OHM RV Orientation

Furet

Reaction score

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
Thanks Furet. Now i tryed the link from the other thread and the files are working! The both files of the link from the original documentation for the vcredist_x64 and vcredist_x86 didn't work. The files sizes from old and new link are different too (old files about half size).

@ADSWNJ
Here the working link, this should be better linked to the documentation:
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26999

After that i deleted the msvcr100.dll from the orbiter directory and RV_orientation works!

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It would be very interesting to see the footprint delta on the installs from these different packages.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's a progress shot from my RV Orientation 2.0 Alpha...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/84337094@N02/9544799837/

This is a XR-5 inbound to ISS Port 4. The extended guidance corridor shows a track from the port out 500m to SWP.0.0, then 30 degrees rotated to SWP.0.30, then another 30 to SWP.0.60, and then an extended track to my ship's position when I activated the track.

The color coding for the rectangles is gold for primary track, light blue for alert mode that we are on the last 50m of this segment, light magenta for the last guidance on this segment (i.e. reorient to the start point of the next segment). On the docking segment, you may see that the rectangles shrink onto the port.

It's coming along nicely!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Looks amazing. This'll be a huge help! I hope you can port it into glideslope as well.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looks amazing. This'll be a huge help! I hope you can port it into glideslope as well.

Yes, for sure - that's the next port of those rectangles.

I'm working on the segment intersections right now. I want a min bend radius for each turn to avoid the sharp angle turns (especially on the turn from the spherical WP's to the final approach). I'm figuring out how to position a circle on the inside of the turn, with center-axis as the cross-product of the ingress and egress vectors, and touching each vector (excluding the special case where the vectors are identical directions).

The autopilot has a hard time staying smooth on the sharp (e.g. 70 degree) vertices at 10x acceleration! I want to sort that out before first beta.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it necessary to implement a smooth turn? Just thinking how I typically do maneuvers, once I'm close to the next "turn" point, I orient my ship to the new orientation, then use translation thrusters to establish myself on the new trajectory.

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it necessary to implement a smooth turn? Just thinking how I typically do maneuvers, once I'm close to the next "turn" point, I orient my ship to the new orientation, then use translation thrusters to establish myself on the new trajectory.

That's what I originally thought too! Currently I have the last box of the previous segment (the magenta one) at 50m to WP, and then the autopilot blends a mix of the two directions as it approaches the waypoint (i.e. at 50m away, 100% the previous direction, 25m away, a 50%-50% blend of the two, and at 0m away, 100% new direction). This works perfectly for gentle turns, and looks beautiful in the autopilot at 1x and 10x. However, on a sharp turn - say a 110 degree switchback - you are looking at the wrong side of the rectangle if you are flying manually, and the autopilot struggles to hold a smooth path a 1x, and goes real loose in the turn on a 10x. Hence putting in the bend radius logic. It's a small thing, but I think important to make the approach feel really natural and smooth. (I'll also need it later for the Glideslope version in atmospheric flight.)

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's been a while, due to real life getting in the way, but I have been noodling on RV Orientation a couple of hours a week or when I get a chance.

Here's another private drop of the RV Orientation MFD/HUD. Unpack it into Orbiter/Modules/Plugin and let me know how you get on.

This version has smarter logic for the approach corridor selection. The general idea is that you are not allowed to fly within the safety range (e.g. 500m) of target, without being aligned with your chosen docking port. Select SWP mode (spherical waypoint) and it looks for a target waypoint around the safety sphere, at safety distance + 250m, stepping round in 30 deg longitude and 15 degree latitude (relative to target port) until you get to 30 long and 0 or 15 lat. From here, you come in to 15 deg long, 0 or 15 lat, then 0 / 0 at the safety distance, then straight in on port.

After playing with the "bendi-pipe" connectors between the WP segments, I took them out for this version. I agree with the previous posts that they are not needed, especially now with the turn in onto final alignment dropping from e.g. 15 degrees long and 750m to 0 degrees at 500m. So um ... give it a go and let me know.

The AP does a good job flying the route, but it's a good kick to fly it manually!

Attachments

• RV_Orientation (20131027).zip
    41.5 KB · Views: 18

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Thanks ADSWNJ, I'm going to give this a whirl this weekend:thumbup:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Just tried it out ADSWNJ,and it works wonderfully,but I would like to see an option to be able to turn on,and off the yellow boxes,and leave the directional arrows,and vice versa,keep up the great work,and thanks.:cheers:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just tried it out ADSWNJ,and it works wonderfully,but I would like to see an option to be able to turn on,and off the yellow boxes,and leave the directional arrows,and vice versa,keep up the great work,and thanks.:cheers:

No problem at all. I'll give the HUD button 3 states (off, on-arrows, on-full).

On really old ships, the HUD Hooking doesn't work at all (e.g. CEV-Orion). It's interesting trying to fly an accurate approach route just off the MFD readouts. (Doable though!)
:thumbup:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey ADSWNJ,is it possible for you to please fix the hud info to look not so scrambled up when using the 3D cockpit with the default Delta glider?

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score

HUD 3-way mode added. Toggles between no HUD, arrows only, and full HUD as you would expect.

On the DG virtual cockpit mode ... who knew it even worked in that mode? :)
I'll see what I can do to tweak the fontsize way down to fit that resolution. Probably need to reduce the decimal places too.

Attachments

• RV_Orientation (20131101).zip
    41.4 KB · Views: 9

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
New day release. This one fixes up the fonts and positioning for HUDs of < 500 pixels wide (i.e. 3D Virt Cockpit for DG and the like). I've shrunk the font by half, dropped the bold, and repositioned the elements to fit the narrow screen. The RV mode goes to the bottom right, the arrows scrunch in a bit and down to avoid the other HUD elements (e.g. nav settings), the left values tuck under the arrow, and the right values tuck over the arrow.

Let me know what you think?

Attachments

• RV_Orientation (20131102).zip
    41.8 KB · Views: 13

Interceptor

Reaction score
OK,I just tried it out with GL-01,all works,and looks great except in the bottom right hand corner the APR APT APP are not showing up in the virtual hud even when moving the hud around,other than that no problems.Thanks again.

Attachments

• 13.11.03 05-23-35 GL-02.jpg
    13.11.03 05-23-35 GL-02.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 24

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK,I just tried it out with GL-01,all works,and looks great except in the bottom right hand corner the APR APT APP are not showing up in the virtual hud even when moving the hud around,other than that no problems.Thanks again.

Fixed.

I'm pushing a v3.0 full release version now on to OrbitHangar, with updated documentation, the latest version (with this HUD fix and several other tweaks), and of course the source (per GPL).

---------- Post added at 04:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Now posted ... please see the top of this thread for the V3 version.

Keatah

Reaction score
pressing PRT button on the mfd first thing straight away causes CTD.