Humor Random Comments Thread

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The most often used "productivity application" in smartphones is Solitaire.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Errrrr.... guys? I thought that these were tachyon jokes!

If you've been following the news, a recent experiment has recorded neutrinos traveling (apparently) faster than light. It's most likely a result of measurement error, but the media has been making a huge sensation out of it, so neutrino and tachyon jokes have been about the same thing recently.

Why are neutrinos not Catholic? Because they have no mass.

This is outdated. Neutrino oscillation has been observed to occur, and the fact that it occurs requires neutrinos to have a non-zero mass. Their mass is still tiny enough, though, that it has not been measured directly and is fairly uncertain.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
This is outdated. Neutrino oscillation has been observed to occur, and the fact that it occurs requires neutrinos to have a non-zero mass. Their mass is still tiny enough, though, that it has not been measured directly and is fairly uncertain.
But pretending that neutrinos do have no mass, can you explain the joke? I really don't get it...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Huh...?

Edit: Tachyons are hypothetical, neutrinos aren't. ;)

On the off chance that the recent findings at CERN aren't the result of measurement error, neutrinos would in fact be tachyons (at least in certain situations).

Edit2: I don't understand the joke, but even then neutrinos have mass...

At one time neutrinos were in fact thought to have no mass. Then came the solar neutrino problem and theories about neutrino oscillation, then came the actual observation of neutrino oscillation.

The joke is a pun between Catholic Mass and the physical meaning of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass"]mass[/ame].

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Only on Orbiter-Forum could someone not find a joke funny because it isn't scientifically accurate.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Man, I hate myself. You guys have just comprehensively trashed all the physics jokes that I know.

Now, all I have left is...
:hailprobe:
A Physicist is about to jump to jump off a building.
Don't try to convince him otherwise by saying "You've got potential."

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
A Higgs Boson walks into the church. The preist says "Your not welcome here." The Boson Replies "Without me you can't have mass"

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Damn, all the good science jokes argon.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
You know your bookcase is full, when you take a book out and the hole disappears! :uhh:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Martin Winterkorn, CEO of Volkswagen, inspecting a Hyundai - and not being amused about the lever that permits adapting the steering wheel ("Why can he do it?" "We can't, BMW can't, but they do.")