Gaming Roberts Space Industries: Star Citizen

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That would be a turret, I think...
But on a sphere, in the middle of the ship? The guns stick out too much for it to be able to point in every direction practically, and then there's the problem of reloading the thing...

There are more realistic and less cartoony ways of making turrets...

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Star Citizen funding has reached (and passed) the 10.000.000$ goal!!
I mean...TEN million dollars!! Doesn't it sound like a crazy amount of money?

From http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/comprehensive-stretch-goals/

$10 Million - MISSION ACHIEVED!

Cloud Imperium will use the additional funds to open our own mocap studio, significantly improving the finished game and future live content.

From http://starcitizen.wikia.com/wiki/Stretch_Goals

Our big goal before the website is $10 million. That’s a crazy amount of money, but we have a plan for it: $10 million would allow Cloud Imperium to build our own mocap studio rather than hiring out time from someone else. Renting mocap equipment and studio time is expensive: upwards of $35,000 a day, with four hours work for each 30-second segment. Having our own studio would cost more right now but will allow us to produce a lot more content for Star Citizen in the long run! We’ll provide more details very soon, but here’s one thought right now: it would even allow us to mocap a few lucky fans into the finished game!

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...And now (drum roll) they've reached the 12 million $ goal!
This just sounds unbelievable to me...

:cheers:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
...And now (drum roll) they've reached the 12 million $ goal!
This just sounds unbelievable to me...

:cheers:

They could also have the $20 million goal, if they deliver something for the money. :lol: $12 million is a nice average for a professional video game development, good to know that they can now calculate in different dimensions. After all, if you have $12 million already as investments, you can also more easily get loans, should the need arise.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Why do the ships have little fans in the front.

Why do some of the ships have aerodynamic vanes that are visible changing while it's maneuvering.

WHY

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because it isn't intended to be realistic, despite the creator's claim that it is.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't mind "unrealistic." Freelancer wasn't very realistic, but it was very fun.

But things like FANS on the front of the ships are more than just "unrealistic," they're "stupid."

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Agreed totally. But this Roberts guy is very keen on the moneymaking ($20 million up front, anyone?) so I'm sure he's just catering to the majority of the minority who would even consider playing this game.

And they are, in all likelyhood, fairly stupid.

SomeGuy

Reaction score
Agreed totally. But this Roberts guy is very keen on the moneymaking ($20 million up front, anyone?) so I'm sure he's just catering to the majority of the minority who would even consider playing this game.

And they are, in all likelyhood, fairly stupid.

It's a AAA project without a AAA publisher. That's quite ambitious. I think it would be a breathe of fresh air for the genre. The players are really excited about the project. I know I am!

The dog fight module is not out yet and it's not determined how real it will feel. I'm hopeful. I don't think the majority of the player base is stupid. Maybe there looking at it from the point of view that it'll be a great game....

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Really, the closer the flight is to Freelancer, the happier I'll be.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Interesting. I thought the flight model in freelancer to be extremely boring...

While X made me feel like flying from shelf to shelf in space-walmart, Frelancer made me feel like riding a subway with an occasional bit of boom. It was fun, but I couldn't bring myself to play more after the campaign.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Really? For me, the Freelancer control scheme is the best way of controlling a ship in 3d zero-gravity space with a mouse & keyboard that I've ever used...and I've used quite a few. Whenever I try something else I usually find myself wishing it was more like Freelancer.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
With the launch of the new consoles, there was apparently some discussion that Star Citizen might make its way to the consoles.

Chris Roberts says otherwise.

"Star Citizen is a PC game," he wrote. "It will never be dumbed down for a lesser platform. We will NOT limit the input options or supported peripherals to the lowest common denominator. We will NOT pass on features and technology just because they will only run on some hardware configurations.

_350r_brochure_v005_compflat.0_cinema_720.0.jpg

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
About time someone took that attitude.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I really, really want to see this game come through, but I've held off on contributing funds because something is really irking me.

Is the only way to acquire ships to purchase them now, as opposed to the ingame economy, or is this just a sort of "early access" to look around the ships and have them and such?

EDIT: Do respect his approach to it. One of my favorite RTS games, Supreme Commander, tanked when they dumbed it down for consoles.

blixel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I really, really want to see this game come through, but I've held off on contributing funds because something is really irking me.

Is the only way to acquire ships to purchase them now, as opposed to the ingame economy, or is this just a sort of "early access" to look around the ships and have them and such?

According to the FAQ, "..we will NEVER sell anything that can't be acquired through honest (and fun!) gameplay."

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Really? For me, the Freelancer control scheme is the best way of controlling a ship in 3d zero-gravity space with a mouse & keyboard that I've ever used...

Except, of course, Freelancer wasn't "zero-gravity". It gave darn all about Isaac Newton. I didn't say the control method sucked (which, incidentally, isn't an invention from Freelancer, it was first used in Star Trek: 25th Anyversary, a point-and-click adventure with the odd bit of space combat thrown in), I said the flightmodel (and especially the silly way of getting from planet to planet by "subway tubes") wasn't my cup of tea.