RC DeltaGliderIV project

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
Wow that looks amazing dude. :thumbup: Can't wait to see it fly. You got some talent I must say.

Can you please resize your future photos to like 1024x768 though. These are way too huge and take a while to load. None of the quality is lost if you resize them. Thanks.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll do my best, thanks. My RC friends with decades of experience suggested to me to fly my trainer for at least 5 hours before the first flight of the DGIV.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, this has become a real beauty :)
Maybe you consider doing some unpowered glide tests like this guy:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No. The wingloading will be so high that I'm expecting the takeoff velocity to be around 50 km/h. Also, since this thing has no dihedral and a large flat underside of the wing, there's a high chance it might be somewhat unstable at low velocities...

When it's time to go, it's full throttle time.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
maybe a clear plastic keel ?

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Neat to actually see this Orbiter concept in action. I can certainly understand the need for the high takeoff speed. The DGIV has the aerodynamics of a guided rock. It will be one fast plane, by necessity. Make sure you post some You Tube vids.

:cheers:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Neat to actually see this Orbiter concept in action. I can certainly understand the need for the high takeoff speed. The DGIV has the aerodynamics of a guided rock. It will be one fast plane, by necessity. Make sure you post some You Tube vids.

:cheers:

Yea, rock indeed...

The frontal area is huge even at 0° AOA, a delta wing is by "default" not very efficient and when this thing comes in to land and pitches up, the 60 dm^2 of the underbelly will show it's face to the airstream.

Ironically, here's where a larger mass comes in very handy! I've been doing tests on the sim and although a higher wingloading meant I needed to come in faster, it allowed me a longer horizontal glide time over the runway. It was generally easier to land a heavier plane.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
just don't forget to raise the landing gear after you take off! wouldn't want it to blow off!

DanScall

Reaction score
Any update on this, a month down the line? I just found this thread an hour ago, and I have to say I am HUGELY impressed by this.

Southwell

Reaction score
wow awesome project, I just stumbled across this. I am itching for an update on it now!!! Big props RisingFury, i can only imagine the ingenuity you have to build this

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Could you please scale any future pictures down? My internets slow atm so I've only been able to see one picture. It looks really good but where do you buy coloured foil? I've never heard of such a thing.

Darren

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I believe the interwebs would be a good place to start looking ;)