignment, and flushed the transmission. Thing drives like a dream now. 325,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and both are in great shape.

I'm really going to be sad when I have to send this one to the junkyard.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
That'll be a loooooooong way down the road, TC. The chassis may rust out before the transmission dies.

This car gets almost nothing but highway miles, 78 mph at 3000 rpm. Engine and transmission have had a nice life with me. The old transmission fluid was clean and clear and no metal on the plug. Phenomenal. It has some rust bubbles on the hood that I'm actually thinking about bringing to a body shop to get fixed since everything under it looks pretty solid.

The only thing that I wonder about with regards to reliability would be ancillary stuff, like the alternator or starter dying out of old age. Not that that stuff would be hard or expensive to fix, but when the wife and I both need cars to get to work tomorrow that can be problematic. I'm thinking of purchasing a new car pretty soon, but I think I'm going to keep the Civic and her 2004 Corolla as our daily drivers and just use the new car as the weekend trip / long haul / emergency ride until the Civic or Corolla dies hard (whenever that will be).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, all this plastic inside will age with UV radiation.

Plastic is also the first real damage on my new car after three years and mere 39000 km. The loudness knob on my radio broke. What does that mean, "it only goes to 10"?

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Also, all this plastic inside will age with UV radiation.

We're well past the break-in period. The cloth trim on the inside of the car has long since dry-rotted and I pulled the last tattered remnants of it down a few years ago, so I have a reddish-yellow contact cement interior. One of the trim pieces over the mirror lever broke when I had to take apart the door to repair the lock tumbler. And I'm pretty sure the driver's seat only really fits me comfortably now, and there is a permanent heel mark on the floor where my right foot rests.

I was waxing nostalgic with a friend a few weeks ago about the day I bought this car. I bought it at a small used car lot with a very good local reputation. I walked in, said I was looking for a very basic commuter car, and the guy just pointed at this car and said it just came off the truck, ex-lease, base model with no power windows, locks, or ABS. Road tested and paperwork signed in about 30 minutes. I'm positive my wife spends longer picking out clothes in the store than I did buying this car.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We're well past the break-in period. The cloth trim on the inside of the car has long since dry-rotted and I pulled the last tattered remnants of it down a few years ago, so I have a reddish-yellow contact cement interior. One of the trim pieces over the mirror lever broke when I had to take apart the door to repair the lock tumbler. And I'm pretty sure the driver's seat only really fits me comfortably now, and there is a permanent heel mark on the floor where my right foot rests.

Why not improving this and make the car a bit more unique... like putting a thin wooden veneer where the cloth trim was? Or a space image on the ceiling? Just stay away from plush, its evil. :lol:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Why not improving this and make the car a bit more unique... like putting a thin wooden veneer where the cloth trim was? Or a space image on the ceiling? Just stay away from plush, its evil. :lol:

I have a friend who is an artist; I have seriously considered just presenting my car to her as a canvas for her talents. She does some wonderful image-making with quilted and embroidered textiles as well as paint. That would pretty much mean that my car would probably end up as an exhibit in an art show instead of going to the junk yard. I think I'd be afraid of driving the car after she got finished with it - it would be like having the Mona Lisa in the back seat and you terrified of getting in an accident and destroying it.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
it would be like having the Mona Lisa in the back seat and you terrified of getting in an accident and destroying it.

I think that is really what makes art great: If its so vulnerable, that it could be lost and thus, is really a part of your life.

I had also seen a nice black Volkswagen Corrado with a really nice airbrushing on the hood - too beautiful to hide it in the garage and too fast to drive slow.

Looked similar to this one:

Corrado_VR6_Storm.JPG

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
My Civic is of an age where I am not too concerned about aesthetics. I'm more concerned about structural integrity and rust control. Two years ago a co-worker inadvertently scrubbed my driver side door with her car's fender pulling into the adjacent parking spot. She was horrified, offered to call her insurance for a claim, etc., but I just walked out, licked my finger and rubbed the mark and saw that it just chewed up the clear coat a bit, and told her not to worry about it. There is a certain freedom and relaxation that comes from driving such a car.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My Civic is of an age where I am not too concerned about aesthetics. I'm more concerned about structural integrity and rust control. Two years ago a co-worker inadvertently scrubbed my driver side door with her car's fender pulling into the adjacent parking spot. She was horrified, offered to call her insurance for a claim, etc., but I just walked out, licked my finger and rubbed the mark and saw that it just chewed up the clear coat a bit, and told her not to worry about it. There is a certain freedom and relaxation that comes from driving such a car.

Yeah... I remember that with my first car... had to decide between hitting two girls or a road sign. Afterwards, all my car needed was some polishing to hide the scratch in the gray metallic paint...

Especially those painted bumpers are evil... really expensive to fix if you damage them.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Two weeks without the wife at home and there is now nothing in the refrigerator except beer and mustard.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sad, but understandable...
(should be just beer and a tomatoe)