Running Orbiter in Triple Head setup

HarvesteR

Reaction score
Hello...

i've been an Orbiter fan for quite a while now, playing it on and off for a few years....

some time ago i got myself a triple head setup, which basically consists of 3 monitors hooked up together through a little device from Matrox, which makes for an exceptionally wide screen that displays across them...
ever since i got it, i've been wanting to play Orbiter on all three screens, which requires it to run on a 3840x1024 resolution (15:4 aspect ratio) or similar (such as 3072x768)

the problem is that Orbiter doesn't like to run at such resolutions, and crashes back to desktop when it hits the loading screen...

Full-screen or windowed mode have the same effect... i'm only able to run it when i set the screen res to a more conventional 1240x1024 res or lower... any 5:4 or 4:3 res works, the problem is with the unconventional aspect ratio of the Triple Head

so i ask: is there a way to make Orbiter run at such resolutions?

if not, well, i leave this as a suggestion for a next version feature ;)

Cheers

HarvesteR

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
You can not make it run at such resolutions. This is known and will most likely be history when the core is seperated from the renderer with the next version.
AFAIK there have been two extensive threads at M6 about it. Not really interesting for you except the maximum sizes that have been worked out.
At least you can run external MFDs on the outer displays and have a clear view on the central screen.

Do you have, or plan to, incorporate this into a simpit?

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Do you think maybe you can convice Orbiter you're running at a very large resolution with a standard aspect ratio.

Then set up your Matrox screen so that way only the center band is displayed across the monitors? So you end up cutting off the top and bottom of the 'official' screen.

I don't know anything. I'm just making this stuff up. ;)

EtherDragon

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am able to run my installation of Orbiter at 1650x1080 without problems.

I think the key is that the resolution has to be directly supported by the driver.

Have you tried re-enumerating the video devices and then chosing the resolution again?

FalconAF

Reaction score
I have the TH2G also. If you run Orbiter in Windowed Mode you can set the resolution to 2054 x 1024. Do NOT check the "Force 4:3 Aspect Ratio" under the resolution setting. You can now drag the window anywhere across the 3-wide TH2G screen. And it leaves plenty of room to use the External MFD's outside the Orbiter window. This gives you "full views" in the Orbiter window, which makes for some great sight-seeing.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As far as I know, orbiter doesn't work well with resolutions like that, however I have heard that Artlav's OpenGL client can run them.

FalconAF

Reaction score
As far as I know, orbiter doesn't work well with resolutions like that, however I have heard that Artlav's OpenGL client can run them.

Well, I've been running it that way for over a year on my TH2G monitor setup, and not in OpenGL either. Three 19" monitors. I "found out" about it from a forum post in the old forum over a year ago (it's still archived there...do a search on TH2G).

In the Launchpad, choose Windowed Mode, then manually set the resolution to 2054 x1024 (anything higher will abort the Orbiter startup back to desktop). Don't check the "Force 4:3 Ratio". Orbiter will load and display in a window at 2048 x 992 (shown if you hit the "F" key to display the frame rate).

EDIT: Here's a link to the actual "window" it shows up in, with the resolution. I can drag the window anywhere across the 3 monitors, and leave space for the External MFD's outside the window on the remainer of the desktop. (If the picture comes up "small" from the link below at ImageShack, just click on it with your mouse, then you can scroll around it).

Been doing it for over a year now at least.