Gaming Roberts Space Industries: Star Citizen

malisle

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Except, of course, Freelancer wasn't "zero-gravity". It gave darn all about Isaac Newton. I didn't say the control method sucked (which, incidentally, isn't an invention from Freelancer, it was first used in Star Trek: 25th Anyversary, a point-and-click adventure with the odd bit of space combat thrown in), I said the flightmodel (and especially the silly way of getting from planet to planet by "subway tubes") wasn't my cup of tea.

Freelancer needed such controls to allow diversity of the "terrain". Remember all those asteroid fields with just meters to spare between rocks, or nebulas with explosive pockets of gas? No way such terrains could exist and be navigated through if they cared about gravity and inertia. It was all about fun, and I think they did a great job. As for the "tubes", they outright sucked unless you needed a convenient way to ambush that gold freighter away from security forces :D

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Freelancer did have a bit of inertia, you could "engine kill" and continue to drift in the direction you were going while turning and shooting in another direction.

And subway tubes make perfect sense in a universe where planets don't orbit around the sun! I think the tubes were a decent enough solution to a couple desires in the game:
1. Keep combat relatively slow, so you don't have high relative velocities
2. Keep the universe accessible (even with the tubes it takes ~15min to get from one end of house space to the other)
3. Allow interdiction of trade routes

Just giving ships warp engines would have solved 2, but would have violated either 1 or 3.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
sure, i just happen to like i-wars solution of those problems a lot more... :p

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
If Funding Hits $50 Million, Developers Will Create Their Own Alien Languages.

I think it's a safe bet they'll pass $50 million: Star Citizen Blasts Past $48 Million In Funding, Makes $1 Million in Three Weeks

star-citizen-1.jpg

And once again, Roberts speaks out about consoles. “Star Citizen IS a PC game. It will NEVER be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.”

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
50 million...

It's ok, developers... no pressure at all... :shifty:

A blockbuster budget for a blockbuster game...

Sims 4 has likely even a bigger budget.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It looks like one so far, and last time I checked, looks were pretty much the only criterium by which a game is judged to be AAA or not...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
That's be nice... if my computer could run it without bursting into flames.

Or if I could afford it.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Its looking like its going to be a good game, as long as RSI can work around Cryengine forcing them to use severe instancing. If done wrong the instancing will completely break the persistent universe.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
I just discovered this project, and I can't wait for the full version to come out. Funding is over $150 million and the ambitions for this game keep rising. It's amazing doing a YouTube search for star citizen and looking at the incredible detail of the ships, planets, and cities.

This looks like one game that will live up to the hype, whenever it is released (Tuesday?). I like that the developers are not rushing it and want everything to be right.