Humor Random Comments Thread

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Do you have a US keyboard layout selected? (I believe it's the default in the installer, so if you weren't paying attention you may have selected it by accident). According to Wikipedia, the positions of the " and @ keys are opposite on UK keyboards to what they are on US keyboards.

Ah, that explains it. Thinking about it, it's kind of weird having quote and double quote marks on different keys. Typical en-gb...

I wonder why they swapped around? @ obviously belongs with !, £, & and friends, not general punctuation like ; , . : :shifty:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Ah, that explains it. Thinking about it, it's kind of weird having quote and double quote marks on different keys. Typical en-gb...

I wonder why they swapped around? @ obviously belongs with !, £, & and friends, not general punctuation like ; , . : :shifty:
Check what keyboard layout was set by default, mine was set to Japanese. :p

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Does that even exist...?

antarctica+without+ice+map.bmp

Of course it does! :p

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
Ie1Nr.png

I try not to post too many ponies on here, but I thought that people would like to see this well drawn vector art.

Last edited:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
If I could find a nice template, I would carve a Probe pumpkin for halloween. Alas, no template could be found :(

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
If I could find a nice template, I would carve a Probe pumpkin for halloween. Alas, no template could be found :(
Couldn't you make one by editing a picture of the Probe in Photoshop or GIMP? :shrug:

Linguofreak

Reaction score

The en-gb layout didn't swap anything around. Back in the day, typewriters had a layout with " on shift-2. I don't know why or when the US computer keyboard layout became established, though I agree with you that the grouping on the US keyboard makes more sense (though that could just be that I was trained into it).

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
The en-gb layout didn't swap anything around. Back in the day, typewriters had a layout with " on shift-2. I don't know why or when the US computer keyboard layout became established, though I agree with you that the grouping on the US keyboard makes more sense (though that could just be that I was trained into it).
Personally, I prefer the UK keyboard layout, unfortunately only the US layout seems to be available here. :\

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Looks pretty rasterised for vector art. :p

Linguofreak, I'd like to see your Luddite setup. Mine is considered 'archaic' by some people, believe it or not:

Well, the "Windows Classic" look is definitely archaic in a refreshing way. Win9x may have been horribly unstable, but the UI designers knew what they were doing a lot better than the glitz-and-glitter types that do most of the UI design today.

OTOH, the fact that you've left the taskbar on its default settings and moved it over to the left reminds me horribly of GNOME 3 or Ubuntu's Unity (which are fairly closely related). This does not get my Luddite seal of approval, as I find such configurations practically unusable.

Long live oldschool taskbars! Down with the upstart docks! :cheers:

Anyways, I here present two screenshots of my desktop. One was originally taken as a "Look, I got Orbiter running on Linux!" screeny during my year in Germany, one was taken within the last hour for the purpose of showing off my desktop:

Bildschirmfoto.png

Screenshot1.png

The default settings for Ubuntu 10.04 (the version I use) look like this:

Ubuntu_10.04_screenshot.png

The two most recent versions of Ubuntu use an interface called "Unity" (ironic for the fact that its love-it-or-hate-it nature has inspired quite a bit of *disunity* in the Ubuntu community), which you would probably like layout-wise, given your Windows setup, but might hate for its glitz (judging by your use of Windows Classic rather than Aero).

---------- Post added at 01:20 ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 ----------

Personally, I prefer the UK keyboard layout, unfortunately only the US layout seems to be available here. :\

You mean as a physical keyboard? That may well be, but you should be able to configure things so that your computer will *treat* your keyboard like a UK keyboard fairly easily.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
You mean as a physical keyboard? That may well be, but you should be able to configure things so that your computer will *treat* your keyboard like a UK keyboard fairly easily.
I hadn't thought of that, although it might annoy anyone else who uses my computer... :hmm:
On second thought, good idea!