Humor Random Comments Thread

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
:lol:

---------- Post added at 10:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:27 PM ----------

So I recently read that the SyFy channel has decided not to renew The Expanse for a fourth season. No doubt because they are idiots of one kind or another, and need to spend more money on the next Sharknado atrocity.

Here's hoping somebody with more sense picks it up and keeps it alive. Losing Firefly and Expanse in one lifetime may just be too much to bear...:(

There's a strong movement online for Netflix or Amazon to pick it up, under the hashtag #savetheexpanse.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I recently read that the SyFy channel has decided not to renew The Expanse for a fourth season.

I'm not too surprised by that. Basically, they did the Arc of the first two books (I presume... Haven't seen the third season yet, and can't ask to check if it ends where the second book ends due to spoilers). The books coming after have serious shifts in thematics, and do not take place in the solar system anymore. The stories generally become smaller (and the third one is kind of weird... I didn't like it too much) and less sprawling. It feels like a quite different thing, really.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think SyFy started going downhill when they changed their name/logo. SyFy (?) really?
Science Fiction! Sci-Fi.

They dumbed down science fiction and this is what we get.

No more Stargate, although they really were starting to run out of enemies. Heros are only as good as the enemy to be overcome.
One Sharknado after another... [SARCASM] There's some high quality stuff there[/SARCASM]
WTH did they do to The Magicians? Similarities with the book nearly ends with the characters names and some locations.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We had a massive Tornado today, with one bad injury and according to the vast video evidence, a lot of people who had been really lucky. (Its really rare that somebody gets injured by a Tornado here.)

Despite the lot of dust - the worst damage observed was EF1 or less. Still dangerous enough.

Last edited:

steph

Reaction score
There's a dash cam video on social media with a truck, emerging from some woodlands directly in front of the tornado. Ar that point, the truck just stops and doesn't back away,until it ends up engulfed in the outer circulation. The car doing the filming doesn't back out either. I guess some people just feeeze in such situations.

Yep, quite a lot of supercells lately. France had a strong-ish tornado a while ago as well. Not sure what warning system Germany has, apart from MeteoAlarm, which is pretty much useless for nowcasting these things, but it worked.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, if it was an EF0 tornado, the worst I've heard of happening to a car was when one came through my old town, lifted a car about half a meter into the air, blew out all the windows, and then dropped it back to the ground. Scared the ever living daylights out of the driver, but he got away with just a couple scratches.
Same tornado did rip some air conditioner units off the roof of some nearby warehouses and knocked over a fence, but that was the extent of the damage, as far as I can recall.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, if it was an EF0 tornado, the worst I've heard of happening to a car was when one came through my old town, lifted a car about half a meter into the air, blew out all the windows, and then dropped it back to the ground. Scared the ever living daylights out of the driver, but he got away with just a couple scratches.
Same tornado did rip some air conditioner units off the roof of some nearby warehouses and knocked over a fence, but that was the extent of the damage, as far as I can recall.

It must have had EF1 strength somewhere during its Z-shaped course. A few mobile homes had been moved around.

steph

Reaction score
Just saw some photos with the damage. Houses with missing shingles, none with the entire roof blown. That, and uprooted trees. Quite light damage, actually

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A weather station has confirmed wind speeds of at least 223 km/h, making this a EF3 tornado, according to Wikipedia - but the damages correspond better to EF2 now.

In the more suitable TORRO-scale for Europe, its rated T5 now.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
My old Honda is getting a rather Puckish sense of humor in its old age. I brought it in for inspection today after doing some repairs and generally giving it a good look over for an issues. The attendant did the inspection, OK'd it, and put a sticker on it, and pulled it out of the inspection bay. He got out with the car still running, door ajar, said everything was fine, and started commenting that it was looking great for a car with its mileage.

As I was talking with him, I glanced behind him and saw that my airbag light was on, definitely was not on when I rolled in. Drats....14 year old car, it *has* the sticker, should I raise the issue now? I decided to just get out of there, so I thanked him, jumped in the car (keeping myself between him and the light) and went home. Pulled the SRS code, good old 9-3, driver side seatbelt latch switch - a Honda thing with this generation. 2 minutes with a screwdriver and contact cleaner, all good. I wonder how many millions people have spent getting that light shut off at the dealership.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
My old Honda is getting a rather Puckish sense of humor in its old age. I brought it in for inspection today after doing some repairs and generally giving it a good look over for an issues. The attendant did the inspection, OK'd it, and put a sticker on it, and pulled it out of the inspection bay. He got out with the car still running, door ajar, said everything was fine, and started commenting that it was looking great for a car with its mileage.

As I was talking with him, I glanced behind him and saw that my airbag light was on, definitely was not on when I rolled in. Drats....14 year old car, it *has* the sticker, should I raise the issue now? I decided to just get out of there, so I thanked him, jumped in the car (keeping myself between him and the light) and went home. Pulled the SRS code, good old 9-3, driver side seatbelt latch switch - a Honda thing with this generation. 2 minutes with a screwdriver and contact cleaner, all good. I wonder how many millions people have spent getting that light shut off at the dealership.
:lol: Far too much, Thunder... Far too much.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Speaking of natural disasters, gotta love Hawaii. Golf, anyone?

iu

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ugh... I'm sure there are more disorienting things than a weekend right in the middle of a big refactoring, but I haven't happened across it yet... :idk:

I'm all like "Who am I? Where did I come from? Where do I go? What the hell did I do that for?"

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
restructuring code, so it does the same thing as before, but is more efficient / easier to understand / easier to maintain.
It's a bit like playing Jenga, but with code... :shifty:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What's a "refactoring"?

Software is often extended by simply adding new features and code there, often intentionally or unintentionally with some flaws and without changing the "blue print" of the software (The architecture") before changing this.

This causes a phenomena called "technical debt" - what you saved by working quick and dirty initially makes you pay interest in maintenance or bigger risks and costs for future changes. Or what you didn't know then still costs you more than you expected. But you got wiser and now know how to make it better and less costly.

Somebody here once explained this great with building a medieval castle (We Europeans can grok this). See this fine example there:

Burg-Eltz-011-b.jpg

Like those, there is never a real blue print or detailed specification. You add new turrets, flags, walls, etc around it as you need them, and the more you add this way, the bigger the risk that something will eventually collapse or catch fire. Like in the past, software development is also often done without fully understanding the consequences of the changes. The systems including users, hackers and politics are way too complex to predict everything for years in advance.

So, you refactor. In the castle, you tear down old structures and replace them by modern structures. Or you tear down old buildings to have room for a new one. When your enemies suddenly have cannons, you have to think about abandoning your castle or modernizing it as whole while defensive technology progresses (Like towards a star fortress).

In software, you remove old code that is no longer useful, unify code that does the same task, make interfaces follow newer standards etc. You check how requirements changed over time and what consequences that has now (eg, software was designed for 10 users, but now has to support 1000 users, and despite being so well designed that it ran fine even with 100 users, its now no longer fitting to the changed environment)

Refactoring is a paradox thing in practice. It is a VERY profitable thing in the long term (little risk, big gains), but something only few customers will pay. Quite contrary: One of my former customers actually wanted to make us pay damages to him for us not predicting 17 years in advance, how the requirements for the software changed.

EDIT: Another nice castle example is from my hometown:

Westseite_Schloss_Wolfsburg.jpg

The structure in the middle is the old keep, constructed in the 13th century. The surrounding structures had been added after the 16th centry, when the castle was converted into a palace over time.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
So, this happened yesterday:

a8XJXQb.jpg

It's an old PT-6A. Like, still uses glow plug igniters old. But, she's still able to be run, and is a great teaching tool.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So The Expanse has been saved by Amazon, which is great news.

Just saw the latest episode. I love that this show has managed to make high drama out of high-G maneuvers. Oh, if only Robert Heinlein and Jerry Pournelle were alive to see this!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Saved by amazon, huh? I guess that means I won't get it on Netflix past season 3... :(