RInc for plane alignment?

Lacker

Reaction score
My RInc is 19.5, as I'm trying to intercept ISS with Atlantis and I keep running out of gas before I can line up. Am I burning wrong or just WAY off?

Thanks,

A

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
You are way off, and stand no chance of aligning with the fuel available. Launch at the correct times and your rinc should be less than one degree.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually, you have a far worse problem: The maneuver you plan to do, costs too much fuel - even if you do it perfectly.

The Shuttle has only enough fuel for changing it's velocity by about 600 m/s. This is equal to a single plane alignment of only 1.5°, if you want to do something more, make sure your RInc is below 0.5° already after launch, by launching into the right direction and at the right time, using align planes MFD already during launch to improve it.

Lacker

Reaction score
HA I figured that was my problem. The manual says "If you're too far off..." but it doesn't give a reference. I figured 19.5 was pretty bad given every time I'd burn I could decrease it by a degree or two only.

I'm trying to find the Launch MFD so I can time my launch properly but it's not installing. I asked about it in another thread. Tips?

I can get within eye shot of the ISS which, given my fumbling through this in the dark approach is pretty cool IMO.

Thanks all!

A

unknown_orbiter

Orbital Mystery
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Good luck man! According to some, intercepting and docking in Atlantis is the most difficult maneuver. I have more trouble with re-entry personally.

Lacker

Reaction score
Yeah I haven't tried docking or entry yet...still just focusing on launch and intercept. Probably try those two next.

Any tips on the IMFD display?

A

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you look on YouTube or the video thread that Tex started, there are tutorials that talk about powering up I believe is Space Shuttle Ultra. There is also a reference as to do a launch to ISS. I believe the guy that put them together mentions 310 seconds before ISS orbit passes over the Cape then it is a matter of launching at (don't know if the heading are correct, may want to check with another source) 42 degree if the ground track is going to be heading north from your launch site or 115 if your ground track is going south from the launch site.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I'm trying to find the Launch MFD so I can time my launch properly but it's not installing. I asked about it in another thread. Tips?
In that thread you asked about IMFD. Launch MFD is a separate addon found here:
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2802"]Launch MFD - v 1.2.8[/ame]

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Try my 'soyuz to ISS' tutorial on OH. The principles of correct launch time for rv are the same.