Humor Random Comments Thread

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I made my first earth to moon then back again flight today :) but the XR2 exploded on re-entry :(

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ed-Morana1.jpg

http://spaceweather.com/

ISS on Tycho. Just awesome. The photographer has some pictures of previous lunar transits at earlier stages of ISS construction.

Whoa that looks cool. Any information on how fast the ISS' shadow moves across the Moon?

I made my first earth to moon then back again flight to day :) but the XR2 exploded on re-entry :(

I'm also still trying to make a reentry from moon with XR-2. I'm curently making it with aerobraking several times. But that takes some hours, so I'm trying to get it down directly.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Whoa that looks cool. Any information on how fast the ISS' shadow moves across the Moon?

It's not ISS' shadow, is it? I thought it was ISS itself, with the moon in the background.

I don't think ISS' shadow would be that sharp at the distance of the moon.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbra. The umbra of the moon reaches just to the surface of the earth at a solar eclipse (and sometimes is doesn't). The umbra of MUCH smaller objects (like the ISS) doesn't reach such large distances by far.

What you see in the picture is the ISS being in between the camera and the moon. So you see ISS itself, and not its shadow. It may look like ISS is close to the moon, but, of course, the ISS is much closer to the camera than the moon. This optical illusion is partially a result of the fact that space is a vacuum, and hence far-away objects are not blurred by haze.

Very spectacular picture btw.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
As cjp says, you are seeing the silhouette of the ISS, not its shadow.

As for the transit time, it can be calculated accurately if you know all the parameters but some quick estimates indicate approx 0.5s depending on the position of the moon and the ISS at the time (less if it doesn't cross the full disk).

Do a Google image search for more. One of my favourites:
http://www.astrosurf.com/legault/iss_atlantis_transit.html
iss_shuttle_crop.jpg

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
As cjp says, you are seeing the silhouette of the ISS, not its shadow.

As for the transit time, it can be calculated accurately if you know all the parameters but some quick estimates indicate approx 0.5s depending on the position of the moon and the ISS at the time (less if it doesn't cross the full disk).

Do a Google image search for more. One of my favourites:
http://www.astrosurf.com/legault/iss_atlantis_transit.html
iss_shuttle_crop.jpg
Are you sure? I'm pretty sure the ISS is casting a shadow on the sun right there. ;)
I'm just kidding of course. Had to say it. :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Damn... it already snows here... I thought this will start this afternoon

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why "damn"? It already melts here, and this is really "damn".

Because I wanted to do the weekend shopping and still have summer tires on my car... which is illegal in Germany since some years when you have such weather.

In my younger years, when it was still legal to use summer tires in the winter as long as you don't cause a crash, I was able to get to all places by only reducing the speed to 40 km/h... which was only slightly lower as the speed of cars with winter tires, unless the driver intended to get first aid from me....

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Damn... it already snows here... I thought this will start this afternoon

No snow here yet, I haven't seen snow for years. Now I only a serious storm here. The roof sounds like it can be blown off every moment, but it probably won't: it's been on the house for more than 50 years.

If we get a cold winter, then maybe we will have one last Elfstedentocht, before the climate really starts taking off...

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's cold here, now, temps getting to freezing point. We had some snow flurries the last few days but nothing to stick to the ground yet.

Random thought: It's good to have a fireplace.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
It's been fairly cold here too for this area. Today was cold in the water as I was working... brrr.. I have a feeling this is going to be a cold winter for us!

Linguofreak

Reaction score
No snow here yet, I haven't seen snow for years. Now I only a serious storm here. The roof sounds like it can be blown off every moment, but it probably won't: it's been on the house for more than 50 years.

If we get a cold winter, then maybe we will have one last Elfstedentocht, before the climate really starts taking off...

Interestingly enough, one of the effects speculated for global warming is that it might disrupt the flow of the Gulf Stream, which keeps Europe warm. So while general global temperatures would rise, Europe might actually cool.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Lucky for some people I don't get snow I just get wind and rain :(

Master of Blades

Reaction score
We've got some snow here too... This is the view from the window of my computer-room this afternoon.

On another account, I got the company of two Nazis on the subway home today... Rather unpleasant... :(

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Lucky for some people I don't get snow I just get wind and rain :(

We had some snow in the Netherlands in the weekend, although here close to the coast it was just about 2cm, and disappeared in the evening when it started to rain. Now it's still rainy.

Why does rain feel so much colder than snow? Is it because it soaks your clothing and reaches your skin?