Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Taking blood samples from my autistic son: Difficult, requires a lot of patience and efficiency, but can be practiced under non-critical circumstances to get him used to it and get better at doing it.

Taking blood samples from my other son that has an actual phobia of needles: Makes me consider taking JiuJitsu classes, because I'm not quite sure how we're going to manage it in another 2 years. Life is complicated... 🤦‍♂️

Sounds still more fun than 24h urine sampling.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
There is still a lot of rather outdated info on Google Earth at Kennedy Space Center (and I guess likely elsewhere around the globe). While using street view in vicinity of the VAB, one can discover an orbiter in high bay 4 (no OMS bods?) and a crawler in high bay 3 😎 And I guess the mobile service structure in the background is from the Constellation-era? 🤔 (not seen on the image)

Anyway, virtually touring the Cape is fun in any case.

image_2024-06-11_095924037.png

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Taking blood samples from my autistic son: Difficult, requires a lot of patience and efficiency, but can be practiced under non-critical circumstances to get him used to it and get better at doing it.

Taking blood samples from my other son that has an actual phobia of needles: Makes me consider taking JiuJitsu classes, because I'm not quite sure how we're going to manage it in another 2 years. Life is complicated... 🤦‍♂️

I have a phobia of general anesthesia, and had to be overpowered for one surgery at age 13, balked and had to come back pre-sedated with a pill for another in adulthood, and was in full freakout mode until I was under for a third. Strep tests weren't great either: I grabbed the sampling swab and yanked it out of my mouth once in my early teens. I'm better about it now, but still sit on my hands to prevent similar incidents.

I was diagnosed with autism this spring, and both of my parents show signs of it. My dad is generally rock solid when it comes to anxiety, my mom is even more of a nervous wreck than I am. I got all the mental strengths and weaknesses of both parents (Good verbal skills from mom, a good STEM brain from dad, mom's anxiety, and severe ADHD that almost certainly came from dad). My brother got less of the intellect (though he certainly ain't dumb), but got the stability of both parents (dad's emotional stability and, despite also having ADHD, mom's organizational skills).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
and had to be overpowered for one surgery at age 13
I would be interested in knowing how you dealt with that experience afterwards. Did it make future events even more traumatic, and did it make you resent your parents, or could you file the whole thing under "needed to be done" and move on?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I would be interested in knowing how you dealt with that experience afterwards. Did it make future events even more traumatic, and did it make you resent your parents, or could you file the whole thing under "needed to be done" and move on?

Pretty much the latter. I'm not sure I'd word it just like that, but I'm not sure quite how I'd word it at all. Insofar as there was any resentment towards my parents, it was more for scheduling the surgery in the first place. It's the concept of general anesthesia itself that hits something primal in my brain, not any experience I've had any time I've been under. I also had really bad emetophobia in childhood, and I knew that general anesthesia had caused my brother to get sick while recovering. I was basically fine in the first place once I was awake again and in the second once I was beyond the nausea window, but even though I've been through it and survived, the concept of being knocked out cold like that, so quickly from full consciousness, just feels like death to me, and that's repeated every time I've been under. There's been no trauma afterward from any of my surgeries, just a visceral terror beforehand.