Science Science(ish) anyway...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I couldn't figure if I should ask this here or the astronomy/night sky sub-forum; but given that that's mainly about observations and photography I figured here'd be best.

Anyway, this deals with photography too, but mainly I'm looking for something for my telescope. I've got a 4" Celestron (the familiar orange tube). Works great, I can see the color bands of Jupiter, rings of Saturn, yada yada yada... But I've been looking for some kind of UV pass-through filter so I can see into the UV spectrum. I figure there are plenty of D I Y types here on the forum, and that here would be a good place to ask. Some of the other photography or star gazing forums either give too much info that I'm saturated, or they trash talk because some of us don't have $5K or more invested in their gear and are therefore not worthy.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I guess you could crank open one of these cheap so-called black lights of the incandescent variety, and carefully with a very sharp point, say a diamond glass cutting tip, get some of the glass from the bulb, enough to cover the CCD of the camera... you could then take near UV photography ... That's the way I'd do it.

There, just found an instructable on the subject :) Seems I'm not the first to think this up! :cheers:

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I guess you could crank open one of these cheap so-called black lights of the incandescent variety, and carefully with a very sharp point, say a diamond glass cutting tip, get some of the glass from the bulb, enough to cover the CCD of the camera... you could then take near UV photography ... That's the way I'd do it.

There, just found an instructable on the subject :) Seems I'm not the first to think this up! :cheers:

Now that deserves proper McGyver Award.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, i got one by searching ebay for "uv pass filter".
"pass" is an important word, since there are tons of the scam "UV filters" that are just transparent glass with claimed magical properties.