Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting article about the LHC and safety issues:-

http://lsag.web.cern.ch/lsag/LSAG-Report.pdf

6 – Conclusions​
Having reviewed the theoretical and experimental developments since the previous safety report was published, we confirm its findings.
There is no basis for any concerns about the consequences of new particles or forms of matter that could possibly be produced by the LHC.​

Well, thats all right then.

N.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, thats all right then.
Hm.
Then, when they start it up...

The first and last Delta Glider spaceship is launched, in hope to get away from the unfolding black hole:
lhcd-1.jpg

But all the resistance is futile:
lhcd-2.jpg

And they catch a last glance on the sun from out of the void...
lhcd-4.jpg

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
I just read at another message board where I'm signed up, that almost all people there are in panic about the LHC. They said there that there has been a reason that the Americans had sued the CEN. AFAIK, it was only one single man who hasn't even seen a university from inside.

Also, the people there were talking like: "Man, what if this thing kills us all? That's exactly what we need now, especially now that we have a relatively quite world." I don't like people being that ironic.
Somebody said, that research is often hindered by politicans and morons. And I agreed.

I added to that thread the info about the one guy and his lack of university education. Furthermore I mentioned what had happened before the launches of Galileo and Cassini and that nobody was alarmed, when Voyager launched. Maybe because Voyager was beforr Chernobyl.

But I believe the people at that board over there don't even know these three probes. I'll see, what further answers will be written there, and let you know ;).

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If the world happens to end, then I will be dead.

Therefore I am willing to take that chance.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
We'll be fine- as long as the streams don't cross! :lol:

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
Hey, Artlav, good spaghettization!:rofl:
If we die, just remember what Albert Einstein said (something like that, I can't remember how he said actually):
A. Einstein said once:
"Why scare about death? After that there's nothing to worry about"
Anyway, how can a bunch of protons travelling at 99.99999% (what scientist say :withstupid:...) the speed of light create a black hole?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It's not the traveling particles -- it is the possible "stranglets" created when particles collide in opposite directions at that velocity.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Anyway, how can a bunch of protons travelling at 99.99999% (what scientist say :withstupid:...) the speed of light create a black hole?

Actually, even the scientists who proclaim this theory can't explain it well.

Their theory functions something like that: There could be rolled up extra dimensions, are too small to be seen and have never been observed at all, even with the LHC (string theory). The energy of such a collision could create enough energy to let something magical happen to make the extra dimension intersect with our spacetime and create a singularity in gravity called black hole.

At least according to this homepage.
http://lhc-concern.info/

It declares also hawking radiation as questionable, which it to be correct is, but considers the string theory an accepted theory (which it not is), just as well as the even more speculative theory that the strings could create black holes ("Black Holes at the LHC").

My current level of information is, that the string theory did not deliver any testable prediction yet.

Imagineer

Reaction score
Hasn't anyone else noticed that cosmic rays have been bombarding the upper atmosphere with energies over 100EeV (10^20) billions of times per second for millennia? The LHC is shooting for 7TeV (7*10^12). If the collisions in the LHC were likely to create earth-eating black holes, it would have happened years ago.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The strongest cosmic ray so far measured is the "oh my god"-particle, a proton measured in 1991. It reached 300,000,000 TeV when it hit the detector. It was traveling at really almost the speed of light, I think the different to c was only 1E-24 or so.

And the LHC is shooting for 14 TeV. You have two counter-rotating beams.

dmc

Reaction score
Has anyone ever thought that what if this does create another universe? What if when they fire it off and it goes as planned and does its Big Bang thang that it creates a tiny universe inside this machine that last for a split second? If you take that into mind, what if we are in another version of an LHC. What if thats how our big bang happened and what is currently happening. It could be lasting a split second to whoever built to machine and fired it off but to us its lasting an eternity.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was joking with my friends at work the other day that perhaps our current universe was created via a big bang when the people of the previous universe switchd on their own LHC and proceeded to stop existing.

Hipernauta

Reaction score
ja ... good joke

Today boot the last of the giants.

What will be the mysteries, that discover with time?

Will this be, Higgstoric moment for physics?

bujin

Reaction score
This guy made me lol.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10038782-71.html

Gotta love ignorance.

And his "proof" makes him look more looney than the scientists.

Am I the only person who can detect the attempted humourous tone of that blog post? Reading some of the comments, they are calling him ignorant, uninformed, unreasonable, and so on.

But just READ the thing! It's clearly not meant to be taken seriously! :lol:

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One of Robert Heinlein's characters once said something like, as far as I know I've always been alive and always will be. I can't remember being born, and death is in the future and therefore hypothetical at this point.

RocketMan_Len

Reaction score
One of Robert Heinlein's characters once said something like, as far as I know I've always been alive and always will be. I can't remember being born, and death is in the future and therefore hypothetical at this point.

I have that one. :speakcool: "The Cat Who Walks Through Walls"

The Universe began with my birth, and it will end with my death. Everything that happened 'before' is merely a figment of my imagination.

(Something like that... I'll have to look it up. :))

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
Now this thread is turned into philosophy: :eek:fftopic:!

Am I the only person who can detect the attempted humourous tone of that blog post? Reading some of the comments, they are calling him ignorant, uninformed, unreasonable, and so on.

But just READ the thing! It's clearly not meant to be taken seriously! :lol:
I've noticed that, but because there're people making serious of that I got confused.

Last edited: