Running Orbiter with Windows 8

skinsey1

Reaction score
I was with a group of guys tonight who most all use to use the Orbiter sim with Windows 7. There wasn't one of us who thought the program was even going anymore. I stumble upon this group and thought somehow I would try to ask the question if anyone knows if it is supported on Windows 8. There is nobody I know who has been able to make the program work with 8. Is there a new download somewhere we can't see/ Any help would be really cool, this used to be such a cool teaching tool for us, we would all love to think we could use it one day again.

Kind Regards,

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There are several Orbinauts using Windows 8, most of the problems encountered involve the dialog box and some "missing" buttons. IIRC the buttons are there, just not being displayed?

At the moment I'm not able to link to a specific thread, but use the search function and you should find several hit.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Maybe try installing it on 8 and then if you have problems search for specific solutions?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Orbiter is running fine for me on Windows 8.1 -- no issues at all.

wirenom

Reaction score
I can run Orbiter under Windows 8, but have a problem once I hit f4 or some other function. The function box comes up, but there is no way to get rid of it. Selecting F4 again does nothing. There is no x in the upper right corner of the box, so it can't be closed that way. I tried experimenting with control function f4, and other keys, with no luck.
Anyone else have this problem? Do you know of any solutions?

Gothmog

Reaction score
I just went through this issue myself, and found the answer in another thread somewhere around here--the close button is there even though it isn"t shown. Just single-click where you would expect the button to be, and the function window or menu will close. The only tricky bit is that whe trying to close the F4 menu, it"s too easy to open up the help dialog instead, as it's the first listed option in the menu.

DonR

Reaction score
I can run Orbiter under Windows 8, but have a problem once I hit f4 or some other function. The function box comes up, but there is no way to get rid of it. Selecting F4 again does nothing. There is no x in the upper right corner of the box, so it can't be closed that way. I tried experimenting with control function f4, and other keys, with no luck.
Anyone else have this problem? Do you know of any solutions?

I'm having this problem.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The [X] button is up there, you just can't see it. If you put your mouse pointer where you "know" it to be and click, it'll close.

Since this thread began I've gotten a laptop with Win 8.1 and I can run Orbiter more or less fine.

Anroalh12

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I also have Windows 8.1. The problem is that my screen is 1920x1080 and orbiter only allows me 1536x960 as the maximum possible resolution. Do you know what is the problem?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I also have Windows 8.1. The problem is that my screen is 1920x1080 and orbiter only allows me 1536x960 as the maximum possible resolution. Do you know what is the problem?
Full screen or window? For window make sure that 16:9 aspect ration is selected.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Have you tried updating your video card drivers? Or tried using D3D9Client?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I bought this computer 2 weeks ago, so video card drivers are updated. I'll try D3D9.
Thanks DaveS
Actually, your drivers are not up to date. No computer is completely up to date when it leaves the manufacturer, especially peripheral components such as video/sound cards. Not even the motherboard drivers are the latest. They just use basic "it will run OK" drivers. The specific updated drivers have to be obtained from the sound/video card(s) manufacturer web site (in my case, NVIDIA's). So try that.