Scenario Scenario Editing?

Shadownailshot

Reaction score
I want to know, before I go in and try to do it... How do I edit or create scenarios?

What I want to do is add/remove/change the craft that are in the scenarios, or even create my own scenarios so that I can set up things i want to do, rather than trying to do those things with the present ships.

Basically I'd like to put the arrow freighter, several XR2s, an XR5, DGIV 2, and maybe a couple Shuttle As in a single scenario, while keeping ISS, Mir, and the Moon Wheel in there.

Is this feasible in a reasonable amount of time, or do I have to learn how to code or something ridiculous like that?

sorindafabico

Reaction score
There's a plugin called Scenario Editor. Go to the modules screen in launchpad and mark "ScnEditor". In the simulation, Ctrl + F4 >> Scenario Editor. It's intuitive, but, if you need help, look into Orbiter manual.

Also, you can use the Notepad to edit the .SCN files located in Scenarios folder.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
you shouldn't bother CREATING scenarios, just load one thats already made, then delete any vessels you dont want in the scenario editor, as sorindafabico said, Press [CTRL]+[F4], select "Scenario Editor", then click "next"* (i think it says next anyway)

than you can select the vessels in the scenario, manually edit their landed position/orbit, or change the date/time of the scenario.

when you've set everything up, press save and fill in some basic info, so you don't have to do it all again soon!

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah, it is much easier to edit a scenario editor than just writting one up from scratch.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Absolutely.

Pick a mesh from the drop down list in the editor and name it. Its default position when it spawns is orbiting Earth, and you can place it wherever you want from there, using the editor as described before. :)

Shadownailshot

Reaction score
Very nice. All of the meshes in my folder should be there, right? I'm sorry for the questions, I would test this right now, but I'm currently at work and cannot test it.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any vessels wich has configuration files should be listed in the Scenario Editor. If you can't find a certain vessel or mesh, it may be that it is placed in a folder at the bottom of the window or that the mesh doesn't have a config file.

Shadownailshot

Reaction score
Awesome, thank you. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this. Is there a limit on how many vessels I can add to a scenario?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There's no practical limit on the maximum number of vessels. You will however certainly run into memory problems with many hundreds or thousands of vessels, though that's not an Orbiter limitation.

Somewhat related: scenarios may become easier to work with using [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5749"]this plugin[/ame] for Notepad++.

Shadownailshot

Reaction score
I wasn't planning on adding thousands (lol) I can't possibly use that many ships. I can really only use one at a time. I just thought it would be neat to do multiple rendezvous around different planetary bodies before heading out to Jupiter or Saturn.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Can I add vessels to the scenario that way?

You will find that most add-ons, and probably all that are worth your time, come with scenarios files with that particular vessel in them.

This is not just done for the ease of quick load to just get in and fly. It is also there for a reference on how to add a vessel to your scenario. For instance, you want to add Shuttle Fleet to a scenario, you have to do it this way, as trying to add it via the Scenario Editor inside Oribter will not work.

Same goes for things which use Multistage or Velcro rockets.

Shadownailshot

Reaction score
You will find that most add-ons, and probably all that are worth your time, come with scenarios files with that particular vessel in them.

This is not just done for the ease of quick load to just get in and fly. It is also there for a reference on how to add a vessel to your scenario. For instance, you want to add Shuttle Fleet to a scenario, you have to do it this way, as trying to add it via the Scenario Editor inside Oribter will not work.

Same goes for things which use Multistage or Velcro rockets.

I've found that the few things I've added so far have come with scenarios, but I wanted to lump XR2, XR5, DGIV2, and UCGO, along with some of the stock craft into one scenario. I think these can all be done with the scenario editor.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Yeah, with those true, they play very well with the Scenario Editor. Some things require file editing, such as using a skin for the XRs.

Shadownailshot

Reaction score
Yeah, with those true, they play very well with the Scenario Editor. Some things require file editing, such as using a skin for the XRs.

Yea, I'm not to concerned about those things right now. I've only started playing recently and I'm just getting the hang of the game. I've only done moon transfers, ISS rendezvous, and a Mars-Jupiter flight (didn't make it back lol). Only the easy stuff so far.

spacemonkey81

lost in space
Reaction score
Any vessels wich has configuration files should be listed in the Scenario Editor. If you can't find a certain vessel or mesh, it may be that it is placed in a folder at the bottom of the window or that the mesh doesn't have a config file.

im trying to make a scenario with some station parts that dont show up in the list, normally this is no problem, i just open the scenario file with word and copy/paste in a part from another scenario file, however the thing im trying to build uses one part twice, and im not able to copy the object this way.
the same thing cant exist twice right (maybe in the quantum-world, but not here:lol:) also renaming the object in the scenario file doesnt work either,
if i do that the object becomes invisible...you guys know how to work around this?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
im trying to make a scenario with some station parts that dont show up in the list, normally this is no problem, i just open the scenario file with word and copy/paste in a part from another scenario file, however the thing im trying to build uses one part twice, and im not able to copy the object this way.
You're using Word for this? That's pretty inefficient; Notepad is more useful for this application. Above that, I'd recommend Notepad++.
the same thing cant exist twice right (maybe in the quantum-world, but not here:lol:) also renaming the object in the scenario file doesnt work either,
if i do that the object becomes invisible...you guys know how to work around this?

Those are likely Spacecraft3 vessels, whose name must be the same as its configuration file, an INI file in the "Config\spacecraft" folder with the vessel's name. If you want to have more than one, the most straightforward way is to copy the ini, then rename the new one to something else, and then add it to the scenario with NewVesselName:spacecraft\Spacecraft3

Last edited:

spacemonkey81

lost in space
Reaction score
yep, ur right, this program is certainly better. ill be trying the copying 2nite, see how that works out....thanks for the advice:thumbup:

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Another workaround-workaround-workaround (yes, I said that three times, because it IS a process, yet I've experienced it DOES work) is to use [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5177"]Artlav's spacecraft3->DLL converter[/ame]. It involves a few extra steps, but I've been able to spawn multiple [former] sc3 vessels in a scenario (for example, during station-building) that way.

Something else to try, when you've got the time, anyway. :)

spacemonkey81

lost in space
Reaction score
:hmm:this copying doesnt seem to work....i also downloaded this dll converter, but not sure how to use it, it does work, i can see that from the armdock example, so i guess i have to place files from the thing im trying to covert in the sources folder, but witch files exactly? the armdock example has cpp-files, h-files, sln-files, and vcproj-files in the sources folder, but i cant find any of those types of files on my object, and it is from the spacecraft3-family (the NERVA2)......any of u guys know? im no cpuwizz, sorry