RISE Space Simulator/MMO game

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Has anyone used or seen the "Rise" game? It claims it has realistic atmospheric and orbital physics. It also has an economy and an evolving world. It doesn't seem to have many users though. If this type of game could be done with Orbiter, it would be the most addicting game ever.

LorenzoVargas

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Rise: The Vieneo Project multiplayer Virtual World Game

It's a lot like Orbiter but without all the different add-ons of course.
You make deliveries to space as well as suborbital hops around the globe, maybe even deep exploration of the Solar System.
You get paid and get cool furniture and stuff for your Virtual Apartment that is in a large city. The city is all Virtual 3D so you have to leave the apartment by "Walking out" then get in your car and drive through traffic to the Spaceport, park and climb into your craft. The craft takes a long time just to start up and configure, taxi, take off and reach orbital facilities. This is the part that is much like orbiter.

I really like Rise for its realistic feel. Kids didn't like it much because it feels too much like real work complete with apartment management and commuting.
You start off getting work as a cab driver to get the feel for the interface then level up to assistant pilot and eventually getting your own ship, but that takes a long time.
No monsters or battle cruisers to fight, just a job to do, and an economy to build with all the problems of logistics that come with it. Everyone has to work together to contribute to this enormous project.
Not very exciting to the average Gamer. That's why the membership is limited to some serious pilots working the space ports. It has a very mature feel to the whole scene. Kids just won't have the patience, but that's good because that means no traffic on the way to the Port!
The City is sleek but rainy most of the time with some rough weather to drive and fly though.

Try it out for two weeks for free! At $5.95 a Month it's one of the cheapest MMORPG's out there.
But with hardly anyone there you might as well build your own projects alone in Orbiter for free.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
um, no, infinity's focus is not on realism, but on a seemless procedural galaxy on all levels (I.e. fly from star to star, then on a planet, then land on a planet, then get out for a hike, stuff like that, pretty much like good old Elite:Frontier). I saw noone in infinity project ever claim that it will be realistic or physically accurate. I would expect physics in infinity to be somewhere around I-War level, if they ever get it done, that is.