RIP Brian the Space Bat

BigJimW

Original Orbiter Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.moonport.org
Hey guys, long time no see. Figured I'd drop in.

Apparently, there was a tragidy. Brian, the daredevil spacebat who wanted to become the first American bat in space, was killed during liftoff of the Space Shuttle Discovery on Sunday, apparently thinking it was safe to ride on the External Tank.

sts-119-bat-ir.jpg

Infrared photography showed NASA scientists that the bat was alive during liftoff. Apparently the little bugger just could not hang on for the entire ride, and is likely the bat dropped off and died in the searing 1400°C exhaust of the throttling boosters.

"Based on images and video, a wildlife expert who provides support to the center said the small creature was a free tail bat that likely had a broken left wing and some problem with its right shoulder or wrist," NASA officials said Tuesday. "The animal likely perished quickly during Discovery's climb into orbit."

Indeed the creature would not have been able to hold on during the event of maximum aerodynamic pressue.

In the hours before Discovery's liftoff, NASA's Final Inspection Team (called the "ICE team") investigated whether the creature would pose a risk to the shuttle if its body impacted the orbiter's sensitive heat shield tiling. Ultimately, NASA officials signed a waiver confirming that the bat was safe to fly with.

sts-119-bat-4.jpg

"The bat eventually became 'Interim Problem Report 119V-0080' after the ICE team finished their walkdown," the memo said. "Systems Engineering and Integration performed a debris analysis on him and ultimately a Launch Commit Criteria waiver to ICE-01 was written to accept the stowaway."

In his last act, the bat had a message

shuttlebrian.jpg

RIP Brian, your sacrifice will always be remembered.

brian_the_bat.jpg

I sent NASA an updated patch

new_sts119_patch01.jpg

So, how has everyone been? I'm really a long time member but have not been on for so long, I guess I was forgotten about. :(

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum!
It is nice to have you back in the community, even with such tragic news.
The new patch is highly appropiate and should be modified on orbit immediately.

Mafuskas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard about this last night, and wondered what became of the little guy. R.I.P. you intrepid little mammal.

In other news, Jim! Wow! long time no talk. You dropped off the radar on OGame, and everything else for that matter. I often wondered what had become of you. Good to see you around. Hope things are going well. :)

BigJimW

Reaction score
Website
www.moonport.org
Yeah, I heard about this last night, and wondered what became of the little guy. R.I.P. you intrepid little mammal.

In other news, Jim! Wow! long time no talk. You dropped off the radar on OGame, and everything else for that matter. I often wondered what had become of you. Good to see you around. Hope things are going well. :)

I'm still alive and kicking maf. I've had so many projects going on it's not even funny. Last time I fired up Orbiter was like 2 versions ago, and it doesn't look like much has changed version wise since I last visited. I hope Martin is OK.

I may make a brief comeback in OGame for a brief period to kick the living crap out of those who has offended me in years gone by. I have to find free time, which unfortunately, has been quite sacarce in recent months/years.

Right now I have a ton of things going on.

We should get the OGame chatroom going again for old times sake. :)

---------- Post added at 01:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 AM ----------

:speakcool:

Oh, and I did too. I may never get a response, but it will give someone there a chuckle. ;)

---------- Post added at 01:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

:welcome: to the forum!
It is nice to have you back in the community, even with such tragic news.
The new patch is highly appropiate and should be modified on orbit immediately.

I used to be an admin here. It was fun in the by gone days.

Ever fly the Project Mercury 5.0 addon? That us my voice as "Flight" And my cockpit design made rave reviews. :)

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Last time I fired up Orbiter was like 2 versions ago, and it doesn't look like much has changed version wise since I last visited.
Welcome Back. You're gonna have to try the XR-2, she's such a sexy beast.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, poor little guy. You gotta admit though that's one heck of a way to go! Ah Brian, you probably have no idea the impact you made to us all. R.I.P.
Welcome back BigJimW!

BigJimW

Reaction score
Website
www.moonport.org
I was wondering when someone would post a YouTube video dedication

I thought this video was pretty good. :)

Unstung

Reaction score
The patch would look better if you cut out the black bat from the Batman logo and just used that. :)
Anyways, I wondered when someone would make a thread on this bat.

BigJimW

Reaction score
Website
www.moonport.org
The patch would look better if you cut out the black bat from the Batman logo and just used that. :)
Anyways, I wondered when someone would make a thread on this bat.

Anyone up to make the space bat addon? :lol:

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Hey Jim! Welcome back indeed! I remember you very well from the old days :lol:
Quite some new things for Orbiter.. And yes, Martin is still actively developing a new version, which is truly exciting and will give some interesting new possibilities!

regards,
mcduck

PS: who we also need back here is MrBatman from the old forum, and we're almost reunited ;)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey Jim,

I always thought you were still around, but you just lurked. Welcome back !

Doesn't fried bat taste like chicken ?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Doesn't fried bat taste like chicken ?

No idea but I'd imagine that there is fried bat and then vapourised bat (the sort you would get in any sort of dodgy Kebab shop) and having dropped through the SRB plume, Brian the space bat is definitely one of the Dodgy-Kebab-shop-vapourised versions.

SlyCoopersButt

Reaction score
The bat would be an extremely small model, Probably the smallest model ever made for Orbiter! From what I read in Wikipedia it should probably weigh 0.2 kilogram and about 8 to 12 cm in size for model. May want to make him flyable as a SC3 vessel for a little fun around the cape! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-tailed_bat